main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Tier 1: Directors who’ve made recent Star Wars films I liked or other huge films I liked

JJ Abrams
    James Cameron
    Steven Spielberg
    Joss Whedon
    Guillermo Del Toro
    Peter Jackson
    Christopher Nolan
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Denis Villeneuve
    George Miller
    Rian Johnson
    Patty Jenkins
    Taika Waititi
    Alejandro G. Iñárritu
    Alphonzo Cauron
    Gareth Edwards/Tony Gilroy

Tier 2: Younger Directors I like
    Jeff Nichols
    Alex Garland
    Ryan Coogle
    Matthew Vaughn
    Edgar Wright
    Gareth Evans (Different person than Gareth Edwards)
    Joon-Ho-Bong
    Neil Blompkamp
    Tomas Alfredson
    Todd Haynes
    David Leitch / Chad Stalheski
    The Duffer Brothers

Tier would never happen but would be fun on the right Star Wars idea:

Quentin Tarantino
    Spike Lee
    Nicolas Winding Refn
    Paul Thomas Anderson
    Derek Cianfrance
    Julian Schnabel
    Martin Scorsese
    David Fincher
    Michel Gondry
    Steve McQueen
    Fernando Meirelles
    Ang Lee
    Terrence Malick

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Yora likes this.
  2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    So, I don't think this bit of news has really made the rounds on the boards that much, but Reed Morano (The Handmaiden's Tale, EON Productions' upcoming non-Bond film, The Rhythm Section, various other projects as a D.P.) meet with Kathleen Kennedy a week or two back. That meeting fueled the internet rumor mill in claiming she would become the first Star Wars female director, but when pressed in interviews, she claimed she can't reveal what they talked about, but that she wasn't doing a Star Wars film.

Of course, this easily could be misdirection. Perhaps they did meet about an upcoming, announced SW film? Perhaps they meet to talk about a SW TV series? Spielberg is doing Indiana Jones 5, so that's probably off the table. I don't think at this point in time Disney is going to let Lucasfilm work on non-Star Wars or non-Indiana Jones projects, but, perhaps they're cooking something else up?

At the end of the day, maybe it was just a friendly meeting to get to know each other, but, I would welcome Morano to play in the Lucasfilm universe.

3. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Denis Villenueve is the best director working in Hollywood today, imo. I hope I didn’t butcher his last name lol.

4. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    I think tier one simply will not happen beyond JJA and RJ but I think several on the tier 2 list could very well happen!

Personally I would not have either JJA or RJ on that tier one list (I know you included because they have already made a SW film) but IMO neither deserves to be on the same list as almost all those other names!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, I included them (and Edwards/Gilroy) because all 3 both have made Star Wars films that I liked. Not just that they made Star Wars films. I like each of TFA, RO and TLJ for different reasons and different levels of appreciation.

Had Johnson not made TLJ he would have been on my younger director list anyway to be honest.

6. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Fair enough my friend it is your list after all.

Personally I have never seen what the hype is about JJA. His films are well crafted but just seem so derivative. He doesn't really seem to have a signature style (apart from the often mocked lens flare). I also think his scripting is lazy and takes short cuts that require logic jumps. Saying that he has a great box office track record so Hollywood loves him!

7. Revan51

Revan51 Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2014
    I'd have to cast my vote for Peter Jackson for at least a spinoff. The LOTR movies are clearly based on excellent source material, but his adaptations are some of the best movies ever made imo. ( I don't blame him fully for how the hobbit turned out)

MS1 and Krueger like this.
  8. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Nolan and/or Spielberg.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't agree completely with The Hobbit part, but yes, all in all, Jackson is still a quality filmmaker and it would be foolish to write him off, as some have.

Revan51 likes this.
  10. Revan51

Revan51 Jedi Knight

Nov 28, 2014
    Sometimes I like to pretend the Hobbit movies didn't happen. But, they are a goldmine for really bad jokes and cheesy memes.

"Not one coin, NOT A SINGLE PIECE"
    "Because it was REAL"

11. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    After the reviews that came in today for Black Panther, and what I've been reading about Ryan Coogler, I hope Kennedy is actively courting him RIGHT NOW to do a future SW film or three. :cool:

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll continue to bang the drum for Brad Bird and Andrew Stanton, two Pixar veterans who had some misfires in live action, but remain very talented and imaginative.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Jackson is great, what happened in the Hobbit was not his fault... he designed two movies, and the studio demanded 3 after they already were shooting the first one.

And the extended editions of The Hobbit are quite nice. The theatrical versions are lacking.

In fact, what he is most criticised, which was adding/changing stuff to the Tolkien lore to fill up the Hobbit trilogy, is a sign of his strenghts as a creative writer.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'd like to see Gareth Edwards get another crack - He made the best SW film since Jedi imo! The Duffer Brothers seem like a good choice for the OT time period as well...

GregMcP, Krueger and MS1 like this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Three Hobbit films weren't mandated by Warner Brothers. Jackson approached them to do three because he had a severely compressed preproduction schedule when he took over as director following Del Toro's departure.

In any case, I doubt Jackson wants to take on another large scale epic like Star Wars any time soon, given that he's made seven of them over the past twenty years.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If he would be still alive:
    What about Russ Meyer?

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Since Rian Johnson and the GoT crew are directing films set in the Star Wars Universe, I wanted to throw open the doors and see what writer/directors you all want to see given a shot? The rules are, it can be a Stand Alone film or a Trilogy but it can't be apart of the Skywalker saga.

I think Patty Jenkins could do some good work with a Stand Alone film.

Ryan Coogler did a great Job with Black Panther, and since he clearly loved and was good at building a world in that film that's part of a larger universe I'd LOVE to see what he does with Star Wars.

James Mangold did excellent work on Logan, so I feel he could tackle a gritter Star Wars film, something in 1313 or following the uglier side of war.

Antoine Fuqua did wonderfully with his Magnificent Seven Remake, along with the Equalizer and training day. Again I'd go for something smaller scale and gritter but I feel he could bring some good stories to life in this universe

afrojedi and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Considering how little the sequel trilogy cared for that, I'd be positive towards Coogler getting a shot.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Gamma626 and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  20. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Just a slight correction for the thread: The two parties are writing and creating the stories. RJ is only confirmed for directing one of his films. I don't think Benioff and Weiss are directing any of their films, unless later announced.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  21. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I’m genuinely curious to see what Quentin Tarantino would do with a Star Wars Movie.

22. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Unfortunately with the fiasco surrounding him I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I knew I posted this elsewhere but give me Clint Eastwood. Give him kenobi

23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I’d love to see Taylor Sheridan direct and write a Star Wars movie. Ideally, I’d like to see something like his neo-Western trilogy (Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River): a series of unconnected Anthology films that explore the Star Wars galaxy from different perspectives with a thematic through line.

James Mangold would be good for either a Solo sequel or Boba Fett/Bounty Hunters type film.

Denis Villeneuve and Matt Reeves are two directors that I’d love to see come onboard the franchise but are both probably way too busy to do so (the former adapting Dune and the latter tied up with the next Batman movie).

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The Zucker Brothers.

GregMcP likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ryan Coogler
    Patty Jenkins
    Ava DuVernay

afrojedi and PymParticles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.