main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Who or what would you have liked to see in Droids?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Unlike Rebels, Droids had very few cameos of already established characters. I'm not sure if this hurt the series or not, as Wookieepedia says the series was cancelled due to cost, but a few more appearances from movie characters couldn't have hurt. I was just thinking this morning how cool it would have been if Darth Vader had made a brief appearance. What would he look like in the Droids animated style? Where could the series have gone and who could have showed up if the series had ran for a second season?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I know when I was a little kid and I heard there was going to be a SW cartoon, I was hoping to see more of Luke, Han and Leia (especially Luke). But of course, it turned out the show wasn't set during the time post-ROTJ time line (I suppose I had just assumed it would have been).

Thinking about it now? I have to admit, Vader's a pretty solid choice. Maybe they could have introduced a Jedi in hiding (that lightsaber belonging to a 'stranger' who "never came back to pick up his speeder" was a tantalizing element never followed up upon)? And if so, one-off character or recurring player?

3. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    http://www.blastr.com/2015-12-2/star-wars-saturday-mornings-droids-and-ewoks-30-years-later
    After writing the opening post, I came across this article from Blastr from last December that indicates that the lack of crossover characters probably was a significant factor in the show only lasting for one season. It's a pretty good article with interviews with some of the creators of the series, and is definitely worth a read for anyone interested in the making of Droids. Maybe having the droids stick with one master for a longer period of time would have been something to try in a second season or having a character like Boba Fett appear for more than one episode would have helped.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think something which would have sold Droids to me better (as a kid, at least) would have been the use of some more Star Wars-y battle scenes. Complete with weapons which were, well... recognizably weapons.

I discovered years later that this was attributed to heavy-handed S+P policies. A real shame, that. I was a religious watcher of The Transformers at the time. Some G.I. Joe, as well. (Okay, yeah, and Jem, too) S+P never stopped either of those shows* from utilizing weaponry in battle (even if the only enemies usually ever hit by the Joes were those robot Cobra soldiers).

ETA: *Though TF and GIJ were syndicated shows (and Droids and Ewoks, network). Would this have made a difference in S+P policy? I know that -- following the three-part opener, at least -- Season 1 of TF ran on Saturday mornings, just like the SW cartoons.

5. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    whostheBossk likes this.