main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who should play the role of Darth Vader?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by JayFank, Jun 26, 2002.

?

Who should play the role of Darth Vader?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Hayden Christiansen

86.5%
  2. David Prowse

13.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Neither of them should play him. Hayden is a little too short and a too scrawny.
    David Prowse is not what he once was. Hey, Robin and George might give him the part. But something tells me the part will go to a dude who is tall and has the size overall to mirror the Vader character we saw in the original trilogy.

2. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Seeing as everyone is saying Hayden is too small and Prowse isn't in shape, how about Vin Diesel playing Vader. He's obviously got the size for the part. :p

It really should be Hayden. Ep III takes place like 20 years before ANH, so I'm sure Vader would grow some in that time.

3. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Why are people still misspelling Anakin? It really isn't that difficult. And its been spelled that way since ROTJ. Catch up, people!

4. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    When Hayden was preparing for his role in Life as a House he was told to lose 25 pounds. He did this by going on a salad, water, and vitamin diet for three weeks. He said he was in a lot of pain, but he did it because that was his job. If George has told him to bulk up for the Vader part then Hayden will do that because it's his job. And, what's so short about being almost 6'2"? He deserves to be Vader because he's Anakin.

5. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hayden all the way! He blew my socks off in the Tatooine sequence of AOTC! And his dedication to his craft is nothing but admirable - just check out the Insider interview. This guys is serious!

For the sake of whatever's left of his own dignity - Prowse should let a sleeping dog lie. And it might be a good idea to praise other people's work from time to time, as well. Not just go on about how much people love you and how everything is so bad now that you're not there anymore. It's pathetic...

And how come people never stop talking about Hayden's size like it is a problem?

Ian McKellen and Ian Holm are about the same height. Did Gandalf and Bilbo seem to be the same height in Lord of the Rings? My point is that it's a film, and the height of an actor means nothing. It's not like Stallone is as tall as he seems in his films, is it?

6. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Good point Adali-Kiri!!! I vote Hayden too. He's an amazing actor, he was so intense in AOTC!!! If someone can pull Ep.III off, it's him. All the way.

7. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    the thought of Hayden in that big, strong, dark, manly suit makes me lightheaded. I think you know who my vote went too. ;)

8. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think it matters much, as long as they fit the suit. Whoever it is is only going to be in the full Vader suit for the last five minutes or so of the movie anyway.

9. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, for all folk worried about heights, I found something rather interesting. Now, I'm not totally sure on this, but I believe Ewan McGregor is about 5'-10" at maximum. In the scene where Ewan is talking to Jango, you can clearly see that Ewan, as Obi-Wan, is taller than Jango by a couple of inches. On the Official site, It says Fett, Clonetroopers, and Stormtroopers are all something like 1.82 meters which is 6 foot tall. Now, going back to the relative height thing, Jango, since he's the origin of the Clones, is most likely 6 foot or around that height. That means Obi-Wan is probably like 6'4" even though Ewan is 5'10". Now, when you see Hayden, he is definately taller than Ewan...not by much, but going by the relative height thing, and also considering the spirit forms of ObiWan and Anakin at the end of RotJ, the heights really even out.

If some of that didn't make any sense, just apply some Calculas to it and take Entropy into account. Err...

Isurus

10. JayFank

JayFank Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
  11. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I've met Mr. Prowse back in 1992 Chicago Comic Convention. Before the big "Star Wars" revival, he had a folding table with a stack of his pictures and absolutely NOBODY at his table.

Because of this- I got to have a chance to talk to him about Peter Sellers and other film work he was in. He really enjoyed working Star Wars, but was deeply hurt when another actor was used in the unmasking of Vader.

He had always assumed that he would get the recognition that he was denied by wearing the mask of Vader. Lucas had originally not given Prowse credit for BEING Darth Vader.

But on the OTHER hand-Prowse was also known to tell reporters stuff that Lucas wanted to keep secret until the movie was out. Since that scene involved the answer to weather or not Vader was Lukes father-George decided to replace him with a 84 year old man, and not tell him about it until AFTER the filming.

Mr. Prowse feels, and rightfully so, that he contributed as much to Darth Vaders personality as David Prowse voice did. So much so, that Hayden is trying to match that certian way of moving. You can tell when somebody other than David Prowse is in the costume. Just like you could tell that C3PO had a different manipulater in TPM. When Peter Mayhew got sick, Kersher tried to replace him for the two days he got sick. He realized that ONLY peter could act like Chewbacca.

However since David Prowse was using a cain the last event I saw him at-I'm not sure he can still pull it off. However a nice cameo might be in order.

12. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I hope Dave gets it.

Prowse= Vader
    Hayden= Anakin
    Two seperate characters

I don't see why his whining and carrying on should be a reason to stop him. At least he likes SW; all Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness did was trash it [face_plain]

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Hayden will play Darth Vader outside of the suit. But only out of the suit.

Why?

Hayden is really too small. Now the adding of techical parts and enhancements will take care of the actual size difference in the film. But in reality, Lucas needs someone larger to get into the suit. Hayden simply cannot possibly in two years grow a few inches and really bulk up. Not possible.

But if Prowse truly wants to play him, then he's going to have to prove he really wants to. After his surgery, he'll really need to diet. He'll have to lose a good 50 to 60 pounds. It can be done much easier though in two years than Hayden can bulk up. Truly.

If Prowse loses enough weight then Lucas should give him the part. If he loses the weight and Lucas still doesn't give him the part then I say screw Lucas. Even with hip surgery, Prowse could probably film a few scenes, even if it involves kneeling.

But if Lucas doesn't give prowse the part then it should go to the guy who played vader in the SE pick up shots.

It's just that simple people.

14. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Hayden, Prowse...they both will do fine for me, but for old time sakes it would be great to have Prowse back, I don't care how grumpy and cripple he is :)...

15. There_IS_no_Conflict

There_IS_no_Conflict Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    It's time to move on, Hayden has earned it.
    And for realism shakes it realy should be the sa me person Anakin and Vader. I like it better that Vader in Episode 3 looks more like Anakin than Vader in episode 4, which is many years after.
    Prowse was good but its Hayden's time now.

16. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Good point. Time to move on.

Prowse did a job, got paid and credited. Lucas doesn't owe him anything, and it's silly to say Lucas will be an ****hole if he doesn't hire a properly fit Prowse for Episode III. If anything, Hayden has earned his go at it. There are only sentimental reasons for putting Prowse back in that suite. I don't agree that Lucas should do that just to make Prowse happy.

And boy...2 or 3 posts after my last post someone again says "Hayden is not tall enough, he can't grow a few inches for Episode III, blabla...".

Why is it so hard to get the point of the following ---

Are Ian McKellen and Ian Holm and Elijah Wood about the same height? Yes.
    Are Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo about the same height in the film? No.

Can we please stop talking about a non-issue?

<EDIT: swearing [face_plain]>

17. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I think Hayden should. I dont expect Vader to be his OT size in Ep3 anyway, not as tall and thinner.

18. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    David Prowse is in no condition to play Vader. Plus, after his comments about James Earl Jones and the casting of Sebastian Shaw, if I were in Lucas's shoes I wouldn't bring him back either.

19. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Hayden deserves it. I'm not worried about his size... Vader doesn't need to look exactly how he did in the OT. Plus it would be interesting to see him where a different prototype. That would kinda suck if Vader was stuck in the same armor for over 20 years. Plus, Hayden's shaping up for III. That's what I love about Hayden, he really takes his roles seriously. He IS the Anakin Skywalker, IMO. Oh, and Lucas could always use padding for Hayden to look bigger. ;)

20. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Oh, good - I got edited. I'll write ****hole next time, so nobody knows what I'm saying... [face_plain]
    Thought the word wasn't forbidden, as long as you don't call anybody one...

21. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    What about the guy who put the suit on briefly in TESB special edition? He looked pretty convincing to me too- though for all we seen of him. But i'm still backing Hayden. :)

22. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    The person who said that Hayden did not know what it was like to play Vader obviously has NOT seen AOTC yet.

23. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I could care less who plays Vader. As long as they get the walk down it doesn't really matter. Hayden hasn't earned anything. He did a fair job in AOTC. Don't bash Prowse though. If anyone has earned the chance to wear the mask it's him.

As long as James Earl Jones does the voice, I don't care whose in the suit.

24. JediLeia72

JediLeia72 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I, too, think that Hayden has earned the right to wear the suit. Prowse may have begun it (and we'll never forget that), but Hayden has really developed the character in the build-up to this change and should be the one to continue it. He won't need to be the complete size of Prowse. As has been posted, Vader shouldn't be quite as big as the OT because he's still fairly young and not as much machine as he later becomes (which could account for part of the size). Also, that post about the size thing in LOTR could also be true here. Hayden can fill the suit enough to make it easy for the effects dept to make any adjustments. Vader needs to be limber enough for fighting movement that we know Hayden can do well. He also has the stance and movement down - there were several times in AOTC that I KNEW I was looking at Vader by the way he carried himself. As I've seen on here, the most important aspect for Vader is having James Earl as the voice! No other substitute will do!! ;)

25. David_Blue

David_Blue Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Dave Prowse does have fans, and I'm one of them. I won't boycott Episode III if he's not the man in black, but I would probably see the movie once instead of several times.

In my opinion, the real Darth Vader should be played by Dave Prowse doing the physical acting and James Earl Jones doing the voice. Both are important. If you put in a substitute for either, it's not quite the real thing.

If you agree Darth Vader should still be voiced by James Earl Jones, I hope that will help you understand that I feel the same way about the physical acting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.