main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who really ordered the clone army?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediStarKiller, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ascaaear

Ascaaear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005

I havent read Labyrint of Evil, so I am not familiar with all facts here... but it doesnt seem right that Dooko and Sifo are the only one behind the Clone army. I think Palp. also have something to do with it. Palp. secretly use everybody else and have them fight against each other, without him being involved.

Btw. How do we know if Sifo himself did order, or fx. Dooko or Palp. used his name to order it?

2. Count-Tyrannus

Count-Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    The timeline is tricky. All this happens right after the Battle of Naboo. Apparently though, Sifo-Dyas and Dooku had been discussing the Clone Army and the Sith before the battle.

We know Dooku killed Syfo-Dyas. Nailing down Sidious' involvment in the intial stage of the army would mean pin-pointing exactly when he turned Dooku.

3. yellow_command535

yellow_command535 Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    well as we no sith names aren't really the perseons name. for example ankin: darth vader. what if the reason ob1 thought sifoudis died before that is cause darth maul was him. maybe darth maul/ sifoudis order it. thats why he thought he died before the army was made. also jango fett says he was hired my a man named traynus on one of the moons some planet. he may have said he was sifoudis to the kominoans!

4. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    No one knows! As you can tell, there isn't a cut and dry answer and though I do like a bit of ambiguity. This was the most disapointing aspect of ROTS.

I hate it when people scoff at the question, as if the answer is abundantly obvious. It totally isn't! All we know is that a Jedi named Syfo-Dias ordered the clone army. Whether it was him or not, we do not know. Whether he was killed before or after, we do not know. Lucas sets up this huge mystery and then doesn't address it, we're left wondering.

If you disagree, then why is this debate still going on?

Unless the rules have changed, I doubt that EU book is canon.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    However, that book was based upon Lucas's backstory notes and had additional input from Lucas, so details like this are likely as G-canon an answer as your likely to find on the subject.

6. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    I recently re-read LOE. It seems Dooku was converted by Sidious while he was actually STILL a member of the Order. He then killed Syfo-Dyas and erased Kamino.

I find this very interesting. Sidious must have bollocks the size of melons to have contacted a member of the Jedi Council in order to seduce him to the Sith.

7. Ascaaear

Ascaaear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    I think it is more proper to say he have bullocks the size of a Death star...

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    There is. The cut-and-dry answer came straight from Lucas' mouth and was used in Labyrinth of Evil. Like it or not, there's no debate.

The actual circumstances are still a bit mysterious, but the fact that Sifo-Dyas ordered the clone army to try to protect the Republic from the Sith is clear. Dooku killed him, picked Jango to be the host, and probably financed the enormous operation. Through Dooku, Palpatine put in stuff like Order 66 (which I'm sure most of the Kaminoans never knew about).

9. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    In the star wars website data bank it says the following...

Under Caminoans;
    ...they crafted specifically for the Republic. Fulfilling an order apparently commissioned by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, the Kaminoans used a bounty hunter named Jango Fett as the template for their human army. The end result ...

Dooku's involvement,

Under Jango Fett;
    About a decade prior to the outbreak of the Clone Wars, a man named Tyranus approached Jango on the moons of Bogden with an intriguing proposal. In exchange for a sizable fee, Jango would become the template of a clone army. Fett agreed, but with an unusual stipulation...

I thought this would help with regards to Dooku's knowledge at least of what was going on.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Sifo-Dyas did indeed order the clone army. Dooku killed him shortly afterwards. Dooku also wanted to destroy the Kaminoans, but Sidious convinced him that the army could be useful. Dooku then recruited Jango to be the clone template and the rest is history.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't believe it is stated anywhere that Dooku was on the Jedi Council...

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nope, he wasn't. And, AFAIK, Sifo-Dyas wasn't on the Council, either.

13. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Sifo-Dyas did indeed order the clone army. Dooku killed him shortly afterwards.

Exactly.

14. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I've always believed that Dooku ordered the clone army. Jango said he was indeed recruited by a man named Tyranus bka Count Dooku. Also the line that Dooku gave Mace Windu, "Worthy to be recgonized within the archives of the Jedi Order" is also a hint.

Then Yoda says only a JEDI could have erased those files that Obi-1 was looking for. Also consider that Dooku left the order probably AFTER Syfo Dyas was killed, not before since it was never said how long it took him to leave the Jedi Order after Qui-Gon's death.

15. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    *sigh* Just read Labyrinth of Evil Darth Kruel and all will be revealed...

16. DubWiser

DubWiser Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    Sids (or his proxy).

Indeed.

Reading doesn't necessarily = understanding.

"Exists" and Dex's quote about there being a difference between "knowledge and wisdom" aren't in the same passage by mistake.

//read

17. Hyper-Knuckles

Hyper-Knuckles Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    Some one told me that he had read in a book that Dooku had killed Sifo Dias, then used his name, went to kamino and asked for the creation of a clone army.

18. Kosei_Jedi

Kosei_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    Does it strike anyone as odd that Sifo-Dyas and Sidious have similar names?]-}

I think Dooku knew the entire plan of replacing the droids with the clones, just didnt factor in that a 20 something jedi with lots of anger, fear, and potential evil would slice off his hands and head. Palp felt, why have a apprentice as old or older than me, when i can have fresh meat?

19. Hyper-Knuckles

Hyper-Knuckles Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    So you think Sifo-Dias was evil?

20. Kosei_Jedi

Kosei_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    No, i just think that the name shouldve been changed to prevent some confusion. I think i heard somewhere or read somewhere, the name was originally going to be Sido-dyas, I assume George was gonna have Sidious be responsible, but then bailed.

21. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    That just doesn't make sense, sure Lucas may have had input on that book but hear me out. Why even creat the character Syfo-Dias if Dooku was the one who recruited jango? He's also the Jedi that probably erased the records.

I say probably because we really don't know that, it could have been that Syfo-Dias guy!

Besides how did Syfo know about the need for an army? Everything was cool back then, who gave him the scoop?

22. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    I am afraid you are mistaken my Twi'lek friend. Lama Su in AOTC plainly makes it clear that Sifo-Dyas was on the Council.

"Is not Master Sifo-Dyas a leading member of the Jedi Council?"

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    We can't really trust Lama Su, because he thought Sifo-Dyas was still alive at that time. Sifo misrepresented himself to the Kaminoans.

All of this is explained in Labyrinth of Evil. Read it.

24. Number20

Number20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    One has to be careful with trusting most any information that comes from the Kaminoians. It seems like they will clone for most anyone for anyone who has the cash with few questions asked. So much of the Syfo-Dias ordered the clones could be just lines they were paid off to say to anyone who asked questions. Or a psuedonym that was given to them that they never looked too far into. This would also explain how Palpatine got them programmed with order 66.
    Of course, I haven't read Labyrinth of Evil yet, so I can't comment on that angle.

25. CountCuckoo

CountCuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    here's something I got off the databank

So it was that a duplicitous Chancellor took advantage of this unswerving allegiance. Palpatine, who was in truth Darth Sidious, had masterminded the Clone Wars from its very inception, having arranged the creation of the army through the dead-end front of Sifo-Dyas. As part of a contingency, there were a series of emergency protocols that each clone commander was specifically trained to enact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.