main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Should Have Done Vader's Voice?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BigMackDaddy, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    James Earl Jones is Darth Vader, there is no other! How dare you. 8-}

Seriously, back in the day when I was a child I did not know who did the voice of Vader, so I never associated the sound of his voice with any specific race.

I could not imagine any other person as Vader's voice, and I would not want too.

2. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    JEJ's voice is what made Darth Vader so imposing and frightening...

... as well as he's 6'7", and his suit is bad ass, and he kills loads of people. Hes just one bad mother!! :D

3. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    ...Jones' voice sounded too black.

How can someone's voice sound too black? Does Billy Dee Williams have a "black" voice?

Anywayz, would Vin Diesel or Ving Rhames be suitable candidates?

4. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    So if things were different and Christopher Lee did the voice for Vader, do you think JEJ would have played Dooku?

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    no, christopher walken would play dooku

6. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    No, Christopher Walken would play Obi Wan.

"Luke your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, it's his Lightsaber. After he died of disintary I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my @$$ for 2 years. After 7 years I was sent home to my family. And now little man.....I give the Lightsaber to you."

7. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    How does James Earl Jones sound black? He doesn't sound "black" to me. He sounds like a dude with a booming voice, perfect for the deep, artificial, imposing voice that would be emanating from the biggest badass Sith cyborg in the galaxy.

8. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    "Luke your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, .... And now little man.....I give the Lightsaber to you."

That's :p vw jedi! So, ever read the short comic story Force Fiction?

9. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    That's vw jedi! So, ever read the short comic story Force Fiction?

No, what's it about?

10. young_paddy1

young_paddy1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Vin Diesel and Vang Rhames' voices haven't got the right tone to be Vader, neither of them have the cold, calculating, shakespearian actor style voice needed to play the role.

11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Was Orson Wells alive during this time? He'd be the only that could come close to matching James Earl Jones. And no, Mike Tyson is the wrong period. Muhammed Ali, or Leon Spinx (You all can run with it from there) are the boxers you're looking for during that period. My twisted choice would have been Desi Arnaz.....

12. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Force Fiction is in SW Tales Volume 2. It's the scene from Pulp Fiction in the restaurant, only then with Yoda and Mace (Sam Jackson). Really cool!

13. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    James Earl Jones has the best speeking voice in the world. He does the commercials for our local phone provider, Verizon. and we got a message on our answering machine "Welcome to Verizon." It was cool. No one else should ever, EVER do Darth Vader's voice.

14. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I love JEJ's voice and I think it is especially fitting for Darth Vader, I like how it provides a stark contrast to what Anakin really sounds like when we hear/see him at the end of ROTJ.

And as it has been mentioned before JEJ always sounds like this, and as a Sith Lord who's power is drawn from fear, a voice that sounds scary even when he's not trying to is more frightening than where you can tell soneone is putting a special effort into it to make it sound scary.

P.S. I'm sick. If anyone else is, PM me with your symptoms. :_|

15. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Force Fiction is in SW Tales Volume 2. It's the scene from Pulp Fiction in the restaurant, only then with Yoda and Mace (Sam Jackson). Really cool!

That sounds really funny. I'll have to check that out, thanks!

16. TotaleFinsternis

TotaleFinsternis Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    While Christopher Lee has a slightly richer bass (have you ever heard that man sing??!*swoon*) than JEJ, I still think that JEJ is the perfect man for the job. Lee, to me, sounds very sophisticated and elegant when he speaks . . . and as Vader, JEJ simply just sounds impassive and ruthless.

As to the 'black' sound of JEJ's voice, I just don't hear it at all -- most blacks don't have a noticeable sound to indicate their race (for example, if you are an opera singer <*blushes*> I am <*/blushes*>, you know that many black singers have the same color/quality/timbre etc. as a white singer would have. So no, JEJs doesn't sound 'black' at all to me . . . in fact, I remember that when I learned that he WAS black, I was surprised (many moons ago).

In conclusion -- JEJ KICKS ASS AS VADER'S VOICE!! AAAAAAHH!

Anyone?

17. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I cannot think of a more perfect Vader voice than James Earl Jones. :D

18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    If you were to substitute JEJ voice with CLs voice I don't think it would have had the same impact.

Look, I like JEJ as do countless others. He "is" the best voice of Darth Vader.

19. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    I concur. James Earl Jones is the one. His voice doesn't seem to indicate his race to me; it's just awesome, period. No one else could be DV.

20. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    James Earl Jones was/is the best choice for Vader's voice.

21. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Orson Welles is the only one who could have given JEJ any competition. The work he did in Transformers is fantastic.

22. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Thinking about the Transformers movie, I remember thinking Leonard Nimoy's voice sounding a bit menacing too, could he do Vader justice?

23. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    "While Christopher Lee has a slightly richer bass (have you ever heard that man sing??!*swoon*) "

This is probably old news but he's a session member of a heavy metal band called Rhapsody now. (!)

Now, JEJ is Darth Vader, don't get me wrong...

But I could hear Orson Welles as Vader. He could've pulled it off.

Actually I was watching some old movies around Halloween and got to thinking that Boris Karloff might've made a good Vader!

24. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Sean Connery, doing the voice would be too funny.

Vader, Darth Vader.

I said I wanted a Martini, (pause) Shaken (half-pause) not stirred.

No, Mr Kenobi, I expect you to die!!!

25. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, how do you know he is white from the beginning? Seeing first time he is all black, so black voice suits him fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.