main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who still prefers WEG D6?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Maximillian-Veers, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    It's been over a decade since WEG lost the license to do the Star Wars RPG, but there is something timeless about the simplicity of the system and the way it keeps the action flowing and cinematic without losing detail, and the expert way in which the Force powers were handled. Looking at D20 & Saga Edition Star Wars rulebooks just leaves me feeling disappointed, like someone already ate all your favorite candy out of an assortment.

Who else here still prefers WEG D6? Who still plays it? I still enjoy playing D6, have made conversions for a ton of the new stuff, and still run games whenever I can. I'm interested to here from other dedicated Star Wars D6 fans and see what they are up to today.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yep.
    I've pounded and harranged the superiority of the D6 system to death here already, but people are going to stick to the system they like.
    Nice to see there are others though. Welcome (back?) to the RPG forum.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I still like it, I just prefer more complexity. It was great for capturing fast paced action. I'd play again given the chance.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Even as it´s a dying system among my people, I prefer it. The "dice-bucket-syndrome" is a problem. But I guess it was never thought to be for high-level characters, anyway. Though, even as d20 has it´s merits, the force-system was good and the wild-dice was a fantastic way to bring cinematic feel to something. The "critical success" of the 20 just isn´t the same, really.

5. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    After spending a load of my cash on D-20 Books for Star Wars up until around about 2006, only to have WotC pull the rug out from underneath me and anounce that they were no longer supporting their D-20 Star Wars System, I got HOT!!!!!! It was then that I decided that I'd had enough of them and their reinventing the wheel SYNDROME. So now I'm rediscovering WEG's D-6 System, using their 2nd edition. It is so much easier to generate PCs! Why did I ever waste my time leaving D-6 for D-20!? I went so far as to head down to the local used book store and got myself an excellent condition 2nd edition (Millenium Falcon on the hard cover, no less) version. I'm a happy camper!!!!! :D I've gotten together with some hard core SW fans who love RPG and we are using the D-6 System like we're old hands at it, TYVM. With the D-20/D-6 conversions available, I don't have any problems using D-20 states for material and such. I've decided that I'll forgoe the possibility of buying Saga Star Wars Books just for Material as I'm well enough equiped with players who pitch in and actually help out with the creative aspects of the RPG atmosphere which I love to enhance with music and sound effects. So no problemmo there during gaming sessions. Hey. What can I say? D-6 Slams the competition hands down! [face_love] =D=

Vangarian out.

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    D6 all the way for me. I never even considered switching to d20 or Saga, it never seemed to pose any advantage.

I like to think I've done my fair share to keep the D6 system alive. Its only disadvantage is the lack of new material, specially prequel-era stuff. So when Gary Astleford stopped supplying his d20 to D6 conversions on The Rebellion, I decided to take it upon myself. Since then I've published 8 compilation books with every single stat on the major topics (aliens, creatures, vehicles, starships, droids, equipment, weapons and Force powers), an Ep2 sourcebook and now I've been publishing conversions for every new Saga book released. This way people can buy the new books, but easily use them for their good old-fashioned D6 games.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Gry, you have probablly been the best source of Prequel & Compilation info I've "met" in any way, shape, or form. Not to mention one of the nicest people on the forum!

I am thrilled to have help in even a little way when you were getting started on your projects.

8. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Gry - Your D6 conversions intrigue me sir! Would you please do me the favor of PMing me some info on how I could get my hands on your work? I'd greatly appreciate it.

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    They can all be found at the Rancor Pit forums:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1229&start=0

Shaman of the Whills likes this.
  10. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I love the old WEG D6 system. But I generally dislike D20 very much so perhaps I am a bit biased.

What I love about the old system is that it gives the player a lot of freedom when creating his character. Let's say a player wants to create a smuggler for a new campaign. With the D20 system I get the impression that he is kind of forced to pick certain skills that are dictated by his Class. With WEG D6 star wars the same player is not as "boxed in" when generating his smuggler. But perhaps I am just getting the wrong idea about how D20 works.

But thing that makes me love WEG D6 is perhaps the Star Wars-feel I get from the game.

11. JediKitty

JediKitty Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 1999
    Me, and my gaming group. :)

We've been playing this campaign since at least 2000. It has survived 4 GMs (we deposed the first one, long story).
    Currently we have 7 players, not counting me, and 12 characters. (counting my Jedi and ex-pro athlete)
    d6 is reasonably easy to run, and flexible enough to keep our outside-the-box thinkers happy.

-though d20 is occasionally handy, when I want to steal something from the PT....

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    thats absurdly long campaign. Kudos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.