main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who Stayed Spoiler Free?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    In a way I am glad I knew the whole plot before going to see it because I might have had a knee jerk reaction to things like Han's death and Luke only being in the movie at the end.
    Knowing in advance I was prepared and so could appreciate the movie much more. Even knowing the plot outline the way it all plays out is completely different to how you imagine it.

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I left the boards back in April when the Floating Hand was still being debated. I also knew about the Legacy comic being partially the basis for the plot (ie reformed storm trooper, young aspiring female Jedi, Luke's saber and a quest to find him). But even at that time I stopped reading Devon faraci/MSW scene summaries. I then went completely dark on SW. I didn't even watch TV spots. And I'm so happy I did. With attack of the clones I knew every spoiler, read most of the script and was already debating plot points before the movie was released. It was awesome this time around, with so much on the line for the franchise, to watch JJs take with very few preconceived notions. And there were surprises galore. It was an unforgettable experience.

3. Roryrory

Roryrory Jedi Knight

Jul 20, 2013
    100% spoiler free. No trailers, no interviews or articles. Did not post in or read this forum for years. Knew that Harrison, Mark and Carrie were in it but other than that nothing. Tried to "avert my eyes" whenever I saw the merchandise (didn't know any of the character names but knew there was a guy in a mask. Had no idea Rey was a main character.

And it was fabulous. Very hard work but it paid off. I had genuine excitement through the film and when Han and Ben were on the bridge I hoped against hope that Han would save his son (my actual thoughts were "please redeem him - but it's too early in the series it must be about to turn bad").

Loved it. Reason I do this is because I devoured the spoilers for TPM and will forever associate Darth Maul's cool double light sabre with a particular entertainment journalist who was presenting a show about the new movie.

Frank T., solo77 and James T Kirk like this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw the movie again after first seeing it spoiler-free, and I found I missed or couldn't remember a lot. Maybe that comes from being hit with so much new stuff.

5. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    I watched the officially released teasers & trailers and that's it. I don't regard anything which appeared in those to be "spoilers" per se. Seeing Han & Chewie was just a given so it didn't ruin anything for me.

I managed to avoid all of the leaks, speculation, forums etc. It was really hard for me. I wanted so bad to come on here and read some of the posts and see some of the leaked images. But nope - I managed to stay clear and I'm really proud of myself for that.

I actually knew more about Return of the Jedi when I saw it on the day it was released than I did about Ep VII. I remember reading a newspaper review about it the day before RoTJ was released and that revealed some major plot points. Some of the things that were leaked were :

• "Luke rescues Han from Jabba the Hutt"
    • "Han & Leia go on a mission in a jungle planet where they befriend a native race who worships C3PO"
    • "Lando leads an attack on a new Death Star"

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I wish I had. Seriously thinking of setting up camp in the No Spoilers forum for VIII

astinus4 and James T Kirk like this.
  7. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I saw the poster and the trailers. I also heard that ridiculous Darth Jar-Jar theory in the final days. Aside from that, I was completely spoiler-free.

Green Gogol likes this.
  8. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I had so much fun with spoilers and speculation with Revenge of the Sith I had to go back again for this one! I just love discussing theories and ideas! It adds to my enjoyment of the whole thing. I know it's weird, but I feel I need to prepare myself for what will happen, (really only where Star Wars is concerned) especially since JJ was directing and had just come off Into Darkness. It prepared me for most of the aspects people are having problems with (like being too close to ANH). I did stop myself from reading that Seek-and-Find book that had the basic plot, but otherwise I'm ready and waiting for the spoiler train for Episode 8!

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I remained spoiler Free which surprised me a lot.

Frank T. likes this.
  10. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    nothing but trailers and the jar jar theory, but the Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus books feel like spoilers to some extent...

11. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Two of my friends were spoiled with the Han scene at Twitch TV. They were really sad when the scene came tk a conclusion.

12. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    I also stayed spoiler free. I avoided this board for a month before, and avoided all review talk that might contain a spoiler. It was a breeze until December hit. The desire to read up on some things was incredibly strong.

13. Rey Of Light

Rey Of Light Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Spoiler-free here too, though to not expect Han's death after knowing Ford's stance for 30 years made that pretty easily guessed.

14. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    Went in completely spoiler free. Apart from the first international trailer, the only thing I was aware of was that Luke was missing. Achieved that by staying away from these forums for almost an year. And I refused to read any Star Wars related article since about 2 weeks before release.

I was part of the 2SA and the 3NSA threads. My conclusion from those is that it is best to avoid spoilers.

15. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm happy to say I managed to stay spoiler free. The closest spoil was that somebody said "I heard somebody dies". But TBH, I thought it was gonna be Chewie for some reason. Anyway, I don't consider trailers, TV spots & posters spoilers. Those are purposefully put out by the studio to tell you what they want you to know about the movie. Sometimes they say too much, but they can't be considered "spoilers".

I was really pleased at how spoiler free I managed to say. Some woman in the mall said "The guy in Gamestop just spoiled Star Wars for me. He said-" and I jammed my fingers in my ears. [face_laugh]

My brother and sister & me waited for less than 10 minutes before the movie started to actually go inside the theater! The things you have to do these days to avoid spoilers! It's tough!

James T Kirk likes this.
  16. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd like to know who thought it was a good idea to put commercials related to The Force Awakens in front of the movie, especially the one for a video game showing all the characters and scenes with them. This was why I shut my eyes and wore earplugs.
    That's why I sat there with earplugs.
    Maybe the term "spoilers" is just the wrong term for anything that dulls a surprise. For example, seeing Han and Chewie arrive on the Millennium Falcon and saying "Chewie, we're home" ruins the surprise of seeing them show up on screen when the First Order was expected to board the ship, especially if you were to go into this movie not even knowing the cast. I feel spoiled for letting myself know that, however knowing the new cast members allowed me to avoid randomly looking them up on IMDB or Google when seeing them in the other films they've done recently. I'm glad I didn't look up Adam Driver or Andy Serkis.

17. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I watched the trailers. Other than that I was pretty much spoiler free.

18. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Not me. Read all the spoilers

I have a different point of view: Its Star Wars. You're going to see it a hundred times anyway. If Im reading positive stuff...I get even more pumped for the movie. Anything negative...at least I know it going in so then my experience is awesome.

But thats just me...and ONLY with Star Wars. Any other movie I wont even google it

liquidocelot likes this.
  19. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I dont mind being spoiled at all, i stalked "star wars leaks" on reddit a good 2 days before i seen the movie. Spoilers just get me more excited for the movie :). I was super excited when they leaked the rey v ben fight.

20. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I just started watching Rebels and I'm glad I decided not to watch it before seeing the movie (other than the first episode last year, which I couldn't really remember). There are some elements similar to stuff in The Force Awakens, like a lightsaber calling someone, disobedient stormtroopers, and TIE fighters flying around in the sky that were surprising to see.

21. Deathstar03

Deathstar03 Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015
    I was spoiler free - didn't read at any speculation, only knew that the original actors were in the film. Was so shocked and sad that I couldn't focus on the rest of the movie.

But now they got me hooked again. I'm looking at spoilers like crazy for the next film.

James T Kirk likes this.
  22. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    I knew so many spoilers, I couldn't help it, this forum had me hooked. I just had to know about Rey, she was so interesting to me.

I'm not bothered overly about spoilers to begin with. But next movie I'm gonna try and go in mostly spoiler free.

23. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I stayed pretty well spoiler free, but strangely I suspected that Han was going to die from the moment I heard that JJ was doing it.

The first thing I said to one of my closest friends (also a Star Wars fan) when he told me that JJ was doing it was I suspect that JJ was going to kill off one of the original trilogy characters to shock the audience and make the original trilogy characters appear vulnerable. Sadly Han was the obvious candidate so I went into the movie 95% sure that Han was going to die. Then once the bridge scene begun to unfold my worst fears were realized.

I am glad that I got the surprise that Rey was the force sensitive one as going into the movie I thought it was going to be Fin.

24. Galactic Fenix

Galactic Fenix Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    I always figured it was going to be Rey was going to be force sensitive because from the second trailer it seemed to me that she was the main character. Maybe it was the power of the force telling me that. XD I dunno, it might be that I'm a good guesser (no wait, I'm totally not) or more likely just experience at analyzing things as a writer. But I was surprised by the time trailer 2 dropped that people still thought Finn was the main protagonist.

25. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I have to say I'm proud of myself for staying almost totally spoiler-free this time around. With the prequels I knew everything weeks or months in advance. With TFA I watched the trailers, learned the characters' names, and that was that. No rumor mongering, no reading purported plot summaries, no peaks at would-be leaked scripts -- nothing! Hooray for me. O:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.