Who thought Anakin had terrible pick-up lines?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by T_C_1_4, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    oh course Lando said it better, do you know ow Billy D is? he is one of the best ladies men ever!
  2. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    i thought the line in esb was good from lando's mouth

The fact is, we know Lando is just being flirtatious. It's lighthearted...which is why people wouldn't think too heavily about it.

In that fireplace scene, Anakin looks all anal and stuff (yes, I know--it's because he was feeling emotional turmoil inside) when he says his lines to Padme...making it sound even more painful.

3. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Quote:
    "The entire love story is more contrived and implausible than anything dished out by a second-rate soap opera."

Contrived, that's a judgement call but implausible? No way. It was completly plausible, on both ends. The infatuated kid falling for the older, more sophisticated girl and the young girl falling for the self destructive bad boy in need of emotional support. Implausible? It's textbook. You show me a girl that age who hasn't fallen for a guy like that and I'll show you a lesbian nun.

And Lando was a pimp.
  4. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Lord_Hydronium,

I don't think you can compare Lando's lines with Ani's.

Lando was a player and his line was indicative of his character. If you remember the camera focused on Han after the line was said, and he was covering up his mouth to keep from laughing. The audience was being let known that Lando wasn't to be taken serious with that line.

On the other hand Anakin was to be taken serious in the fireplace scene and it just didn't come out well. It was pretty awful.

5. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Hey, what do you expect from an inexperienced, 20-year old former slave that was raised for all intents and purposes in a a monistary filled with devoties who seem to practice and encourage celibacy (or at least not forming close relationships with others beyond what you need to function as an individual)?

Yes the lines are cheesy, but so are many of the lines in the OT. We just happen to be used to the cheesiness in the OT because we grew up with it and it has become part of mass culture. PT cheesiness has yet to settle upon you and become comfortable. Of course, there are a few lines that I don't think I'll ever stop cringing at! ;) :p
  6. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I thought the lines were okay. Not totally anything that I would say but they were okay. Yes, just okay.

....not like here...where everything is soft and smooth....

I thought that was the best one. I might even use that line one day. ;)
  7. anakin-player Jedi Knight

star 3
    I thought that was the best one. I might even use that line one day.

Are you also going to try Anakin's back touching/stroking technique? I have to admit that the sand line wasn't that bad and might possibly work if it is delivered correctly.
  8. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    [face_laugh]

I love how some of you are now taking pointers from Anakin! :p :D

[face_laugh]
  9. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Lord_Hydronium,

I don't think you can compare Lando's lines with Ani's.

Lando was a player and his line was indicative of his character. If you remember the camera focused on Han after the line was said, and he was covering up his mouth to keep from laughing. The audience was being let known that Lando wasn't to be taken serious with that line.

On the other hand Anakin was to be taken serious in the fireplace scene and it just didn't come out well. It was pretty awful.

Well, as I said, I don't find the fireplace scene to be that bad. I was more comparing Lando's lines to Anakin's intro to Padme. Lando is a player, and says some incredibly corny lines. Anakin's an emotionally immature person trying to make a good impression, and still manages to belt off some really corny lines. In both cases, no one takes them very seriously (Han's eye roll and Padme's dissing). We were expected to laugh at both of them.

But yes, the fireplace and balcony scenes can't really be compared.
  10. T_C_1_4 Jedi Youngling

Han Solo had better pick-up lines in ANH
    Then Anakin did in one :) :p
  11. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Of course, Anakin does have a history of "interesting" pick-up lines...

"Are you an angel?"
  12. T_C_1_4 Jedi Youngling

LOL
    anakin: areyou an angel?
    padme: what?
    anakin: i hear the deep space pilots talk about them, they are he most beutiful things in the galaxy. they live on the moons of Diago, i think
    padme: well you have a strange imagination
  13. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    Come on, the sand line has already become a classic pick-up line. :)

I think the only people who have a problem with it are the ones who mishear it as "Not like you, you're smooth and soft." If Anakin had said that, he definitely would have got a slap!
  14. Akumz_Razor Jedi Master

star 4
    About the fireplace scene...

It seems like everyone here is explaining away all of Anakin's other jack@$$ lines by talking about his inexperience etc (I totally agree BTW).

Someone said that Ani's fireplace 'speach' seemed the least natural of his pick up lines.

I figure that he probably came up with the scar line right after Padme pulled away from the kiss and had been waiting days for the right time to use it.

He probably had that whole speach planned out way ahead of time, and since he had been thinking about exactly what to say and how to say it, of course it would come out sounding forced (you never say the speach the way it sounds in your head).

I can remember a couple of times where I thought I had come up w/ the ultimate line or something, only to sound like a complete idiot when it was finally spoken.
  15. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Can I ask a question to you all and I'm not exempt either.

Can we stop rationalizing what is essentially a terrible line or a bad moment in the movie. There's no loss in pride or anything. I think its ok to admit there are bad spots in any of the SW movies without having to make excuses.

Just my opinion and I hope I don't sound hypocritical. I've just been thinking for a little while now that its better to admit that some things just aren't working and could be better.
  16. Akumz_Razor Jedi Master

star 4
    That's what I said on my first viewing. Many of the lines seemed awkward at first.

But I went to see AOtC again (and again and again), the lines got more natural in my mind. As I listened to them I just sort of figured out where they were coming from.

I'm not trying to rationalize bad lines. In fact I think they're almost ingeniously realistic, one simply has to get inside Anakin's head first.

He's just a regular awakward kid that thinks he's the man (all the Jedi telling him he's the Chosen One can't help, either)
  17. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Razor,

That's just what I was thinking. As the elevator rises, before their first meeting in AotC, Anakin is sweating. He's already pracitcing in his mind, what he's going to say to her. Practiced lines never turn out exactly as planned, and especially if you've been idolizing someone for years and know you are about to meet again. It was sure to be clumsy, given his age and experience.

Also, and I think this bears consideration, Anakin claims he's seen her in his dreams. This isn't necessarily a pick-up line. He's the Chosen One. There's every indication he is capable of having dreams and visions of the future, during his meditations, just as Luke does on Dagobah. One can only wonder what dreams/visions he could have had about Padme before he meets her again in AotC. We will never know since GL decided not to explain Anakin's comment.
  18. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Man, bashers are condescending. Maybe some people who don't hate something about the film aren't making excuses or trying to justify themselves. If the kid talked like James Bond it would have been trite and completly out of character. That's how some of us feel. It's just one opinion.
  19. T_C_1_4 Jedi Youngling

I understand that every SW has its' bad spots, but I think that Anakin's lines could have been written better.
  20. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Sure they're not the best lines, but that isn't really a problem for me. Like I said, all of the SW films had some bad lines, some far worse than others.

Personally, I think the lines that Anakin uses, as forced as they might be at times, fit well with his character. As stated by others, it would have been totally out of character for him to be all smooth with the ladies. (Could you imagine Vader trying to sweet-talk the ladies while on Bespin?) No, smoothness and being a player are the territories of Han and Lando.

Did I have to see AotC a second time before I was used to them? Yes! But that happened with TMP also. The only times that I've noticed that the pick-up lines seemed too much where when I was watching with an audience that would snicker out loud at them. Luckily, that's only happened twice.
  21. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    His lines may be terrible, but they worked on Padme. If she's impressed by those though, i'd rock her world

Padme: My godness, you've grown
    Me: How YOU doin

:cool: ;)
  22. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
  23. PaplooTheory Force Ghost

star 5
    You all need to ask yourselves one thing... did or did not Anakin get to marry Padme? He did... so corny lines can work!

(I'm aware it's a movie... but I've used the sand one. And, yes, it freaking worked. She thought it was "cute and original." Please God don't let her see the movie!)
  24. Polaris_Fett Jedi Knight

star 2
    "I love how some of you are now taking pointers from Anakin!"

LOL! Guys, I hope the Force is with you because you're going to need it! :D

Anakin's pick up lines are gloriously bad! Not that Lucas has ever had the gift of golden dialogue (come on, his talents are elsewhere, people!) but these lines....they just kind of suit Anakin, and what kind of person he is and where he is in his life. They are still awful lines. :)

And really, Anakin could have said anything to Padme and still gotten the same reaction from her, since for whatever reason she does fall in love with him (I'll get back to you on that one...) it's not what he says to her.

Anakin: Padme, if I told you you had a beautiful ripped-body-suit tummy, would you hold it against me?

Padme: Oh, Anakin, I truly *pause* deeply *pause* love you!

:p
  25. T_C_1_4 Jedi Youngling

we are losers for taking pointers frm Anakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.