main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who should direct Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I have a gut feeling that they will film VIII and IX together, so I'd say Rian Johnson.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  2. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Your point? I am not a fan of his directing style at all and I get the general impression from him that the only thing he really cares about in filmmaking is his paycheck. He might be semi-capable with a camera and know how to do decent special effects, but he doesn't give a damn about characters, dialogue or the actual story of a film. Hell, Ed Wood was a horrible director, but at least he was passionate about his work! I really don't get that impression from Bay.

Compare that with directors like Rian Johnson, Brad Bird or Alfonso Cuaron. Those are directors who are not only incredibly gifted at their craft, but they're passionate about their work too.

Palpatine2016 and plaidphoenix like this.
  3. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I'm all for passing on the torch to the next gen like JJ and Rian but let's face it, these guys can't hold a candle to Speilberg. Speilberg is the perfect director for a SW film and has been for 30 years.

hachijedi likes this.
  4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

It's my dream for Steven to do a "Star Wars" film.

5. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Of the "realistic" choices, Matt Vaughn, Edgar Wright and Brad Bird would easily be at the top of my list (Rian Johnson as well, but he's obviously already been tapped for Episode 8 and possibly 9).

Ideal, dream scenario? Spielberg, Joss Whedon, Alfonso Cuaron or del Toro would definitely do it for me. It's too bad though, since Spielberg seems totally uninterested in Star Wars, Cuaron has said he wants to step back from bigger films, Whedon is busy with Marvel/Avenger stuff, and it seems that del Toro has a lot on his plate plus more Pacific Rim movies.

I think Star Wars would be a tough gig for most people because you need a director that not only understands the serial, pulpy, fun elements of the genre, but also the mythological and psychological underpinnings, as well.

6. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I think Cuaron could be potentially swayed into doing it, considering how KK was able to sway JJ into doing VII, but who knows. That being said, I'd have no problems with Rian directing both VIII and IX, especially since he's already writing IX anyway. He's one helluva director.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    30 years ago Spielberg would have been the perfect director for Star Wars coming off Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders and E.T. but I can't say I was impressed by his last two forays into pure Sci-Fi, Minority Report and War of the World. While visually impressive, Minority Report left me underwhelmed, but that may be colored by the fact I'm fan of Phillip K. Dick. As for War of the Worlds, that left me totally unmoved in every respect. It left me totally flat.

I'm not saying Spielberg has lost his touch as a director, but I think he's been honing his skills more towards the dramatic end of the spectrum over the last 20+ years and doesn't quite have the edge he had for action/adventure he used to have and while you need a dramatic element in a Star Wars movie, it also needs those Saturday afternoon matinee elements that Spielberg and Lucas were fans of when they were kids.

I think Cuaron would do an excellent job with Star Wars. The only thing is, most of the directors we're talking about and most directors worth their salt would probably want to have at least some say on the script before they start filming and if Rian has been tapped to write IX, it probably means we'll see him direct it as well.

8. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    Completely agreed. I think it's pretty clear that Spielberg's interests are in a pretty different direction from Star Wars.

Very true. I always figured that if Rian didn't direct Episode IX, his script would probably be revised by either the new director or someone who they select, sort of like how Ardnt wrote the first draft of Episode VII and it was rewritten by Kasdan and JJ. But yeah, if Rian does stay onboard for both VIII and IX, he'll definitely do a terrific job with both films.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  9. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    1) Brad Bird
    2) Mathew Vaughn
    3) Steven Spielberg

10. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    If he had any interest in science fiction, I'd be curious to see what Clint Eastwood could do with a Star Wars movie.

11. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
  12. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    David lynch/fincher maybe Mel Gibson heck Clint Eastwood just to be random

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    1. Joss Whedon
    2. Joss Whedon
    3. Joss Whedon

14. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I would like to be surprised by a left field choice. Kersh was definitely a left field choice. He had no experience with a giant production like SW and he brought something new to the table. A director who has never helmed a Sci-fi or action movie blockbuster would be a really exciting pick in my book.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lars Von Trier

16. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    Greatest actor/director of all time, William Shatner

17. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. yawa306

yawa306 Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2014
    Joss Whedon, Brad Bird, or Or zombie Stanley Kubrick

19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    With the possibility of Jurassic World having a Really big opening weekend Box Office and a big Box Office in general, and the Critical Acclaim JW Is getting from the fans, The Fans seem to Love Jurassic World me included, Would You Like to see Collin Trevorrow Direct Star Wars Episode 9? I have a theory, back when Trevorrow was rumored for the gig of Episode 7 I believe Lucasfilms, Kathleen Kennedy wanted Trevorrow but felt he was to inexperienced and he did not have a blockbuster under his belt, so Disney/Lucasfilms had a hand shake agreement that if JW was a critical success and well received that he would direct a future Star Wars movie, may be even episode 9 Recently Trevorrow announced he will not be coming back to Direct any sequels of Jurassic World, could this be a sign that his next gig is Star Wars Episode 9 or at the very least one of the Anthology Star Wars Movies?....

Mav Edit: This doesn't really need it's own thread, we have a thread for discussion possible Episode 9 directors. I'm going to merge this thread with that one.

20. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
  21. Latrine

Latrine Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2001
  22. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Jurassic World was just alright to me. I enjoyed it, but will probably never watch it again. It was also ridiculous, but I don't mind that aspect so much.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I would Love it if Trevorrow Directed Episode 9 or an Anthology movie. I thought JW was Fantastic and I think it is going to make a heck of a lot of coin. Also most fans love it, what can he do for Star Wars?

24. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    No. What are we now, grasping at straws? SW can do better and deserves better.

25. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    What he can do for Star Wars is NOT get involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.