main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Plays The Emporer In Episode V?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Buddha_Master, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddha_Master

Buddha_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004
    I know that Clive dude does the voice but, who is the actor/actress/monkey lady?

And do you have an image of the actor who plays the Emporer?

I would appreciate it brothers.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://isc.temple.edu/jjhala/templeindia/images/monkey.jpg]

3. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    jp-30: Nah. That just supplied the eyes. ;)

4. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Somebody tell that monkey to put some pants on - I'm eating.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey, so's the monkey.

6. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Good point.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Come the DVDs in September, Ian plays the Emperor.

8. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The words of Ian McDiarmid:

from this delicious interview
    An actor's face is his trademark, yet McDiarmid wasn't bothered by the idea of playing a pivotal role with his face virtually unrecognizable. "The makeup was very carefully explained to me. In fact, it was in photos of the Emperor from The Empire Strikes Back, which wasn't me," he explains. "That Emperor was a combination of things -- an old New York actress, some mask materials and Clive Revill's voice, not mine. Since I had seen that [film], I knew roughly what the Emperor would look like. They had shown me the drawings, too. George Lucas assured me that I could keep my mouth and nose -- they're fairly distinguishing features, which quite pleased me. He also said my eyes would be mine, but they would change the color.

Here's the stage without the chimp eyes
    [image=http://www.thejawa.com/customs/reference/e5/emperorholo/emperorholo1.JPG]

How disgusting is that? :eek:

Another advanced stage:
    [image=http://www.thejawa.com/customs/reference/e5/emperorholo/emperorholo3.JPG]

Stage with the chimp eyes:
    [image=http://www.thejawa.com/customs/reference/e5/emperorholo/emperorholo2.JPG]

Movie stage:
    [image=http://www.galenaparkisd.com/cybercamp/2001/starwars/esb-emperor.jpg]

DVD stage:
    [image=http://www.idontfear.com/episode3/tempfile/ASTCI/emperorpalpatine.jpg]

Without doubts, a huge improvement! :)

9. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Without doubts, a huge improvement!

Indeed. I might not like some of the rumored changes to the OT, but this is the one I most welcome.

Hayden as Anakin at the end of ROTJ, on the other hand... *shudder*

10. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    Without doubts, a huge improvement!

now if they could only "improve" all those other tacky movies we were tricked into liking.

take 2001 for example.

hal wasnt even scary! the revised, CG hal has got to have lazers and horns and all sorts of computer generated mechanisms.

patton is another piece of outdated trash!

my god! those wern't even real shermans! the tanks looked more like the vietnam era m-60's. i say we start a petition demaning a george lucas re-edit that will digitally replace these blunders with the real panzers of the day.

after all, if we can bring these timeless classics up to date, just imagine what might happen.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Without doubts, a huge improvement! <<

::doubts!::

12. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    hal wasnt even scary! the revised, CG hal has got to have lazers and horns and all sorts of computer generated mechanisms.

Agreed. That movie seriously needs to be spiced up!

my god! those wern't even real shermans! the tanks looked more like the vietnam era m-60's. i say we start a petition demaning a george lucas re-edit that will digitally replace these blunders with the real panzers of the day.

Adding Imperial Walkers would provide welcome entertainment.

13. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Please, do not take my comment out of context. If you want to discuss or bash the possible changes, do it on the DVD thread.

I was only talking about the evolution of the ESB emperor from the first image till the last one.

Anyway, this thread probably can be locked. Ian's quote answered the main question. Palpatine was played by an old New-York actress. We'll never know her name. I even doubt Lucas of Kershner still knows her name.

The poor old woman didn't even got credit for her transsexual performance! [face_laugh]

14. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    take 2001 for example.

If that's your reason for not liking that movie, you obviously have no clue what it's about.

Hal was never supposed to be "scary".
    Just sci-fi-ee.

"CG hal with horns and lazers and all sorts of computer generated mechanisms."

[face_laugh] Oh man, that'd be hilarious.

This movie is perfect IMO. Sheer brilliance.

You'd appriciate it even more if you'd either read the book too, or go here:
    http://www.kubrick2001.com and watch their little flash video explanation of the movie.

If someone else dared mess with that movie using CGI for ANYTHING, is the day my head explodes and rabid birds of prey come down on me and devour me.
    The director is dead, sadly.
    The special effects are the best of any movie ever.
    A good special effect is where you can't tell it's a special effect.
    There wasn't a shot in that whole movie that I could say didn't look 100% like it was completley real.

CGI does look pretty good nowadays, but it's still in its infancy of looking 100% completley real.
    You can tell straight away when something is CGI.

15. Buddha_Master

May 27, 2004
    But who is the actress that played the Emporer? Im trying to win a bet, and cant find this info anywhere. And the interview link posted above doesnt work. Thanks for some of this info bros.

16. DARTH_CHINA

Dec 31, 2001
    Sorry about the link, forgot to add the 'l' in html. :)

This should work! :)

But I really think it's near impossible to find out who played Palpatine in ESB. The name of that woman will probably remain a mystery forever. :(

17. Buddha_Master

May 27, 2004
    Damn that is a shame. Kind of strangethat the actorwho played such an instrumental character as this, is such a mistery. I thought we Star wars fans knew everything about everything with these movies. And the actress who played the emperer in empire is as mysterious as the sith themselves.

Anyone else find it incredibly bizarre that it was a woman who played palpatine originally? I always knew the actor who played Greedo was a woman, but a woman playing palpatine too...who would have thought? This doesnt come up to often in here, but I think its very interesting.

I would love to see the woman who played this role (or I should say the one who played, the soon to be replaced by the real deal role).

Anyway thanks for the updated link. Im gonna read it right now.

18. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    If that's your reason for not liking that movie, you obviously have no clue what it's about.

i was creating a sarcastic analogy between two classic sci fi films in order to expose the futility in attempting to "improve" one of them.

19. bobasho

bobasho Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    Sarcasm never comes across right in here.

I dont get this monkey woman thing. What part is a monkey? The eyes look prosthetic. Also, where is there a woman, just the bottom portion of the mouth? This is the most bizarre thing in Star Wars.

20. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    i was creating a sarcastic analogy between two classic sci fi films in order to expose the futility in attempting to "improve" one of them.

Haha, sorry. I thought you were serious.

21. Clear_Water

Clear_Water Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2004
    If you're a LOtRs fan you can hear Clive Revill reading passages from the book & Tolkien's letters on the EE documentaries. He's a *great actor* and has done many things.

I think his voice matches well with Ian's but the visual in ESB...it could be better.

22. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I knew Ian would replace monkey-eye woman, but I never imagined he would look so SCARY!!!! :eek:
    Seriously, that pic just scared the crap out of me! Not literally, of course....

23. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I want to say that I heard somewhere that Alec Guiness played the emperor in ESB.

I could be wrong, but I think I do remember hearing that

24. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    wow that is looking freaky, he looks even scarier than rotj

25. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I like the old version of the ESB Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.