main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who should write the first post-NJO book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ron corless, Nov 11, 2001.

?

Who should write the first post-NJO book?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Aaron Allston

7.1%
  2. Troy Denning

14.3%
  3. James Luceno

7.1%
  4. Michael Reaves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Timothy Zahn

38.1%
  6. Kathy Tyers

4.8%
  7. R.A. Salvatore

7.1%
  8. Michael A.Stackpole

21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
  2. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Stackpole like a mo****er!!

3. dengofett

dengofett Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    RAS Shinagamiwing...........and then we can learn.....

4. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    I am looking forward to post-NJO books now more than NJO itself because I wonder what the GFFA and the Republic and the Jedi are
    going to face next after the Yuzzhan Vong war.

I have a list of few perfect author candidates.

1.Aaron Allston:He gave an excellent point in
    an interview that after the vong stories are
    finished. The SW universe should go in different directions and focus on the explorations of the galaxy and the inner workings of the Force and the heroes can dig
    up mysteries buried since Palpatine came to power.

2.Troy Denning:I really loved Star by Star.
    It had lots of action and lots of space battles and lightsaber duels and he said in
    an interview in the SW insider that he would love to write a future novel in the SW universe.

3.Michael Reaves:His Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter
    book was pretty good and I read in an interview that he would love to do more SW
    books and that he pitched an idea to Skywalker Ranch about a SW multi-book series.
    Could it be a post-NJO series?

4.James Luceno:I really loved his Agents of
    Chaos books. It had some really good space
    battles in them. And I read in an interview
    that he is in negotations to write another
    SW book.

5.Timothy Zahn:He's my favorite SW author ever. His Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn
    duology are the kings of SW literature. He
    gives good descriptions of space battles,
    alien worlds,ships jumping into hyperspace
    etc. I know that Zahn isn't doing any more
    SW books. But I do hope he writes the final
    NJO hardcover. Interesting though he said at
    a recent convention(I think it was Comic-con)
    that he would love to write about Ben Skywalker. Does that mean we may see a post-NJO book from Zahn? Time will tell.

5. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I voted for Kathy Tyers. What can I say? I really liked Balance Point.

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Although I chose MAS in the poll, any one of these authors could very well handle the task of taking on the introductory novel to a post NJO series. Ahh, so many great writers... there's really know way the book could be bad with anyone of these authors at the helm.

7. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    I voted for Denning only because you left out Keyes.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    None of the Above

9. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I agree with Mastadge. Who I would like to see finishing the series is Alan Dean Foster. LOVE his style, and if the NJO is to be the final (chronological) SW story arc, it would be fitting for him to finish it, as he began it all in 1976.

I wouldn't like to see any of the previous NJO authors take up the task. That would break the pattern, unless it was Salvatore (finishing what he bgean). Sadly, due to unfair fan prejudice against him, it is unlikely Del Rey would bring Salvatore back to the NJO, for fear of people boycotting the book.

Don't want to see Zahn, either. I enjoy his books, but he is a bit limited in scope. That's the complete opposite of what the NJO needs, especially for a finale. Which had better be PRETTY grand!

Who else would like to see the Vong taking over the galaxy, and the Solo babies and the other New Jedi fighting back in a rebellion reminiscent of their parents' efforts in the days of the Empire?

10. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Zahn or Salvatore would be my choices. And in a close call I pick Zahn.

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I think for the first post-NJO book we should get somebody new, and especially NOT one of the guys who's already written 5+ SW books. If any of the guys on that list, I'd have to say either Jim Luceno or Troy Denning.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No, one.

I'd rather they leave the post era on a good note. Then start creating between ep 3 and 4 series instead.

13. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I'd like to see books set in times WAY past... perhaps even before the TOTJ septuplet.

14. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Zahn kicked off the original series of Star Wars books with the Thrawn Trilogy; why not have him kick of the next series of books? He does an excellent job of writing SW and the characters, in a way none of the others have been able to IMO.

15. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    James Luceno... he has a great knowledge of the EU.

Actually, you know how Stackpole and Zahn used to team up... I would LOVE to see Luceno and Denning team up for a Star Wars novel.

16. jedi_lincoln

jedi_lincoln Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2001
    oh man, Michael A. Stackpole all the way. The way he did the X-wing series and the battle sequences....just amazing! And if you think that space dogfights are all he can do--you're wrong! Read I, Jedi. The way Corran takes on the pirates....just awesome!

17. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Probably James Luceno. If not him, Michael Reaves.

18. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I'd like to see someone new.

19. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    None of the Above

Assuming that we will see a post NJO series I'd rather not see it started by any of these authors.

1) Aaron Allston could write a good book I'd like to read. However for a broad kickoff novel I don't know that he's the best.

2) Troy Denning I don't believe should be allowed anywhere near a SW project, or at least any novels.

3) James Luceno is the only other semi acceptable choice for me besides Aaron Allston.

4) Michael Reaves is the last of the new DR SW authors I want coming back to do any sort of project.

5) Tim Zahn, in a word: no. If it's a start of a series it needs a team player for the first writer. Zahn is not that.

6) Kathy Tyers could do an okay job I think. Not spectacular but ok.

7) R. A. Salvatore I really can't decide on this particular topic/project if he would be the best.

8) Mike Stackpole, basically unless he grows a lot more guts as a writer, with his characters he's not needed in the EU.

Those are some of my reasons for saying none of the above.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Not Zahn: Why? First, he over-politicized the galaxy in the first place which drove events in a dedade's worth of Star Wars novels that we saw come to their logical conclusion in Star by Star. Second, he also created the idea that the New Republic was never organized and had almost no war fleets to speak of, again something that has lasted up to now.

As for all the others, I would either say Denning or Salvatore, mainly because the others are not empire builders, except for maybe Stackpole, (note that is small 'e' empire and not big 'E' Empire), and since the first series of novels are going to be a sort of reconstruction and figuring out what goes where, especially when it comes to loyalties and how, if any, sectioning up of the galaxy, will go.

21. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Not Zahn: Why? First, he over-politicized the galaxy in the first place which drove events in a dedade's worth of Star Wars novels that we saw come to their logical conclusion in Star by Star. Second, he also created the idea that the New Republic was never organized and had almost no war fleets to speak of, again something that has lasted up to now.

As for all the others, I would either say Denning or Salvatore, mainly because the others are not empire builders, except for maybe Stackpole, (note that is small 'e' empire and not big 'E' Empire), and since the first series of novels are going to be a sort of reconstruction and figuring out what goes where, especially when it comes to loyalties and how, if any, sectioning up of the galaxy, will go.

22. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.