main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who lost more?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand-Moff-Tarkin, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't delve all the way into the thread history, so if you don't want to discuss it again please don't.

Who do you think lost more: Luke or Leia?

Luke has to deal first off with Owen and Beru's deaths, then Ben's, his best friend Biggs', Yoda, and finally his father.

Leia has to watch as her entire world is destroyed, with all her friends and relatives (sort of) die along with it. She also loses her father, but she didn't know Vader was her father until shortly before his death, and even then she only saw him as an evil tyrant. She never saw his redemption firsthand, just what Luke told her.

Personally, I think Luke lost more, because he lost so many people that were close to him. I might have a different perception if we'd seen some of the people on Alderaan that she cared for. Even so, she dealt with it very well.

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I think its a toss up. we dont know how close leia was to anyone on alderaan. im sure she had lots of friends and all of bail's family. WHile luke lost his aunt, uncle, ben, biggs, and then found out his dad had them all killed....

hours of counceling ahead for both of them...

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think Leia did. Imagine if you are on Mars and you see the Earth blow up. Not only do you lose family and friends, but the whole history of your home planet. From the history of the dinosaurs, to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, to the space age. Everything, all gone.

4. gonktacular

gonktacular Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    ...and let's not forget that Alderaan was destroyed because of her, however noble her intentions were. You know she blames herself for that.

Luke doesn't really blame himself for any of his friends' deaths probably. Owen and Beru maybe.

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Ah, a good question. Leia never even had a chance to see her real father, but Luke has absolutely no memory of his real mother, while Leia can hold on to some feelings. However, I think the burden goes to Luke, because although he doesn't 'lose' anything, the hope of the galaxy is riding on him confronting and converting Vader.

6. SkafeeXAddict

SkafeeXAddict Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    I like how DarthLassic007 puts it. Leia lost a lot, and it was her fault. Even though Leia finds out later that Vader was her father, that still doesn't mean she wasn't close to him. And since she was royal, she must have known a lot of people, no matter how close they were to her. Plus, all the casualties came very sudden, all at one moment and with one push of a button. Yet, it also was almost all her fault too.

Yet, Luke witnessed almost all the casualties, up close and personal. He saw their bodies, saw them grow cold, and saw them die in front of his eyes. His Aunt and Uncles casualties were kinda his fault, and (arguably) Biggs was also kinda his fault (for not flying as well and staying clear of fire). Ben and Anakin gave up their lives by choice, and Yoda knew he was too old and passed peacefully and calmly. Ben also continued to say with him through the Force and (suggestively) Yoda and Anakin did the same. So, while Ben and the other Jedi couldn't help him physically, Luke got more help and wisdom in his training by them being deceased. Luke didn't lose much in the long run, Leia lost more.

7. Obi-Sauron

Obi-Sauron Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    well at least Leia gained Han in the end. luke had noboby. but then a woman should not get miked up with a guy like him, he's a loner . . . a rebel.

8. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Let's not forget that Luke found out the hot chick with the buns in her hair turned out to be his sister!

AND HE KISSED HER EWWWW!!! :D

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yes...that's a pretty crippling blow right there [face_mischief]

10. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    We don't know all the people who Leia lost on Alderaan, so that's why I can't say

11. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I'd have to say its a toss up between the two.

For the most part they suffered personal losses, plus a few physical ones.

Luke lost his hand and got some nasty shock treatments.

Leia got tortured, and if you pay close attention to the Bespin and Jabba's palace cutaways, the poor girl was raped too.

Both lost much because of the evil the Empire, and the direct actions of a man that turned out to be their father.

But in the end, the Empire was defeated, their father redeamed, and this cocky old Corellian became best friend to one and true love to another.

Happy ending.

12. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I don't understand where you get she was raped.
    In Boba Fett's story in Tales from Jabba's Palace, Jabba wanted Fett to rape Leia, but Fett wouldn't do it.

13. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    I'm not sure where you got the idea she was raped either. I've never heard anyone say anything like that about her.

14. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    It's a really hard question. Luke, living in such a remote place, had very few people he was close to. To lose all of them had to be really tough.

On the other hand, Leia lost an entire world full of people.

It's difficult to decide because we don't actually know how she felt about the people she knew or what connection she had to them.

15. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Well, you'll forgive this graphic interpertation, but from what I've seen, I get the gist that for the more...adult viewer, its pretty evident she was sexually assulted in Ep6.

C3P0;

"Oh, I can't bare it to watch..."

And I suspect it happened again in Ep5.

Leia's captured in her Bespin gown.

Cinematic cuts of Han and Chewie getting tortured.

NO cinematic cut of Leia getting tortured a'la Ep4.

Instead we get cuts back to Dagobah with Luke about how his friends are in pain.

Later we see after the torture scenes of Han and Chewie that Leia is thrown into their cell, and she's back in her soiled Hoth uniform.

Now if Vader's idea of torture is having his troops force the fashion plate princess back into previousily worn clothing;

Well, he is the Sith lord after all...

;)

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'd prefer if we could keep this topic about Leia out of the conversation here...

17. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Didn't mean to offend ya Damon.

Edit if you wish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.