main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who plays Palpatine in Empire?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by QuiGonHrafn, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    Who is the actor portraying Emperor Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back? All that is stated is that Clive Revill is the voice of the Emperor. But who is the man behind the face of Palpatine? I once thought it looked an awful lot like Alec Guinnes (in his younger days) but surely we would have heard if he played the role. So who is it? Guinnes, Revill or isn't it known?

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    It was an old woman, whose eyes were cut out of the picture and replaced with chimp eyes.

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    this thread has been slain.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The Emperor first appeared on film in The Empire Strikes Back. He was played by an old woman wearing prosthetic makeup, with chimpanzee eyes superimposed in post-production into darkened eye sockets in order to create a truly unsettling image. Palpatine's voice was provided by Clive Revill for Empire. For Jedi and all subsequent films, Palpatine was played by actor Ian McDiarmid.

I've looked everywhere for the woman's name. I'm sure people know but for some reason they aren't talking.

5. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Let's all pray that this scene will be altered for the DVD release!

Ian McDiarmid is the one & only Palpatine.

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I think Palps had a cold that day, and thats why he's different.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope they don't change it- sure it'd be nice to have Ian as Palps again for visual continuity, but they aren't that far different from one another, and I just can't see Ian being able to make that scene any better (if it's not broke...) as Clive's voice just had that great ominous, powerful tone to it that just made that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.