main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who really is Sifo-Dyas?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RogueStealth, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueStealth

RogueStealth Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Its really annoying me cuz im hearing totally different thinga about him.

I hear from some people that he was actually dooku with a disguised name when he ordered the clone army.

I also heard that he was a friend of dooku's and dooku got him to order a clone army for the republic, and then he killed him.

whats the truth about him?

2. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    As I understand it, Strilo edit: Anything released after 4/2 is a spoiler.

3. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    Uh....whaT?

4. RogueStealth

Mar 21, 2005
    Well can you at least answer my question? o_O

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Sifo Dyas = Sifo Dyas. For the millionth time!

He was a jedi. He was on the council. No he wasnt dooku. No he wasnt Sidious.

Read LOE or wait for EP III for more

CLone

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    If you watch AOTC, Sifo-Dyas was once a Jedi Knight who was killed.

It is also mentioned in the AOTC text commentary that Sifo-Dyas was once a Jedi who was killed.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Clone said it best SIFO-DYAS = SIFO-DYAS Simple as that. There's already so many people with alias in GFFA. Why can't Sifo-Dyas just be Sifo-Dyas, because that's what it is.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sifo-Dyas = Sifo-Dyas

9. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Sifo-Dyas = Sifo-Dyas

10. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Its sad that fans have put so much thought into Sifo-dyas when George Lucas put absolutely none.

11. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Sifo Dyas = Sifo Dyas

I can accept that. Not every mystery has to have some bizarre turn of events or unexpected surprise, but I will always wonder--that being the case--why the name of a known, deceased Jedi bears such a similarity to the name of the Sith master.

Sifo Dyas -> SiDyas -> Sidious

Probably meaningless, but it's enough to make you wonder.

12. DDogForce1

DDogForce1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    I was thinking the Sifo Dyas -> SiDyas -> Sidious thing myself, but one thing that puzzled me in AOTC was that they said he died like 10 years before, and that was around the same time that Qui-Gon Gin died, so I thought maybe that could have been him... after reading the Ep III script I couldn't find any answers....

13. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    but I will always wonder--that being the case--why the name of a known, deceased Jedi bears such a similarity to the name of the Sith master.

Here is something to think about. How many times in life have you met someone who has a simular name to someone else? It happens.

"It happens."
    "That's all I have to say about that."
    --Forrest Gump

As for Sifo-Dyas and Sidious. They sound different. Pronounce the names and I don't think they're as close as some people think they are.

14. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Sifo Dyas = Sifo Dyas

I can accept that. Not every mystery has to have some bizarre turn of events or unexpected surprise, but I will always wonder--that being the case--why the name of a known, deceased Jedi bears such a similarity to the name of the Sith master.

Sifo Dyas -> SiDyas -> Sidious

Probably meaningless, but it's enough to make you wonder.

So explain to me how Sidious (as Sifo Dyas) can sit right next to Yoda on the council and then have Yoda not recognize him as the senator from Naboo?

And how Sifo Dyas is sitting right next to Yoda on the Council while Palpatine is millions of miles away on Naboo.

Trust me. Or go read LOE. Its all laid out there. PM if you want to know more, but there are spoilers attached to it.

Sifo Dyas = Sifo Dyas. Thats it. End of story. Game over.

And listen to Rebel Scumb.

CLone

CLone

15. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    I don't know what's revealed in ROTS, but I do know that many people in the audience were confused about the Sifo-Diyas character mentioned in AOTC. Because he was said to have died 10 years earlier, around the time of TPM, some people assumed they were talking about Liam Neeson, having forgotten his character's name. So, who knows how many people believe that Qui-Gon Jinn ordered the clones?

I think the Sifo-Dyas, Sidious similarity is either foreshadowing, a red herring, or just a poor choice of names (sort of like how "Sauron" and "Saruman" confused the heck out of some moviegoers.)

16. inkswamp

Oct 14, 2004
    How many times in life have you met someone who has a simular name to someone else? It happens.

It happens in real life and is meaningless. We're talking about fiction, something that was constructed by a human being with the intent to entertain other humans. If there is a similarity between two names, particularly when one is a mystery, it leads you to wonder.

17. inkswamp

Oct 14, 2004
    clone3131: So explain to me how Sidious (as Sifo Dyas) can sit right next to Yoda on the council and then have Yoda not recognize him as the senator from Naboo?

I don't know. Explain how a Sith master attain a position of enormous power in the Republic right under the noses of the Jedi. I don't think that argument is as solid as you think.

And anyway, don't be so confrontational sounding. Re-read my original post. I can accept that Sifo-Dyas is nothing more than a background character, but I have to wonder about the similarity there. It's curious. That's all.

Sapno Krei: I think the Sifo-Dyas, Sidious similarity is either foreshadowing, a red herring, or just a poor choice of names (sort of like how "Sauron" and "Saruman" confused the heck out of some moviegoers.)

That always bugged me about LOTR. Even reading the book (at least at the start) I had to keep flipping around the pages to make sure that "Saruman" wasn't some kind of variation in the name of the other bad guy and that they were referring to the same person. That was an annoyance even in reading it.

18. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Sifo-Dyas = Sifo-Dyas

Duh. The question is who ordered the creation of the clone army under the alias of Sifo Dyas?

He was dead before the army was ordered.

I believe AOTC explains it very subtly, tho.

When Obi asks Jango who hired him, he said he'd never heard of Sifo Dyas, but was hired by a man named Tyrannus.

Tyrannus is Dooku as we later discover when Sidious calls him lord tyrannus.

Therefore, Dooku ordered the clone army.

19. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    He was not dead before the clone army was ordered, Deception. He was however killed before Jango Fett became the prototype. This is the OFFICIAL Sifo-Dyas explanation.

Sifo-Dyas was a Jedi Master who, unlike his peers, saw the coming conflict. He took the initiative to order the Clone army.

Around the same time Count Dooku was being trained as a Sith by Darth Sidious. As his "Sith trial" so to speak, Sidious ordered Dooku to kill Master Syfo-Dias. Sidious knew of the clone army and decided it could be made useful. Dooku recruited Jango Fett to the be the donor clone. As his final act before leaving the Jedi Order, Count Dooku erased Kamino from the Jedi archives.

That's it.

20. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    It happens in real life and is meaningless. We're talking about fiction, something that was constructed by a human being with the intent to entertain other humans. If there is a similarity between two names, particularly when one is a mystery, it leads you to wonder.

And it's that same logic that people thought Bail Antilles and Bail Organa are the same person because someone had the same first name and they are from the same planet. But Bail Antilles and Bail Organa aren't the same person. Use that same logic in Sifo-Dyas and Sidious.

The Star Wars Universe is much bigger than Earth. Earth is just one planet, but as for Star Wars, they talk about tens of thousands of planets. So there is more of a chance that people will share the same name, or have a name that is simular, even though I don't Sifo-Dyas and Sidious sound that much alike.

I'm linking the answer to the Bails just in case someone needs to see it since I talked about.
    JEDI COUNCIL RESPONSE

21. DarthMaul-Em

DarthMaul-Em Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2005
    Dooku killed sifo-Dyas as part of his sith training.

22. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "but I will always wonder--that being the case--why the name of a known, deceased Jedi bears such a similarity to the name of the Sith master."

Here's what happend.

originally in AOTC it was SIDO-dyas, and Obi-wan remarked that no such jedi master existed, not that he was dead. Then Jango said "I was hired by a man called DARTH tyrannus on one of the moons..."

the dooku interrogation scene was not in the movie, so there was no point where the jedi learned that Sidious was the name of the sith master.

It was just obvious to the audience that Sidious pretended to be a jedi (wouldn't that make a funny scene) and the kaminos pronounced it SIDO-dyas

But then Lucas added the dooku explanation scene in, which means the jedi would know sidious ordered the clone army (which even with out this scene they should still be smart enough to figure out)

So then Lucas had to take out the reference to 'darth' in the jango scene, and changed the context of the sido dyas thing to sifo dyas. Which made sense that Sidious just took the name of a dead jedi and ordered the clones. But then this LOE book comes out with an ultracontrived explanation of the whole thing which I don't really buy but whatever. Everything I stated above is true, its the directors reason why it was done that way.

What they should done to avoid confusion is have the sith use QUi-gons name when ordering the clones, then Obi-wan could say "But he was killed before that" and the audience would know what he was talking about since they actually saw quigon die.

No confusion.

23. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    What they should done to avoid confusion is have the sith use QUi-gons name when ordering the clones

I understand your reasoning on this one, but the big reason why I disagree is because you would have gotten a lot of Qui-Gon is a traitor, that is why he was a maverick and stuff like that threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.