main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Sees Anakin When They Look At Vader in the OT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by KNIRE_DARK, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KNIRE_DARK

KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I know a lot of people here may be the same way. I know this is probably how Lucas intended it to be, but when I watch the OT, I see Anakin, I don't see Vader. I know we're supposed to see Vader in a new light, but is anyone else having a hard time believing that it's our Ani under there? I get even more goosebumps now than I used to when I see the helmet being lowered onto Vader's head in ESB, knowing that those are the human remains of Anakin Skywalker, the brash, cocky young man of 25 years previous. In Ep. 3 he's supposed to be much older looking, and act much darker and look war-battered, and I hope that Ep. III does a better job of making me "see" Anakin under the Vader helmet in the PT.

I hope we get a dark, gritty Anakin, so then it won't be as big of a stretch believing that Anakin Skywalker truly is the man beneath the helmet of one of (if not THE)greatest villain in the history of American cinema (according to the American Film Institute).

2. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    no I see vader. actually after vader reveals himself in ESB and shows mercy to piett for failure I start to see anakin. but it will always be vader to me.

lucas wants it to go both ways he wants you to watch knowing anaikin will become vader.

3. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I don't see Anakin at all but i'm still waiting patiently.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I see Don Knotts. Should I seek help?

Nah, seriously... I don't think you're SUPPOSED to "see" Anakin... that part of Vader has been cast aside. The most you're supposed to get is in the back of your mind, a sensation...

I don't really see Anakin coming through until Luke and Vader meet in that corridor on Endor.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    They are opposite ends of the same person, and I actually see both in there. I think the transition has so far been seamless.

6. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I see Anakin... with a mask on.
    I think thats what I'm supposed to see.

Isnt that the point to the prequels?

HC from an insider interview (not exact, but he said something like):
    "I always wondered what Darth Vader looked like under that mask. Now I know... he looks like me!"

Setting aside what a freaky thing that would be for him, I think thats the point for us.

They're doin a great job, IMO.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Setting aside what a freaky thing that would be for him

[face_laugh]

Actually, I thought about this the other day when I was watching ANH. You know the scene where he chokes Admiral Motti?
    Just then, I started imagining Anakin standing there, calmly stretching out his hand and choking the admiral and then saying "I find your lack of faith disturbing". [face_shocked] Freaky stuff! That´s an entirely different Anakin, purely evil!
    So yes, I can see Anakin behind that mask. Only a lot different.

8. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I 'see' RotJ Anakin under the mask every time I watch ANH and ESB over.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I view Vader and Anakin as two separate beings. Vader is the epitome of a villain - he's powerful, he's ruthless, and will not let anyone stand in his way to achieve whatever goal he has in mind. Darth Vader may more or less be Anakin's corrupted ego, but ever since Anakin's transformation, Darth Vader has had the good guy that is Anakin pinned securely against the wall, until he suddenly broke free in RotJ.

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I do. When I saw the new pic.'s on the main page.

11. KNIRE_DARK

KNIRE_DARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't like the new Ani pics much, but it is easier to see "the man who would be Vader" actually, you know, BECOMING Vader.

12. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    I see Don Knotts.

Episode V: Mayberry Strikes Back.

13. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "I don't like the new Ani pics much, but it is easier to see "the man who would be Vader" actually, you know, BECOMING Vader."

That's what Episode III is for.

14. GrandTheftWatto

GrandTheftWatto Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    AOTC and ANH simply must be watched back-to-back. These two movies have MANY parallels and, although you don't see much of Anakin in Vader you DEFINATELY see a lot of Anakin in Luke.

15. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    When I watch the OT now I imagine Jake Lloyd inside the suit, reciting the lines in his own voice.

16. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    No, and we're not suppose to.

Remember what Obi-Wan said: "He's more machine than man now. Twisted and evil."

17. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I don't see Anakin at all.

I see an old man, lost, yet still set in his ways, unable to let go of the fear and hate that he has known for so long.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I only see occasional brief glimpses of Anakin. The main one that comes to mind is when Vader says "It's too late for me son...I must obey my master" I see an Anakin Skywalker who has been broken into obiedience but, I see him implying that Luke should run and he won't stop him and he hopes that Luke will overcome the Emperor. He just can't overcome the Dark Side.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You know, I tell myself every time I watch the OT now: that's Anakin with the ponytail inside the armor!

But it doesn't matter.

Darth Vader remains an awesome, fear-inspiring, impressive presence with no hint of humanity until the Throne Room scene (except for maybe when Luke meets him on Endor).

I wonder if we'll have cause to hate Anakin after Episode III, but then there's already a thread on that.

20. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    The scene on Endor is GREAT. He always seemed very... human to me. And then even after watching TPM (just putting a human face to him, even if it was Jake Lloyd), that scene totally changed for me. I can just see him thinkin about his mom, his wife.... man. Great scene.

And he has a green saber in his hand for the first time in.... how long?
    Thats just cool. Damn cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.