main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who should direct Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Considering how we haven't even received a trailer for Episode VII yet, I understand that this is incredibly early to start such a discussion. However since we already know that Rian Johnson will be directing Episode VIII, I figured it might as well be a good a time as any to start talking about who the third and final director of the Sequel Trilogy might be.

My personal Top 3 candidates are names that have been thrown out a lot by other folks already, so I admit it's pretty unoriginal, but I think all three directors are incredibly talented and dynamic filmmakers who are all capable of bringing an interesting flavor to the Star Wars franchise and create an epic conclusion to the story.

• Brad Bird
    • Alfonso Cuaron
    • Duncan Jones
    What about you guys though? Who are you hoping for to helm the finale of the Sequel Trilogy?

Acroyear and Immortiss like this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Joe Johnston would be my 1st choice.

Some guy named George Lucas would be my 2nd choice.

My homeboys from Cleveland, Anthony and Joe Russo would be my 3rd choice

JJ Abrams and Joseph Kosinski round out my list.

3. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I really like your first, third and fifth choices! Good calls there.

That being said, while I have a massive amount of respect for Lucas and the work he's accomplished, I don't think he'd ever direct Episode IX and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for him to do so either. I'm sure JJ will do a great job with VII, but I don't know if he'd be the right guy to finish up the trilogy either.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. forzaskywalker

forzaskywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Entirely depends on JJ and Rian's respective performances w 7/8. Both have great potential.
    Besides them, Terry Gilliam would b curious, even Lucas again. I think JJ or Rian, if they do well with 7 and 8, should b top choices for the last one, though.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    Dear Force, let this cup pass from us. [face_praying]

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  6. forzaskywalker

Oct 18, 2014
    Also, JJ directing and Rian writing the last one would certainly make all kinds of sense as well (assuming 7/8 r good enough).

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm being much more curious than serious about this, but how do you guys think a Lucas-directed film with OT-type group creative control would look for IX?

T-R- likes this.
  8. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Oh god, Terry Gilliam would be an incredible pick! But would he be interested?

plaidphoenix likes this.
  9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No. Furthermore all of his films in the last 15 years or so have been terrible.

10. forzaskywalker

Oct 18, 2014
    Lotta ppl love him, some h8 him.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Aronofsky would be my pick since The Fountain has lingered in my mind like few genre films of recent years. I suspect he's someone who could make a Star Wars film that really feels like an interesting new experience.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  12. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Aronofsky would definitely make for an interesting candidate to direct Episode IX. I thoroughly enjoyed Black Swan!

13. Salacious Crumbs

Salacious Crumbs Jedi Padawan

Sep 25, 2014
    All for Brad Bird, he'd be absolutely perfect. Joe Johnston makes a lot of sense.

One name that I can add to the pile is Tony Gilroy. He's great with character and story (Michael Clayton) and more than competent with action, having written the Bourne series and directed Legacy; I think he'd be a pretty classy choice along the lines of Irvin Kershner.

T-R-, Vohnkar and Chained Prometheus like this.
  14. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I think Brad Bird would probably be the best all-around pick for capturing the iconic Star Wars tone. His work demonstrates that proper balance of entertaining both children and adults, as well as knowing how to really capture that sense of adventure and wonder. In comparison, I think Cuaron or Jones would probably turn out something a little more unusual for Star Wars, but either one would almost definitely put out a film that's just as good as Bird would.

15. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014
    Well it has to be someone who is a fan, a good director trade-wise and preferably experienced in SF/space opera/phantasy genre. Also someone who is able to adjust his/her style, so it all fits SW-story telling mold.

[This list is handicapped as it contains only A-listers.]

I wouldn't exclude Spielberg, as he was already involved in RoS, and if things go south at the box office he is a perfect choice.

Not a fan of Transformers at all, but considering a timeless classic The Island - Michael Bay. (If you like THX 1138, The Island is right your alley. That would be a perfect double-feature, if there ever was one.)

Another veteran - Ridley Scott. Has a hell of a resume. Works well with Ford (assuming Han survives).

Frank Oz is a phenomenal director in his own right, and if anyone knows what SW is all about - it's Yoda.

Lawrence Kasdan would be a great choice in my opinion, assuming someone else writes the script.

Nicolas Winding Refn is apparently a SF fan (appears in documentary about scrapped Dune project), maybe too adult for Disney/general audience.

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    If he had any interest in working with mainstream Hollywood, I'd like to see John Carpenter direct.

Ridley Scott would be interesting, but I suspect that this point if he does sci-fi it's going to be Alien/Prometheus related.

David Lynch? Maybe, I think he got a bum rap for Dune but on the other hand, he did turn down the chance to direct Jedi so he'd probably decline again for the same reason.

17. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Paul Verhoeven
    Kenneth Branagh
    James Cameron
    Mel Gibson

If not episode IX they have to let Verhoeven loose on one of stand alone's

18. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Would love to see a Star Wars by Verhoeven.

19. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I think JJ should return for IX. Or he should certainly return to produce, if he's not producing 8.
    Good lord you guys have suggested some horrible choices, maybe another choice would be another interesting, relative newcomer like Rian.
    Dunno why people are soo confident in Brad Bird given he's only done one thing yet in live action and it was a decent but still inferior sequel to JJ's movie. I've been slightly disappointed in what we've seen of tomorrow land

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Guillermo del Toro.

21. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    id be fine with del toro directing/someone else writing

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    someone called Uwe Boll.:D[face_laugh];):p

Outerridge likes this.
  23. Outerridge

Outerridge Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

forzaskywalker and starocean90 like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I was just joking, going for the opposite, who would be the worst choice for Episode IX?:D[face_laugh]

Outerridge likes this.
  25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Michael Bay?

Pasjo_Kynrid, mavjade , T-R- and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.