main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who played the better Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 17, 2001.

?

Who played the better Obi-Wan

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Sir Alec Guinness

27.8%
  2. Ewan McGregor

18.7%
  3. They were as good as each other

53.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    droideka EDIT: locking in favor of a new thread

2. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Cool, another one of my ingenius ideas has been realised :p

I'd say they both bring different qualities to the role. Therefore, I'd say they were about equal.

3. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    *throws off the nice even numbers and votes for both.*
    :D

4. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    I need to argee with barns. However, when it comes to acting in general, I think Sir Alec is better.

5. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Ewan's doing a good job, but Alec Guinness is the original and best.

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I voted for both of them just because I think Ewan is a good actor and I think he needs the next two movies to "flesh out the character" as cbjedi says before we can decide. I didn't like Obi-Wan in TPM, but I think that was because of Obi-Wan's character, not Ewan's acting.

7. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    to be fair, ewan didn't have much to work with in ep I.

8. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I voted for the late Sir Alec Guinness. Ewan was very good in TPM, but not good enough to surpass the original. Maybe in the next two films.

9. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I vote for "equal." Sir Alec was definitely better in the OT, but Ewan hasn't really been given his chance yet.

10. thx1138-the-jedi

thx1138-the-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    i know this is irelivent but Ewan was hotter, by a million times. i also think he is better at the fight scenes which are my favorite parts so (surprise, surprise) i voted for Ewan. There is also the undeniable fact that ewan actually enjoyed and apprecated playing obi-wan (my favorite jedi)

11. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm amazed that people are comparing McGregor's and Guinesses' performances. Alec Guiness had, IMO, the best performance of anybody in the entire saga. I am rather dissapointed with McGregor's perfomance, and very little of that has to do with him. The scipt doesn't do Obi-Wan justice. Sure, it gets his dry sense of humor, but that's all there is until Qui-Gons' death when we see some actaul emotion. And secondly, McGregor ain't got nothin' on Guiness' looks. McGregor's too fresh faced, too pop star. Guinness was finly tuned, yet grizzled. He had that stoic melancholy handsome-ness characteristic to wise older men and yet there was that youthful, adventourously romantic sparkle in his eyes and the chiseled body of a man half 25 years younger. <sigh>

12. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    They were both good :D

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    = (equal)

14. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    The TPM Obi-Wan is very different from the ANH one. Episode II, and the novels following Episode I, show indications of the transformation, but it's still to early at this stage to say "Oh he was a better Obi-Wan than him."

15. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2001
    Ewan McGregor :D :D :D :D :D

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hard to say. Ewan McGregor is faced with the task of transforming OB1 from a sort of rash, impetuous, headstrong young man to a wiser-than-his-years, weary young man. Alec Guinness was a great actor, but he really didn't have to evolve the character, just to be the mysterious old wizard.

17. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Ewan :D

-Little Jedi who is a huge McGregor fan - so don't listen to her on a topic such as this-
    MTFBWY

:D

18. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    For me, Sir Alec Guinness was the best Obi-Wan.

19. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I said that they were equal because I haven't seen enough to accurately compare the two. Right now, Guiness has a lead, but Ewan could catch up in AOTC.

20. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I think this poll is just like the James Bond one... basically it just boils down to personal taste.

They're both great, but I voted for Sir Alec because he defined the Obi-Wan part. As mentioned earlier, they both brought totally different styles (Ewan's Obi-Wan was bold and warrior-like, while Sir Alec's Obi-Wan was more of a reserved wise sage) but I went with the classic this time.

21. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Guiness, the man was like a demi-god.

22. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    For me they're both about equal. Both Sir Alec and Ewan do well in playing Obi-Wan in their respective settings. :)

23. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Well, natually a lot of people think Sir Alec made the better Obi-Wan, but he CREATED the character, so how can you go wrong?!

However, if you look at it like I do, Ewan has the much harder task of turning his character INTO Sir Alec's...and he's doing a damn fine job of it, IMHO! From what I've seen, I can definitely see OT Obi Wan peeking through from Ewan's performance! And from what I've seen of AOTC so far (trailers and such), I'm even more impressed!

I think it's quite incredible, that Ewan has managed to pick up certain Sir Alec Obi-Wan characteristics and utilise them! :)

24. DarthSplinter

DarthSplinter Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Sir Alec has an unfair advantage being the original. Thingy could have done a much better job but for some reason all of the people in the prequals seem to act like cardboard for some reason? oh well still love the films.

25. Fettrooper

Fettrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Both were good during the time

but Ewan was more into the playing of the part of Kenobi, I think Alec didn't like to be in a star wars film but if I am mistaken then tell me because I dont know if that is true or not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.