main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who should have trained Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 25, 2015.

1. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Obi-Wan was aware of Anakin's weaknesses and overlooked them. He was aware of his interest on Padme from before Attack of the Clones and still allowed him to become close to her.

Some experienced Jedi Master should have trained Anakin. Yoda himself should have taken him as Padawan, if he really thought that he was such a danger but was unwilling to lose Obi-Wan for that. Or he could have arranged for Shmi to be bought, brought to Alderaan and given a decent job, and offered her to recover her child...What would Obi-Wan do under those circunstances? Kidnap the kid from his mother?

As a matter of fact, you could argue that Obi-Wan himself wasn't a good Jedi, because he was willing to leave the Order and train an unfit disciple for the sake of sentimentalism.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I feel that if any other Jedi were to train Anakin, they might have been too strict/rigid with him-based on what we've seen in his interactions with other Jedi, which could've ultimately even caused Anakin to leave the Jedi order-thus making it even easier for him to succumb to the darkside.

I agree about Obi-Wan not being the best teacher for him, but I think his "tolerance" for Anakin was just enough to keep him from going rogue early on. But I still believe Anakin would've ended up turning to the Darkside at some point either way.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  3. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    It would have been better if Anakin had left the Order earlier. He would have become some powerful but unskilled washout that would have made a living as racing pilot or droid engineer, instead of the dagger that would kill the Jedi Order. Palpatine might have sought and trained him anyways, or maybe not, he had a lot in his plate and may have deemed tracking and training some rogue teen not worth his time and effort.

4. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Sifo Dyas

5. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

However, I still believe Qui-Gon would have made a better teacher for Anakin than Obi-Wan.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  7. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Nobody. Anakin should not have been trained as a Jedi. And.....Dooku becoming a Sith Lord puts Obi-Wan's line about thinking he could do a better job than Yoda into a somewhat...different perspective, I think, than what one might have considered that line to have meant within simply it's original context.

Also that the Jedi agreed to Anakin being trained, and his being trained by Obi-Wan renders his claim that he took it upon himself to train Anakin in a different light - as does the fact that he was asked to make a promise to his dying Master to do so...

Tosche_Station likes this.
  8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Qui Gon should've trained him, he was meant to train him. I think there still would've been the same problems (attachment, quick to anger, overwhelming expectations, immaturity, etc) but I think Qui Gon truly would've handled the situation better. Where Obi Wan was an extension of the council, Qui Gon was an extension of the force. He bent the rules from time to time as well, and would've passed that off on to Anakin in a more healthy manner, instead of Obi Wan forever being a responsible and top notch Jedi who followed the rules and made it so that Anakin had to hide his issues from his master.

Anakin should've been passed onto a more experienced master, but I agree he still probably would've turned up the same. Regardless, Obi Wan made it quite clear he was going to train Anakin with or without the council's permission. It was his last mission for Qui Gon, it was out of respect and duty.

9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Qui-Gon, for reason others said.

Besides that I think it is just implied symbolically.

10. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    I`ll start off by saying that I think one can provide a strong enough argument as to why Obi-Wan wasn`t the best choice of teacher for Anakin, and that both Master and Padawan suffered from it.

That being said, I don`t think it would have mattered regarding Anakin`s fall. Anakin was too old when he was admitted into the Order to truly accept the "No Attachments" Rule. He would grow attached to Padme (or someone else) regardless of who trained him, and when it came to choosing between the Jedi and said person`s life, he would choose the latter. I don`t think there was any way of saving Anakin from falling to the Dark Side. That`s part of the tradegy of it all.

Of course, the Jedi were ultimately saved by having trained Anakin, as Sidious` plan would have worked just fine without him, and no-one would be there to destroy Sidious 20+ years later. But regarding his fall, I think Anakin was pretty much doomed the moment he began the training.

11. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Why wasn't Anakin processed like a normal Jedi? He would have been assigned to a master other than Obi-Wan and correctly trained in the process of the order.

12. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Say - on a side note - SLIGHTLY UNRELATED BUT suppose IF even ... PALPATINE IF HE TRAINED A YOUNG ANAKIN - so around the time of TPM - would he still have been somewhat 'frustrated' by Anakin? I mean despite in ROTS how he dubs and recruits Anakin to join the Sith and hence you got Darth Vader YET Anakin in all his glorious arrogance, greed, anger and impulsive stupidity he ends up 'half-baked' on Mustafar as the result and is confined to being a Mechanical Darth Vader for life and such ... and given Palpatine was no merciful task master ... would he have had trouble too raising Anakin as a Sith SUPPOSEDLY IF HE TRAINED ANAKIN AT A YOUNG AGE?

13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    He probably would've taught him how to better control and hon his emotions so he wouldn't end up looking like a KFC person.

14. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Hello again! Really? Given it seems that Anakin - well at a young age already he was already one who packed a bad temper and was quite stubborn - and considering unless he was like taken literally since he was a baby ... and given how Anakin was already full of emotions and such ... I mean SURELY Palpatine must have realized whilst he knew Anakin was emotionally vulnerable - at the same time he was also surely liable to being a loose canon - and he could unleash his rage on friend and foe ... I mean afterall - when he realized he 'killed Padme in his anger' Anakin was in despair and anguish and he no doubt took out his anger on whatever and whoever and Palpatine was even in the room BUT it was due to his raw potential cut in half ... and the fact Anakin already harbored intentions to overthrow Palpatine ...

15. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    To go along with the question, I believe the Master who could've gotten the most out of Anakin would've been Qui-Gon given how quick they got along with each other in Ep1. They both understood each other and Qui-Gon was fighting tooth and nail against the Council to have Anakin trained. BUT, knowing how Qui-Gon was known to be sort of rebellious and stubborn per-say, I don't think that would have been the ideal situation for Anakin to be trained in..

But to ruin your original question, your question is irrelevant because Anakin's story was already prophesied long before any of the current Jedi were born (with the exception of maybe Yoda)..so technically all the players involved in the story are pawns in the grand scheme of things because whoever prophesied Anakin being the chosen one knew Obi-Wan would become his master..maybe not.. good question nonetheless :)

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jedi master El-Santo

[​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Well, since my earlier suggestion of Dooku has been proven impossible, what about Mace.

Mace at the time of tpm was not as antagonistic to Anakin as he would be later. IN fact the only canon time he and Anakin do not see eye to eye is really during the clone wars and episode 3. The council voted against yoda to train Anakin after Naboo which points to Mace voting for him to be trained then.

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    MACE WINDU
    No, he will not be trained.

We don't know if he voted for or against Anakin being trained, just that Yoda himself didn't agree with the subject.

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Mace there is simply stating the decision of the council, that does not necessarily imply it was his own opinion at the time. During the scene were he is testing Anakin he seems impressed by the boy.

Yoda also says that the councik excluding himself agrees with obiwan training anakin at the end of the movie.

20. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Qui-gon would have been ideal. He knew Anakin best out of the Jedi, at least at first anyway. Anakin respected Qui-gon, and Qui-gon believed in Anakin.

Obi-wan is a bad choice. Anakin and his personalities don't seem to work well together. And Obi-wan needs to be a Knight for a little while before taking on a Padawan on his own.

There doesn't really seem to be another good master for Anakin shown, but the first person that comes to mind is Quinlan Vos. He seems calm, which I think is definitely a trait needed for Anakin's master, and he seems less strict on the rules, another trait good for Anakin's master. Really, though, out of 10,000 Jedi, there has got to be a better Jedi more suited to the task somewhere. Basically he needed someone who could be a friend and who would listen to Anakin and was less critical and took things more seriously than Obi-wan.

21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yaddle or Yarael Poof. Lol.

22. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Qui-Gon because Anakin pretty much grew up to be like him anyway before he turned. I think Qui-Gon would have been more supportive of his feelings towards Padme and he darn sure would have let Anakin at least visit his mom occasionally. No disrespect to Obi-Wan though but its like others have said he was not ready to take on an apprentice he was too young and inexperienced, there is a quote from the first Hellboy movie that I think describes the Master/Apprentice years very well "There we were, an unready father for an unwanted child." of course after Anakin became a Knight they became best buds

23. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    It's kind of odd they let the individual many of them felt was the chosen one be trained by such a young and inexperienced Jedi. Seems like it would have been smart to have him receive training from various top masters then be assigned to a permanent master later on. it's like some refused to accept the gravity of the situation even though they believed he was likely the chosen one. Too much arrogance I suppose.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While I agree with your post, StarKiller81, I disagree with your conclusion as to why. I think in-universe they felt they had to honor Obi-Wan's promise to a dying man (though they should have probably offered more support - presumption, since we see none of those years) more than it was arrogance. Out of universe, they had to match the OT.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think the turning point is the events that happen to Anakin's mother, would Anakin have felt differently had he known his mother was safe when he left Tatooine? I just get the feeling that always at the back of his mind is his concern that Shmi isn't free and safe and this hangs over him for the 10 years prior to AOTC. It allows Palpatine a way in to Anakin's soul and gives Palps a ready supply of ammunition against the Jedi, he can tell Anakin the Jedi are weak or they don't really care.

So to that effect I think the only Jedi who could've trained Anakin was Qui-Gon, who would've been more likely to have gone against the council's rules and realising Anakin's anxiety couldn't be relieved with training or will power, and worked out a way of securing Shmi's safety.

Gamiel likes this.