main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who should have trained Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 25, 2015.

1. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I think Obi-Wan's problems as a teacher (at that time) was that he was too inexperienced and a bit too rigid in his thinking. I find it interesting that despite having a more flexible thinker like Qui-Gon as a teacher for over a decade, Obi-Wan still clung to his more traditional way of thinking. It took another 19 years - more or less - of teaching from Qui-Gon's ghost for Obi-Wan to learn to be more flexible . . . and more suited as a teacher for Luke.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  2. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I don't think it would have mattered who trained Anakin. He was too flawed.

zompusbite likes this.
  3. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    To me, they're all flawed. And I don't think Anakin was "doomed" to become a Sith Lord. I believe that no one "is doomed" or fated for one particular path. Also, I cannot help but wonder if the Prequel movies had been made before the Original movies, people would think that way about Anakin.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Palpatine, if he had been allowed to train Anakin from the start so would he not be the failure of a sith lord that he was.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, but he chose to become one. His fall was not the Jedi's fault.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO the focus on why and how Anakin turned to the Darkside is more on the Sith side of things. The fact that Palpatine/Sidious spent Anakin's entire childhood seducing him to accept the Darkside is IMO one of the main things that shaped who Anakin became by the events of ROTS. I feel that if Anakin had been close like that with someone from the Jedi order, he likely would not have turned to the Darkside but rather reached his potential as a Jedi Master. I believe his turn was the Sith's doing. Much like the way that who a child becomes is very much connected to their family life, and how their parents were with them while growing up.

This was all part of Sidious' plan.

"Your guidance, more than my patience." "He was decieved by a lie, we all were!"

You know, kind of in that vein...

enigmaticjedi and Gamiel like this.
  7. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I'm not arguing against that. Even though the Jedi's handling of Anakin was flawed, he made the final decisions regarding his life. I'm arguing against the belief that Anakin was "destined" to become a Sith Lord.

If Anakin had originally been portrayed as some kind of juvenile delinquent who became a Sith Lord, would this recent attitude toward him been so hostile? Is the idea that he started out as a decent kid who eventually gave in to evil very hard to accept?

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree with all of this.

I would also add that Qui-Gon was more of a father figure to Anakin and would have instilled more discipline in him. Over many years that father/son bond would have been nurtured, and Anakin would have come to trust and yield to Qui-Gon's judgement in times of crisis.

Obi-Wan was more of an older brother to Anakin, which resulted in a rivalry developing between them rather than a trusting mentor/mentee relationship. Which isn't exactly Obi-Wan's fault, as it was too soon for him to take up an apprentice, he was not able to develop the wisdom and maturity of a seasoned Jedi who could then depart that knowledge to somebody else, and only took Anakin under his wing to fulfill Qui-Gon's wishes.

9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Qui-Gon was the perfect teacher for Anakin. But since that option is dead, then probably Obi-Wan has been the second best choice in the order since many of them, including Yoda, don't want to train him as a Jedi in the first place.

It was almost impossible to stop Anakin's dark side temptation after Qui-Gon's death in my opinion. Since Anakin isn't very stable and there isn't any good teacher at that moment.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If the Jedi wanted a comedy: Mace Windu should have trained Anakin, would have been hilarious.

11. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

"She went inside the club, master!"
    "How many times do I have to tell you to bring your mother****ing lightsaber!"
    "W-what?"
    "Galactic Basic Standard, mother****er! Do you speak it?"

enigmaticjedi and Darkslayer like this.
  12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Obi Wan .. and only Obi wan. I had the impression that Obi wan was a rogue teacher who sort of picked up an older Anakin somewhere along the line and took it upon himself to train him as well as Yoda would - and obviously buggered that up. Ah .. what I would give for anyone to write an alternative prequel series wihtout the schtick of the PT.. (having someone make new films is beyond hoping for)

13. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Kit Fisto.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    People there are other S. L. Jackson movies to quote from.

15. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

And I chose that one.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Pleas chose a different one next time, I am just tiered of people never* using any other SLJ quote.

* I admit that I am exaggerating a bit.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_rofl]

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    “I've had it with these mother****ing Siths on this mother****ing planet! Blow open the window, Anakin, we're ending this ****er”

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Miss-quoted from Unbreakable

Mace Windu: Why is it, do you think, that of all the professions in the world you chose protection?
    Anakin Skywalker: You are a very strange man.
    Mace Windu: You could have been a ace pilot. You could have owned your own workshop. You could have opened a chain of restaurants. You could've done of ten thousand things, but in the end, you chose to protect people. *You* made that decision, and I find that very, very interesting.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Although his teacher would have been qui Gon except for the death part.

21. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    If Qui Gon had not passed, then a combination of him and Obi Wan.

Given what happened in TPM, then if Anakin was accepted into the Jedi Order and given him being deemed the Chosen One, then a combination of Jedi:

Obi Wan as a day to day mentor and his official Master.
    Yoda to help him control his attachment (given Anakin is starting late) and teach him true patience.
    Mace in swordplay and utilizing his emotion/rage in the right way and how to decide on how to be a Jedi of action.
    Shaak Ti on mediation techniques.

On top of that, in terms of protecting Padme, the Jedi Council should have dispatched both Obi Wan and Anakin to investigate Jango Fett. It should have assigned another Master and apprentice to protect the Senator - possibly a Council member - e.g. Shaak Ti, Adia Gallia or Aayla Secura.

22. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    But there were things he did different. One being that he told Obi-wan to focus on the here and now. To which Obi-wan said but master Yoda told me to be mindful of the future.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Padme! :cool: That boy would've done anything that girl said. And since she's the one who actually figured out who was trying to kill her in AOTC, (Yoda and Mace sure botched THAT one up!) I'd say she would've made a badass Jedi.

mes520 and Andy Wylde like this.
  24. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Mr. Miyagi perhaps? Maybe Mickey Goldmill?

25. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Anakin probably should've been given to process in the temple normally and not trained by Obi-Wan or Qui Gonn like all the other younglings do. There is no chance of him encountering Padme again or falling in love with her. He also gets a proper master with experience to train him and be able to resist the dark side.

Palpatine would simply find someone else anyway and kill the all with Order 66 as it was.