main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who should write/direct the live-action series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheWookiee, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Well they are going to have a pilot episode for the Star Wars Live Action TV Series eventually so we are just speculating on who could write/direct it.

2. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    whoever's been screenwriting for the battlestar gallactica stuff would be god. Or perhaps the 24 team? Or is it new blood time!!

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    We want it to be light still. ESB is lighter than BSG and that's saying alot. I love BSG and 24 but I just don't see LFL taking that route.

4. RogueX

RogueX Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2005
    I would like to see Ronald D. Moore write, and Michael Rymer to direct an episode of the live-action show. /prays prays prays

5. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Tim Minear. He has nothing else to do until someone greenlights the Spike movie and hewrokes great with others' material. Only thing is he cant pronounce Boba Fett, lol.

6. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    Isn't Lucas writing and directing the first season himself?

Whedon is writing Astonishing X-Men and writing/directing the upcomming Wonder Woman movie. Not to mention he already created his own sci-fi show. His style doesn't really lend itself to SW anyhow.

R. Moore is hoping BSG continues to be a hit.

Why not Rick McCallum...he's established as a producer and this could be his big break into directing...not to mention he'd be true to the source.

Also, TV shows are writen and directed by many people...most likely we'll get a bunch of no names and the occasional "guest writer, guest director" if we're lucky.

7. hyouriittai

hyouriittai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    I agree with the Whedon statement; that the series is going to be premiering on the WB already smells of teen-fantasy ala (edit)Buffy(/edit). Penny Arcade probably sums up my fears the best.

(Edit2) Though I never saw Firefly, I did enjoy Serenity. The characters had alot of comical querks that I would expect of a Star Wars TV series, so I guess it isn't that far beyond Whedon's grasp as I'd initially thought. (/Edit2)

I'd really like to see writers, at least as consultants, who were involved with Star Wars before, perferrably EU authors. When I went to see Timothy Zahn speak, someone asked about whether or not he were to be involved with a TV series. He, of course, said he hasn't heard anything yet, but he did say that it would be an opportunity that he would be happy to consider -- so my wish isn't that unrealistic. However, we gotta consider that these authors deal with a completely different medium, so their possible involvement could yield some undesired outcomes. Who knows?

8. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    I agree that the humor could work...but, Whedon is known for his "true to life" dialoge. Most of his writing is very contemporary sounding and almost "chessey" That's what is great about it. I don't think his style would make the TV show feel like Star Wars. His writing is full of comedic teen angst. I'd love to see his take but, I just think his style is too original and quirky to work. Whedon shows feel like Whedon shows. I think this could be detrimental to the Star Wars "feel"

9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I think the BSG team would be better for a Star Wars show than Whedon, no matter how much I liked Firefly. But I don't think either will show up.

Honestly, I think the team who would be best for the SW show would eb the wristers/directors of Farscape, especially the early episodes. When I watched the first season over the summer I was struck at how Star Wars-y it felt.

10. Monopoker

Monopoker Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2006
    I just had a thought: Tarantino:
    "BASIC ************ DO YOU SPEAK IT?"
    hahahahahahahaha

11. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Joss Whedon needs to stay as far away from the series as possible.

My picks would be:
    JMS
    Peter David
    Ronald D. Moore
    Lawrence Miles
    Lance Parkin
    Russell T. Davies
    George R. R. Martin(wouldn't that be fun! :p)

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Someone who has a penchant for telling good stories. Like the guy who did Babylon 5. Not only can he write and produce a tv show, but also books and comic books.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think it should be someone who really knows what Star Wars should be like. Even Lucas had some musguided approaches to it now. It must be someone who looks at the first Star Wars and gives it that same feeling of adventure that the prequels somewhat lacked, although I still loved them anyway. None of the directors' works of sci-fi that we witness now have that same vision. Babylon 5 who? Even Star Trek visionaries are too sophisticated for something as Star Wars. No, Star Wars is suppose to be a simple, suspenseful, exciting adventure, and nothing more. Having any veteran sci-fi director with their own ideas will only conflict with Lucas' and ruin what is now in films. I think Kevin Smith would do a decent job, but knowing a director like him, it might be possible he would throw in curve balls every once in a while. What I mean is, ideas that would not have been envisioned, or liked and accepted by the hardcore fans, or even the average fan of Star Wars for that matter.

14. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    JMS
    Joss Wheadon
    Paul Dini

And Berman and Braga better be kept well-away from it. Look how badly they treated the Star Trek franchise.

I kind of think that Kevin Smith would be kind of fun, but only one or two episodes. Every Sci-Fi TV series needs a "joke" episode or two. It's tradition dating back to the original Star Trek series.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Anyone so long as they grasp the philosophies and mythologies presented in the movies.
    SW is more than just whizzing ships and shooting and the show needs to have that.

16. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Agree I do. And though I am glad that Spielberg never directed a SW film, as his style is too idiosyncratic, I think he could work well for a TV episode or 2.

17. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    It would be really cool to see Speilberg direct an episode or two for the TV Series but unfortunately I don't think it will happen.

18. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    I thought I read somewhere that he was going to do that...oh well.

I agree that Ronald D. Moore, Joss Whedon and Tim Minear should definitely get involved with the new series somehow.

19. Troopsguy

Troopsguy Writer (TCW): Bombad Jedi -TROOPS, Tag & Bink star 1 VIP

Mar 19, 1999
    *cough* (raises hand) *cough*

20. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

eah guys seriously take a look at the Firefly episode "Out of Gas" and you will see Minear's potential.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Actually, I would like to see you direct an episode or two! Troops was awsome, and that comic you did some years back - a Death Star is born I believe it was called - is hilarious!

I'd love to see Joss Whedon make this series. Buffy and Angel were entertaining at best, but Firefly is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen! And Serenity was equally good.

22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, it would be interesting if Lucas decided to throw a couple of Guest director bones at Kirshner, Spielberg and Howard.

Aferall Kersh directed ESB and Lucas really wanted Steve and Ron to direct parts of the Prequels.

23. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Tales from the Crypt has some name directors collaborating. Maybe GL can bring in some for STTV. He can also bring in directors from Young Indy, if they are still working.

24. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

Thing is they were all sepearte stories in "tales" they'd have to work with an ongoing storyline so I am not dure Spielberg or Howard would do it. I do think kershner would be a real possibility.

25. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    I think George should oversee the pilot by being on set but not directing. Possibly co-directing. The thing is, it's his product and he needs to be there to see that they're treating it in the way he wants. Maybe he'll pen an episode every once in a while, or maybe not. A permanent position on the series for him could be executive producer or story editor or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.