main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who names the tracks for the Star Wars soundtracks?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Oakessteve, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I know this is a rather silly question, but does anyone know wh names the tracks for the Star Wars soundtracks? It's just I recently searching for some John Williams stuff on Morpheous, and I found a track from Star Wars called, Here They Come. I downloaded it, and although the beginning is a little different, it sounds just like the music played during the escape from the Death Star in Star Wars, but according to my CD version of it, the track is called, Ben Kenobi's Death/TIE Fighter Attack. Also, ages ago I ran remember hearing a track called The Final Battle, which sounds just like The Battle of Yavin, so is it simply the case that with each new release of the music, the tracks get renamed? Because on the first Phantom Menace soundtrack, the end titles were called Augie's Great Municipal Band, but on the Ultimate Edition, it's just called The Parade. Also, on the Ultimate Edition, the tracks are more descriptions of what's going on in the film at the time, rather actual proper titles. I know this is an extremely trivial thread, but it's been annoying me for some time now, and it's only now that I've been bored enough to actually make a thread about it, so if someone could provide me with an answer, I'd be very grateful :D.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmm, interesting question and I'm not sure I have an answer!

As for tracks like "Here They Come" or "The Final Battle", those tracks are undoubtley from SW music recorded by other orchestras and re-released. They're not official SW music- that's why they have a different name.

3. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    when i copied my sw cds onto my hard drive the titles were already in the file name so i didnt have to rename them.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It's probably done at the marketing level. JW makes up names for his songs that suit his convenience, not anyone else's. (For example, on the TPM DVD you can see some music sheets for "Duel of the Fates", but it's called "The Great Dual"--spelled wrong!

Also, on the Ultimate Edition, the songs are divided up differently, hence a name change requirement of SOME sort.

Now what I'D like to know is what genius named a song Qui-Gon's Noble End...

5. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    I don't know but if I were to ever meet them I would smack them upside the head.

6. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Well, for one, if it's on a file sharing program, someone might have changed it themselves(or even changed the composer, I've seen Orff passed off as Wagner too many times to count...).

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Really, Adam, of all the titles, WHY "Qui-Gon's Noble End"? Why not something like "The Laser Doors" or "The Battle Rages On"? I dunno! Something a whole lot less spoilerish!

EDIT: Typo. :p

8. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    Good question! Here's my take on it, plus some extra confusing stuff.

The booklets attached to the SE soundtracks state clearly that many of the tracks were given different titles in the original soundtrack albums - like "The Swashbucklers", "Han Solo and the Princess", and so forth.

I think that titles like you mentioned ("Here They Come" and such) were the titles on the original LP albums. These tracks weren't on the records in the order they play in the film, either. When they re-edited the album for the SE release, they put all the tracks in order, and gave (some of) them new titles that fit the scenes. I have no idea who actually gave the titles, either in the original or SE soundtracks.

A bewildering example of this is in the ROTJ soundtrack, which I have on original LP besides the 2-CD SE version. The track entitled "Leia's News/Light of the Force" on the SE (Leia makes her announcement to Han, and Vader's funeral pyre), one of my favorite cues from ROTJ, is also on the original LP. However, it's title there is - get ready - "Rebel Briefing"!

I remember being quite confused on re-seeing the film on VHS and realizing that the cue was not played during the briefing, rather at the end of the film. In fact, my brother was at first disappointed (!) when he listened to the ROTJ SE soundtrack, and found a "different" cue for the briefing (the real one), since "Light of the Force" was his favorite cue, too.

Interesting Side Note: In the kiddie cassette-story version of ROTJ - this cue was playing in the background during the Briefing scene and not at the Leia's News scene (which was skipped in said kiddie-story). The people who produced it must have taken the titles on the soundtrack at face value.

So, whoever made up the titles for the original soundtracks - he did a rather unprofessional job. I, for one, seriously hope it wasn't JW, since it would imply that he didn't remember which cue was for which scene, or worse - that the cues were put in different scenes than JW wrote them for...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.