main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who or What Are the TITLES of the Movies Refering too?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    A New Hope Almost Certainly Refers to Luke... But it Could be Argued it Refers to The Rebellion as a Whole.

The Empire Strikes Back is well... The Empire.

Return of the Jedi is Trickier... Which Jedi Returned? Is it Luke... Who isn't even a Jedi 'till the Climax? Is It Anakin Who Dies A Jedi and Not a Sith? Or does it refer to the Concept of the Jedi Order, who will one day rise again?

The Phantom Menace is Probably the Hardest. The Obvious Choice is Palpatine... My Friends and I Always Joked it Was Qui-gon... But it Could refer to Young Anakin as well...

Attack of the Clones refers to the clone army unless you are one of those theorists that tries to state that everyone is a clone...

And Finally Revenge of the Sith... Again I Believe it to Be Palaptine, but it Could be Anakin's Revenge... or the Thousand Year Revenge of the Sith Order...

What Are Your Thoughts??

2. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    All of the above. :p

3. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    A New Hope Almost Certainly Refers to Luke... But it Could be Argued it Refers to The Rebellion as a Whole.

luke.
    the rebellion was already in existence when the films starts and luke is the new ally that turns the tide.

Return of the Jedi is Trickier... Which Jedi Returned? Is it Luke... Who isn't even a Jedi 'till the Climax? Is It Anakin Who Dies A Jedi and Not a Sith? Or does it refer to the Concept of the Jedi Order, who will one day rise again?

the jedi order.
    all of the film titles refer to the overall state of events in the galaxy duringthe film. nothing as simple as lukes return to dagobah or anakins death would merit a mention.

The Phantom Menace is Probably the Hardest. The Obvious Choice is Palpatine... My Friends and I Always Joked it Was Qui-gon... But it Could refer to Young Anakin as well...

its palpatine/sidious.
    he is the obvious menace, anakin wont be for another 2 films. again, lucas's titles refer to the state of the GFFA during said film, i dont think he would give that much of the future away.

Attack of the Clones refers to the clone army unless you are one of those theorists that tries to state that everyone is a clone...

clone army.

And Finally Revenge of the Sith... Again I Believe it to Be Palaptine, but it Could be Anakin's Revenge... or the Thousand Year Revenge of the Sith Order...

sith order.
    just like how epIV refered to the return of the jedi order.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Each film has multiple meanings

The Phantom Menace
    It means Darth Sidious
    But you can also apply it to Anakin.
    Anakin is a menace in disguise, Palpatine is a holographic phantom which is a meance who is operating things behind the scenes.

Attack of the Clones
    The Clone Army attacks.
    This attack will tear the Republic to pieces.

Revenge of the Sith
    The Sith at last have their revenge
    Anakin has his revenge on Obi-Wan and the Jedi Order.
    There could be more meanings which I don't know yet because I have not seen the film.

A New Hope
    Luke Skywalker is their new hope.
    Destroying the Death Star gives the rebels more hope.
    The Rebellion has grown stronger and have more hope.

The Empire Strikes Back
    The Actual Empire hits back.
    Vader strikes back at Luke.

Return of the Jedi
    Luke Skywalker returns.
    The Jedi Order has returned.
    Anakin Skywalker has returned.

-Seldon

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    The Phantom Menace

The Sith, in general
    Darth Sidious, who you only see as a hologram
    Senator/Chancellor Palpatine, who seems like such a nice guy
    Darth Maul, who you barely see but is directly menacing the main characters
    Anakin, who is a sweet kid

Attack of the Clones

The Clone army attacks the separatists, democracy and eventually the Republic and the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

I guess we'll see

A New Hope

Luke is a new hope for Princess Leia (Obi-Wan Kenobi is not her only hope), the Rebellion and the survival of the Jedi order

The Empire Strikes Back

The Empire/ Darth Vader strikes back at the Rebellion, Luke and Han for destroying the Death Star

Return of the Jedi
    Luke Skywalker returns.
    The Jedi Order has returned.
    Anakin Skywalker has returned.

Pretty much says it all.

6. SulfuricAcid

SulfuricAcid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2004
    " its palpatine/sidious.
    he is the obvious menace, anakin wont be for another 2 films. again, lucas's titles refer to the state of the GFFA during said film, i dont think he would give that much of the future away"

no i think it would better fit anakin because he is a "Phantom Menace" because
    a) he is a small boy and no one excpect anything from him therefore he is a Phantom

b) menace because he is going to be bad and also menace is most used to describe children not adults

so

The Phantom Menace is Anakin

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's kinda cool how there is no single definitive answer. Leaves it open for discussion :)

Although I like the theory about Anakin being the Phantom Menace. Haven't heard that one before.

8. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I'm sure Lucas once said "The Phantom Menace" referred to Palpatine/Sidious. It could include Maul as the other Sith in the movie, but not Anakin.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, Anakin is a phantom menace, so the title is quite applicable to him, no matter what Lucas has or has not said.

10. Festus_taint

Festus_taint Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2004
    Phantom Menace
    Sidious, Palpatine, Anakin, the Jedi's&Republic's loss of effictiveness,on a bigger scale

Darth Maul, Trade Federation, on a smaller scale concerning most of the characters

Attack of the Clones
    Fighting a war that is not real?, the Republic charging victoriously against evil(sarcastically, because it is the beginning of the Republic's end), on a bigger scale.

The Republic charging victoriously(non-sarcastically) against evil, on the smaller scale

Revenge of the Sith
    The Sith, Palpatine, Anakin(singularly), Sidious
    get thier revenge.

A New Hope
    Luke for Anakin, on the largest scale

Luke against the Empire, Luke for the way of the Jedi, on a larger scale

Learning to be a Jedi, and getting off of Tatooine, for Luke, on a smaller scale

The Empire Strikes Back
    Vader hits Luke(I'm your father) and others(freezes Han, cheats Lando) harder that they thought he could hit them, on a larger level

The Empire Strikes Back, against the rebel scum, tightens it's grasp on the rebels, sets it's sights on it's only threat, Luke- on a smaller level

Return of the jedi
    Anakin's redemption, lashes out towards the only Sith,
    on the larger level
    The Jedi way as a whole, Luke on a smaller level

11. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    a) he is a small boy and no one excpect anything from him therefore he is a Phantom

when viewed in 1-6 order, we are not supposed to think of him as a phantom menace. but if your a 4-6,1-3 guy like me, i guess you might have a point.

still, him being a "phantom menace" is not nearly as relevent to the film as is palpatine being one. if the title of all the prequels combined was TPM, then it probably would refer to anakin.

b) menace because he is going to be bad and also menace is most used to describe children not adults

his is going to, but not in this particular film. palpatine, on the other hand, is a menace in this film.

12. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    The Phantom Menace
    1. Darth Sidious/Palpatine manipulating the events that lead up to (blockade of Naboo) and include his election to Chancellor.
    2. Darth Maul and Qui-Gon's (and the rest of the Jedi Council's) discovery and confusion about Maul's sudden appearance and whether the Sith have returned.

Attack of the Clones
    1. The start of the Clone Wars breaks out as the Republic's clone army arrive on Geonosis and advance on the Separatist forces.

Revenge of the Sith
    1. Darth Sidious/Palpatine's plan of controlling the galaxy reaches its final stage.
    2. The Sith's long hatred of the Jedi is finally exampled in the abolition/annihilation of the Jedi Order.

A New Hope
    1. After the Republic has crumbled and the Jedi obliterated, one boy on a desert planet finds himself in the prime position to start changing things back towards the good and reviving the Jedi Order.

The Empire Strikes Back
    1. The Empire and Darth Vader bring swift destruction on the Hoth Base and send the Rebellion into a panic status.
    2. Darth Vader confronts Luke and reveals to Luke his origin, therefore placing a tremendous stumbling block in Luke's Jedi path.

Return of the Jedi
    1. Despite Vader's attempts and the confrontation with the Emperor, Luke successfully does what it takes and becomes the first Jedi since the purge, defeating the dark side. Oh, and the Rebellion beats the Empire.

13. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    "still, him being a "phantom menace" is not nearly as relevent to the film as is palpatine being one"

I think there are quite many signals in ep.1 that Anakin is menace.

The Jedi Council, Yoda ("clouded this boy's future is" - That's why it's phantom menace), Obi1

- all of them emphasize that there is big risk and danger in training Anakin.

14. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    "Attack of the Clones" refers to the same thing as "The Phantom Menace."

Mwa-ha-ha-ha.

15. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I agree with Jace.

16. Lord_DarthSatanus

Lord_DarthSatanus Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    The Phantom Menace:
    The strange menace that was making himself known was the Sith Lord Darth Sidious.

Attack of the Clones:
    The clones are created and attack the droid army

Revenge of the Sith:
    The Sith gain revenge on the Jedi by making them enemies of the republic and wiping them out in the purge.

A New Hope:
    The Empire is in control of the Galaxy and the Rebels offer little resistance. Then a new hope for the galaxy is discovered, Luke Skywalker.

The Empire Strikes Back:
    Angered at the destruction of the Death Star the Empire locate the Rebel base and kick the ass in a major battle. They then capture Han Solo while Vader wipes the floor with Luke.

Return of the Jedi:
    Anakin is reborn and at last fulfills his destiny by destroying Palpatine. His final act of redeption allows the Sith to be defeated and cripples the Empire.

17. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Luke does NOT return from ANYTHING though.

It does NOT refer to Luke at ALL!

Return of the Jedi refers to ANAKIN. His Return to the light side is the single most IMPORTANT aspect of the story! It makes it all come together, it makes it all make sense!

And no, the only titles that refer to "the grander scale" of what is going on in the galaxy is TESB and AOTC. TPM, ROTS, ANH, and ROTJ all refer to an individual I believe, but I guess there will always be someone to dissagree...

ANH-Luke.
    TPM-Sidious/Palpatine
    ROTS-I believe Anakin's revenge, which echo's with Episode VI.
    ROTJ-Anakin's redemption/Return.

it is all like poetry...they echo eachother.

The Prequels focus on the bad guys, while the OT focuses on the good guys....except for ESB/AOTC. They flip flop.

It is poetic.

18. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    When Lecas Decide that Jedi don't take Revenge... Was He Already thinking he SHould Save that for Revenge of the Sith?

19. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    " Luke does NOT return from ANYTHING though.

It does NOT refer to Luke at ALL!"

When Yoda dies, that's it. He was the last real Jedi...until the end of the film. Luke becomes a Jedi, so in a sense, the Jedi return to existence with Luke's triumph.

20. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    The Phantom Menace: Palps/Sidious being a meance behind the scenes without anyone knowing it, a "phantom" of sorts
    Attack of the Clones: The Clonetroopers attacking..duh
    Revenge of the Sith: The Sith getting revenge on the Jedi after all these years
    A New Hope: Luke being a new hope for the Jedi(and Rebellion)
    The Empire Strikes Back: Empire striking back against the Rebellion
    Return of the Jedi: The Jedi Order comes back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.