main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who left Rey on Jakku?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nonesuch, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Baghdad

Baghdad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, I'll be honest here. I don't know who left Rey there.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There are few who do.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  4. Lord-Roy

Lord-Roy Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    This is why i think Rey is going to be a Kenobi. No way Luke would drop her off in a random desert on Jakku. My guess it that Obi Wans descendant's did, maybe not wanting to deal with a force sensitive during the empires reign.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I don't think that justifies a Kenobi descendant do the same thing.

6. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Plutt's nature and Jakku's environment speaks against anyone potentially connected to Rey that is still alive. I've advanced ideas that she was dumped by someone on the run therefore having no choice.

It bothers me that the Falcon is also with Plutt. Star Wars doesn't do massive coincidence. How about the Irving Boys dropping her off?

rowan_greenleaf likes this.
  7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    While it's an interesting theory that Kylo left Rey on Jakku, this is the reason the entire theory falls apart.
    1. Kylo discovers that the map to Luke Skywalker is in the hands of Lor San Tekka on Jakku and never bothers to determine if Lor San Tekka also knows about Rey's presence on Jakku.

Now place yourself in Kylo's boots: Lor San Tekka who knows your family and you and has the map to Luke Skywalker and he's on Jakku, the very same planet you left Rey?! What is the probability that Lor San Tekka also knows about Rey? Pretty high! High enough to take him back to the ship and interrogate him or look into his mind (just like Poe Dameron) to make absolutely sure Lor San Tekka has no knowledge of Rey -- and if he does know about Rey, then who else might know as well? If Kylo's goal is to make sure she's never found by fellow Darksiders (or anyone else for that matter), then he would want to verify no one else knew of Rey's presence on Jakku.
    Kylo has the ability to look into Tekka's mind so why not use it like he did to Poe Dameron? Nope, Kylo just cuts him down. Pretty illogical if you're the one to hide Rey on Jakku.

The more logical theory is Kylo saved Rey from the slaughter at the Jedi Academy, and then told a currently-unknown-person to escape with Rey and make sure Rey could never be found by Luke or Kylo's Knights of Ren. This unidentified person does so, but perhaps believing that they are in danger of being captured, decides to make a stop at an obscure planet, drop off Rey, and promise that he/she will come back for Rey. Unidentified person then continues to flee from pursuers. Later, this unidentified person may have provided the only person they trusted (Lor San Tekka) with knowledge of Rey's whereabouts.

This scenario seems more logical when Kylo hearing that a girl escaped with BB-8 becomes so undone (What girl?!) because he suspects it may be Rey - suspecting the Force to be at work with the coincidence of Lor San Tekka, the map to Luke Skywalker, and Rey all being on the same planet.

Kylo's line in the novel "Is it you" seems to support this surprise at finally finding Rey again.

8. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

I agree with your points regarding Kylo Ren and Lor San Tekka. As to the bolded, the glitch is that we know Rey was in Jakku long before the massacre at the academy. Also, I feel like there has to be some kind of an attachment between Rey and whoever left her on Jakku, otherwise she wouldn't be literally counting the days waiting for their return. I don't think a random 'unidentified person' would have made that much of an impact on her, you know?

I agree with you that there's every indication that Kylo Ren knew Rey or knew OF Rey before encountering her in Takodana. Otherwise "What.GIRL?" makes no sense.

rumblewagon likes this.
  9. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Good points! I'm curious how we know Rey was on Jakku before the massacre at the academy though? I also heard on Rebel Force Radio a theory that Rey is counting the days as way of saying, "I've survived another day here" rather than how many days until my family comes back for me....

whostheBossk and rowan_greenleaf like this.
  10. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

Good thought about counting the days of survival; that is certainly a possibility. I'm still thrown off the idea of a random person dropping her off in Jakku because she states she is waiting for her family, but you never know; it's definitely possible that she had her memories messed with, or that whoever dropped her off told her that her family would come back for her.

As to the timeline, this is info that has been pieced together based on the fact that Rey has been on Jakku since around age 5 (14/15 years) and that Pablo Hidalgo stated on Twitter that the massacre at Luke's happened more recently than that. Here is the link to that conversation:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/679440221725851649

Of course this is "piecing together" and not written in stone. One of my biggest issues with TFA is that there is all this information out there completely outside of the film, but that is neither here nor there. :p

To your point, it's true that we don't know KNOW for certain.

rumblewagon likes this.
  11. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015

You make a good point, but I don't find it too strange. I'm not sure if it's been established where Lor San Tekka's village is in relation to Rey's base of operations, but they're treated as entirely separate locations in the film. Also, I don't think Kylo would have any reason to worry about Tekka being aware of Rey, for the following reasons:

1. In my theory, Rey is unrelated - just a student at Luke's Academy. Therefore, there's no reason why Tekka would have come into direct contact with her, since she's not a member of the Skywalker family.
    2. Rey's memories and Force powers were suppressed. On the off chance that Tekka did spy a very young Rey while visiting Luke's Academy, there's no reason for him to connect that very young child to the random young woman who occasionally visits with messages/deliveries from Unkar Plutt.
    3. While I believe the tie-in material explains that Rey makes occasional visits to the village, there's no reason why she would have dealt with Tekka directly.

And on top of all that, you have the following:

1. Kylo murders Tekka and massacres the villagers. Any potential information about/knowledge of Rey will have died with them.
    2. Kylo is impulsive and driven by his feelings and emotions in the moment. He's probably long since forced Rey from his mind, and wasn't actively thinking of her when he visited the village. She only came back to life for him, so to speak, when he heard that she was involved with the droid.

I do think your theory is interesting and possible, but I find it unlikely because it creates an unnecessary party to the proceedings, necessitating explanation of a long-dead and mostly irrelevant character who effectively only functions as a middle man. I don't think they'd waste a character like that - it would make more sense to focus on the two main parties involved, namely Rey and Kylo.

rumblewagon likes this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    When I first saw the movie I thought it was Lor San Tekka who was holding her hand, but the second time I saw it I realized that it was Plutt instead. The same thing goes with Kylo killing the Knight of Ren — at first I thought it was just some Jedi that had been backstabbed by Kylo and not some fellow KOR. The more you watch this movie the more you realize that there are many things you can miss with the first viewing. That's the beauty of Star Wars — it has that magic in almost every scene.

As far as who dropped off Rey on Jakku, it doesn't make sense for her parents to leave her to a harsh life, as such as it was. Kylo Ren (I suspect) makes the most sense in that regard — especially if he felt sure that she might, on her own, perish on such a miserable backwater world, anyway. And if you look at Unkar Plutt, there's no mistaking the guy, too — he seems no different than who Watto was, which is nothing more than a slaver.

Well, whatever the case, Kylo Ren had no intention of killing her himself (or ever recovering her, for that matter), and was probably surprised that she had survived all these years. Hence his reaction when he found out that a girl was involved — a girl he suspected was probably dead at that point.

13. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Sure Rey and Lor San Tekka are not "near" one another on Jakku, but in terms of the scope of the galaxy, they might as well be living right next to each other. This is why I think alarm bells would go off like crazy in Kylo's mind when he learns that 1. Lor San Tekka, 2. Skywalker map, and 3. Rey are all on the same planet in such a vast, vast galaxy. Which is why I don't think Kylo knows Rey is on Jakku (or left her there). (Not depicted in the movie, but in the novel, Rey does see the fires from the village slaughter from off in the distance.)
    As to point (1.) sure perhaps any potential information about Rey would have died with them, but it would be so easy for Kylo to verify by simply interrogating Tekka or reading his mind. As to point (2.), yes Kylo is impulsive and temperamental and throws tantrums, but I can't believe him to be that short-sighted that nothing about Rey would have registered once he heard the planet name: Jakku. Perhaps I'm wrong and Kylo really is so filled with fury and anger that he would act impulsively and kill Tekka because he felt insulted. That may be what episode VIII reveals.

I think a "middle-man" as you describe being the one to rescue Rey from the Jedi Academy slaughter might make for an interesting plot line as perhaps Kylo searched for said "middle-man" in the intervening years trying to discover Rey's location, but ultimately failed in locating this person. This person might pop up in episode VIII.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Initially, I believed Luke and "Mara Jade" left Rey, their daughter, on Jakku as an attempt to hide her from her cousin Ben. However, I've been hearing the Kylo dropped her off theory more and more and I'm starting to believe in it. He dropped his cousin off on Jakku, because he couldn't bring himself to kill her. I can't see Luke leaving Rey with Unkar Plutt.

Avnar and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    It's because it makes the most sense.

Unless I'm wrong here, but isn't Lor San Tekka's camp supposed to be just some temporary home for their nomad group? They aren't based on Jakku permanently, right?

16. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    In the Visual Dictionary, their settlement in Kelvin Ravine is permanent, it's build around a vaporator cistern and is called Tuanul village. But it does sound like the Church of the Force is spread throughout the galaxy, although it is an underground faith.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    That's cool. I wasn't really sure what they were doing there.

18. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I would venture to say Kylo Ren. Luke had tons of places to evacuate her across the galaxy with the added protection of the New Republic being the new dominant force in the galaxy. He could've left her in the care of many others if it was him.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I just dont understand how or why Luke would leave behind Rey. He doesnt seem like he would do that as a father. You would think after his relationship with Anakin, he would want to be as great as a dad as he could be. So I'm not convinced that she is a Skywalker

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    That's why some of us think that he thought she was dead all this time. It would explain so much.

21. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    That's true or maybe he had to distance himself from her to protect her from Snoke? There are so many answers we need, lol

22. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Well this is my interpretation: from a story point of view, it's the reason for her refusal to heed the "call" to join the conflict right away -- to join the fight against the FO and find Luke. In ANH, Luke's initial refusal to Ben was grudgingly made. A sense of obligation to Uncle Owen to help with the farm kept him from joining Ben. But that quickly got settled by his foster-parents' death at the hands of Imperial troopers. Luke is freed from his obligations and joins Ben and the decision to join is easier to make as he's always dreamed of becoming a pilot. It's probably just tradition of following the Campbell monomyth -- where one stage is when our hero refuses the call. Is it necessary? Well it should make for a more dramatic story but in the case of TFA, it seems this part is weak because she'd already heeded the call to a large extent. Wouldn't her resistance to her calling been more credible if it had happened at the start, just like Luke, not when she was already quite in the thick of the action? It seems to the audience that she'd already crossed over to the cause of the Resistance but in Rey's mind she hasn't, so she must go back to Jakku. Why is that?

First let's look at the nature of her resistance/reluctance.

Rey's resistance is more interesting than Luke's when you look at her motivations. It's not as obvious in the movie compared to the novel, but it appears Rey's self-denial was at least partly conscious. In the novel Maz says, “Whatever you’ve been waiting for—whomever—I can see it in your eyes, you’ve known it all along…they’re not coming back.." In the movie the words are different: "You already know the truth," -- as though she just realized it after the Force vision.

How does one reconcile "known it all along" to pretending to be waiting for her family to return -- a lie that was verified in her Force vision? Well in our daily experience, what would cause a person to believe in the irrational vs rational? The answer is hope. Rey has been portrayed to be very lonely and always longing for family, as verified by Kylo's mind reading. If she accepts that her family is long dead, then what hope would be left of someday being delivered from her loneliness? Therefore she'd rather believe there's a family somewhere coming back for her on Jakku because the alternative is too horrible to accept. The thought that her existence for the past 15+ years is all she has to look forward to for the rest of her 60+ years is enough to make anyone want to give up, so Rey pretends to be waiting for her family just so she can keep going, one day at a time. It's not that she really doesn't want to leave Jakku, it's more that leaving Jakku would be acknowledging that she's abandoning all hope that she'll ever see her real family again, who she probably knows has been dead for a long time (or otherwise they would've been back for her much sooner).

Viewed in that light -- Rey's resistance is more realistic. She's already knee-deep in Resistance-First Order **** but she still insists she has to go back to Jakku. Whatever she's trying to hold on to in Jakku must be so important that not even a job offer from Han Solo, a "call" by the light saber, and a pep talk from Maz would convince her. That's because the choice she's been handed is REALLY HARD: If Rey accepts the call, she will need to leave Jakku, and that is tantamount to accepting that her real family is dead.

She wasn't aware of it first but she was already forming a new family even as she continued to resist the call. First a friend in BB-8, then a friend in Finn, then a father-figure in Han (an uncle figure with Chewie?), then a mother-figure with Leia. Then as the ending suggests Luke is the next member of her new family. She has a larger family now than she probably ever hoped to have, formed not through bloodlines but a shared adventure. And so Maz's advice is proven wise.

23. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015

Let's work from the position that Kylo did leave Rey on Jakku. His response to visiting Jakku (in relation to Rey) would depend enormously on what his motives were for leaving Rey there in the first place, and how he has come to think of her in the interim. We have very little solid information, but we do know that:

1. Kylo is ashamed of his weakness, i.e. the continued attraction he feels to the light.
    2. Kylo has completely renounced his past identity as Ben Solo.

In light of both those things, I think it would make sense for him to deliberately put Rey out of his mind. I don't doubt that he was thinking of her when he learned he had to go to Jakku, but he will have done his utmost to suppress any thoughts of her, especially because he was acting under orders from Snoke and with extensive support from the First Order. In this scenario, leaving Rey on Jakku was probably the last act Kylo made as Ben Solo, making it an act of compassion and 'weakness' he finds shameful in his present form. In light of that, denial (accompanied by a massacre for good measure) would make sense. Everything changes for him when he learns Rey is actively involved, and there can be no more running from her at that point - which is why he goes to the opposite extreme and endeavours to take her for himself and Snoke.

But as I've said before, I absolutely think it's possible that a middle man was involved - especially because it would also present Kylo's attitude to Rey more sympathetically, since they could then go for the angle that Kylo would never have abandoned her in such a terrible place and has been searching for her covertly since she was left on Jakku.

rumblewagon likes this.
  24. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    I suppose the idea of Kylo driving any memory of Rey from his mind would have to be the only plausible explanation as he also does not make sure she's not in the village being attacked (he shows up later after the attack has begun). This seems to contradict his original purpose of leaving her on Jakku to keep her safe, but I suppose it's plausible if he's completely destroyed the identity of Ben Solo. I find his actions more logical of someone who has no idea that Rey is on Jakku. It'll be interesting to find out if he really blocked out his own memories perhaps like Rey's memories may be blocked out.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    First off, the Kylo theory... how do people explain Kylo's age?
    He's older, but not that much. If Rey was 5, then Kylo was perhaps 10?, 12?

Was Rey dropped off in a panic? In the middle of a chase? That would explain the Bad choice of Step Father.