main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who Should Have Trained Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthDiabolous, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    Who should have trained anakin? I believe that having a different master than Obi Wan would have greatly changed the outcome of the entire saga...

perhaps Yoda could have trained him, perhaps Mace, perhaps somebody like ki adi mundi, etc...

So who do you think?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It wouldn't have mattered who trained him because doctrinal Jedi training would have never fit someone like Anakin.

3. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Mine is a firm belief that his fate was sealed the moment Qui-Gon was skewered. Anakin needed a nurturing surrogate, and none of the Jedi were up to the task. In lieu of this, the boy tethered himself to a serpentine politician and mommy surrogate.

In a way, Palpatine and Padme filled Qui-Gon and Shmi's roles--to disastrous effect.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think Qui-Gon would have made the best teacher for Anakin...for many reasons.

5. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Exactly, it really doesn't matter if it is Qui-Gon, Kenobi, or even Yoda. The only way Anakin could have been trained is if he was founded when he was a baby.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yoda is the only one who would have had a chance of preventing his fall as the old Jedi was the first to see that Palpatine shouldn't be trusted. If they had managed to get Anakin away from Sidious, there would have been a greater chance that they would succeed in freeing him from attachment.

7. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    But by the time Yoda saw that Palpatine was not to be trusted, it would have been too late, - Yoda only really lost trust in Palpatine during the Clone Wars. I don't know if Qui-Gon could have made a better job, but personally, I feel that Obi-Wan did the best he could. As the council said, he was too old to begin the training. The only difference that may have changed what happened would be the Jedi letting Anakin help his mother,when he first knew she was in trouble, thus not letting him get his first taste of the Dark Side (excluding Rogue Planet). How much this would have helped, especially with a manipulative Sith Lord whispering in his ear, though, is any ones guess.

Daft-Vader

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I think you're probably right that he would have still fallen. I just think Yoda would have had ever so slight a better chance of preventing it due to his greater wisdom and insight. Of course, he still would have run into the issue of Anakin ignoring advice if it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yoda's advice in ROTS turned out to be completely useless from Anakin's point of view.

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, which is why he ignored it. However, if Yoda had been raising Skywalker since he was 9, he might have been more receptive to what he needed to hear.

11. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Trouble is, what Anakin wanted to hear was something along the lines of 'bring your loved one in, and save her we will' or 'Thee Power to save one from death is not a Sith trick, the secret is...'

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Right, but if he was trained from the time he was 9, Yoda would probably have been able to get him to let go of that attachment or at the least prevent Anakin from ever following up on it.

13. DarthDiabolous

Sep 23, 2006
    i think yoda would have disciplined anakin the best, but quigon would have been the perfect master for him...

he would have taught him how to listen to the force, not to his feelings...

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    For continuity: Obi Wan

Full warrior extent: Mace Windu or Yoda

Full force potential: Qui Gon

Full darkside extent: Plageuis or Sidious.

15. DarthDiabolous

Sep 23, 2006
    so basically who is the best mix of full warrior and force potential?

i would have to say master yoda... so therefore i conclude that yoda should have trained anakin... and arguments against?

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The fact that it was Yoda who set down the very rules and regulations that drove Anakin into becoming Darth Vader.

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, and the fact that he was part of the Council which initially refused to train Anakin.

18. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Qui-Gon Jinn...& perhaps later on Yoda.

19. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Couldn't say it better myself!:D although I don't blame Pamdè as much Palpatine & the Jedi for what happen.

20. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not the Jedi's fault that Anakin refused to hear the truth.

21. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Exaclty - Anakin only likes the truth when it suits his purpose. This means that it probably wouldn't matter who taught him, He would still be easily corruptible. Passed it on to Luke to, slightly, with his not believing Obi-Wan and Yoda that Vader couldn't be redeemed, but then, that truth was from 'a Certain point of view'

22. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, but Luke's judgment was better than Anakin's, so it didn't have the same negative consequences.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I agree, but I would also add that the Jedi didn't know the whole truth about the Force at the time at which Anakin was being trained. This, and their whole "OK, we'll train you, but don't expect us to like it" attitude towards Anakin's training played right into Sidious's hands.

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I think you're right in terms of Lucas' intent, but they don't really change that much in-between trilogies.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Not that much, but I think they change enough to bring the point home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.