main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who or what are the "Readers"? (possible SbS spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Anakin_Solo, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    I was rereading SbS a while ago, and when Anakin was being tortured and Jaina gave up the location of Eclipse, the commander said something to the effect of "Yes, the readers had assumed as much."
    My question is, who or what are the readers? Are they yet another caste of Yuuzhan Vong? If so, what is their function?
    I probably just forgot or accidentaly skipped the part where it was explained, but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thank you in advance to anyone who does :).

2. jainasolo2001

jainasolo2001 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I believe the readers are something like prophets, or fortune tellers of the Yuuzhan Vong.

3. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Ok, thanks :). That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure.

4. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    I think they work alongside the Priests in their caste, reading portents and so on. :)

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah probly like their gods...

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Y'know... I forgot completely about the readers, or any mention of mystics in the Vong caste structure.

This leads me to another wild theory as far out as one of chissdude's... :)

What if the Vong are not invisible in the Force, per se, and are not coming from another "galaxy," per se, but from a different dimensional space where they are filled with their galactic equivalent of Force, which in the GFFA is {i]anti-Force[/i].

Now, I don't claim to understand relativistc physics or anything along those lines, but it could perhaps explain why:
    a) the Vong are alive (assuming the Vong as machines theory is incorrect -- I still LOVE that theory), and
    b) not sensed by the Force.
    because if they were ANTI-Force, it is likely that they couldn't be sensed normally within the Force. Now clearly, this wouldn't be a matter-antimatter type of thing, where the two can't coexist in the same location without large explosions. But think about it this way -- nature versus nurture.

The Jedi we know and love, acquire their powers from the Force which surrounds and binds all living things (nature), whereas the Vong might have powers (shaping, portents, etc.) that are more attuned with creating what you wish yourself (nurture). Given that we have mitichlorians (ugh) which may function as a quasi-subatomic particle, we don't know how such a thing as anti-Force would be translated by someone strong with anti-Force. This would lend credence to the theory that there IS no Dark or Light side -- there is just a different application of the Force. Such that "Dark" and "Light" are still two applications of the GFFA Force, and the Vong are adept with anti-Force.

I have to go back and reread VP to determine exactly how they described their "galactic travels" to see if this could fit in any way... I've babbled enough now...

7. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Oh hell, not another Waru!

8. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    yay! Waru! the REAL swimming pool experience... luke was having fun until han and leia panicked and dived in to pull him out...

9. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    hehehe, King Midas's swimming pool!

10. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Speaking of Waru, do you think the galaxy he was sent back to is the same galaxy the Vong are from?

11. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Please I couldnt stand that book

12. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Readers are an amalgam of prophets and battle tacticians.

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I always thought maybe they are the Vong's version of an intelligence network.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What is this Waru you all mention? Was it in The Crystal Star (the only book I can't finish) or some other source?

15. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Yes he was in Crystal Star, the worst book ever.

16. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Amen to that.

17. Crow_T_Fett

Crow_T_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm reading SbS for the second time, and I just found the answer to this. The exact details of the readers are described at the very bottom of page 193, continued onto the top of page 194.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Does Waru do anti-Force? Or was he just similar enough to my theory that I was deemed apocryphal?

19. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Jaina didn't actually give away the location of eclipse in SbS, she just admitted that it existed.

And the Readers are probably just some interrogation "overseers." I doubt it's anything important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.