main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who should write the novelisation of episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Arrian, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Matthew Woodring Stover.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Of the existing authors, Stover is an obvious pick given how much he enhanced RotS's plot. Zahn does well on his own work, but I don't think he would handle an adaptation as well. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing how Sean Williams would go with it either. His solo writing over the last few series has been quite good.

Outside existing authors, the fanboy choice would be Brandon Sanderson. While he is more a fantasy writer than SF, Brooks was too, and he did a great job. And he can structure a story and narrative very well as Elantris shows.

3. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    It's got to be either Matthew Stover or James Luceno. The best SW authors.

4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Matthew Stover or perhaps James Luceno.

I'm noticing a trend here...

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    How about George R. R. Martin? As with HBO, maybe the prospect of an impending release date will speed him the **** up.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Would like to see what Paul S. Kemp would bring to it.

Just to piss some of you off: Troy Denning

7. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Who else thinks Timothy Zahn should write the EVII novelization?

My second choice: Matt Stover.

Third: John Jackson Miller.

Any other ideas?

8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I have nothing against Timothy Zhan, the first book of his I read was Allegiance and I loved it, I also enjoyed the TT too, but why do people treat him as if he was the God of all Star Wars books? I mean I'd include him on my list to do the novelization of Ep VII, but a slam dunk/number one choice, I don't think so.

James Luceno
    Matt Stover
    Troy Denning
    Aaron Allston
    Timothy Zahn
    Drew Karpyshyn

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think it depends on the what the plot is, but there are number of SW writers who could be good. Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston, James Luceno, Matthew Stover, Michael Stackpole, just to name a few.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Luceno & Stackpole are good too.

I just thought it would be a nice gesture to Zahn for getting the second-gen SW kick-started back in '92.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Timothy Zahn, Matthew Stover, Michael Stackpole or Aaron Allston. Everyone else simply sucks at writing Star Wars.

12. Frank Zubek

Frank Zubek Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm looking forward to reading it no matter who writes it
    Though as a personal preference it'd be nice if they would release the book at least a few days before the film opens so that the literary few of us who enjoy reading novelizations can have a chance to read the book before opening day

I can appreciate that they want to avoid spoilers but these days most films and their secrets are leaked despite a studios best efforts anyway

Besides... with the few thousands of literate fans out there hungry to read the book ( of the film) it would add to the buzz wouldn't you think?

13. Frank Zubek

Frank Zubek Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    And here is the real question....
    How many of you read the plot of a new story arc and then despite the fact one of the authors you don't like wrote one of the books with in that arc. Don't you read it anyway? And if you answer yes to that question, does it really matter - I feel its more important for me to simply read the story no matter who wrote it

IF a writer I happen to like writes a book who's plot sounds interesting that's icing on the cake for me

Again, my concern is that there is a decent portion of fans who enjoy reading the novelization of a film before seeing it and yet they want to still enjoy the film that weekend along with the rest of their buddies. My concern is that Disney WILL of course invest money into a writer and the printing of the book ( as well as a YA version and illustrated version and coloring books etc) but none of it will get released until the day of the release of the film

When that happens I think any studio ( not just Disney) loses a portion of potential cash from this policy
    .And while I understand their hesitance in avoiding spoilers.... there are so many MORE fans of film out there than there are fans who are rabid about reading the book first and this thing will make hundreds of millions of dollars opening week very easily- so why not keep that smaller portion of book lovers happy by releasing the book three days early? Like say, Tuesday when book normally get released? That's only 3 days before the midnight opening and after that any news of spoiler material will slam into the social media no matter what while the book lovers are still reading the book

Its been discouraging for me that this has been happening more often. And while a few films DO release a book a few weeks early it's usually a book based on a much smaller film that doesn't have as much at risk as a big budgeted blockbuster such as Star Was VII

Still.... I'm hoping for a compromise of some sort
    Anyway those are my thoughts

14. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Michael Chabon!!

Actually, he would probably do it!!

15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    How about a newcomer? I'll vote for Jim Butcher then.

He's a very successful writer in his own right, a big SW fan and wrote a Spiderman novel, too.
    Of course, I simply like him :)

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I like it. And then get Jonathan Lethem for Episode VIII.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  17. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Stover. A thousand times Stover.

The guys' other fiction (You should read it: HEROES DIE, BLADE OF TYSHALL, CAINE BLACK KNIFE and CAINE'S LAW) is glorious and his SW books are always the best ones in the entire EU.

Oh and I'll second NaTaLie's vote for Butcher...he's one of my all time faves.

18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Cloak of deception is an awesome novel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Walter Jon Williams. It'd basically be Destiny's Way, but less Vong and more ACKBAR.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    J.K. Rowling :p jk

21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Ah, good to meet another fan of the Dresden Files.

22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I read everything he wrote except the Spidey novel. He can write both adventure fantasy and urban fantasy equally well, and he mentioned he had plans for a SciFi series too.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been meaning to get into the Dresden Files myself. I've read a couple chapters of the 1st book and liked it. Need to finish it and move on to the rest of the series

24. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    A sci-fi series? I look forward to it.

Just so you know, I'm half way through Changes and loving it. Can't wait until the fourteenth book comes out this month.

25. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    The Thrawn trilogy was awesome and the most complex and detailed plot of the EU that I read. However, not suited to a novelisation of a film for me.

I though Stover did a sensational job with ROTS developing the story far beyond that if a normal novelisation.