main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who tipped off Jabba?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Leia73, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote

In the newcanon junior novelization of ROTJ, it was Boba Fett who had told Jabba that "Boussh" definitely wasn't the real one (It had also mentioned that Jabba & company had been waiting for about an hour behind that curtain, to spring the trap.)

Pardon me, but I don't buy that.

Why should Leia impersonate a known bounty hunter? A few questions from somebody who knows "Boussh" or spots a difference in "body language" and her cover is blown. That's a stupid suggestion by the junior novelization, IMHO.

Jabba said (in Huttese subtitled) "This bounty hunter is my kind of scum. Fearless and inventive."

My first impression had been (and remains) that Leia dressed up as a bounty hunter nobody had ever heard of before.

Obi-John Kenobi and Sarge like this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    They must have heard of this bounty hunter, or else why would they even let him/her into Jabba's palace? Seems like a mega security risk to just let some unknown bounty hunter get within walking distance of your crime lord. What if this bounty hunter worked for a rival Hutt who wanted Jabba dead?

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly because a complete unknown wouldn't have a reputation to take advantage of, I would guess.

The newcanon Character Encyclopaedia reference "Boussh"'s EU history - that his armour became available to Leia, because he got into trouble with the Black Sun crime syndicate.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    DARTHLINK

They must have heard of this bounty hunter, or else why would they even let him/her into Jabba's Palace?

Because that particular, unknown bounty hunter was bringing the "mighty Chewbacca" to Jabba to collect the bounty. ;)

Besides, they didn't actually roll out a red carpet as Boussh had to knock out a couple of guys that wouldn't allow access to Jabba.

5. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    That's a fair point. It would be really moronic of Jabba to go, "Hmmm... This mysterious bounty hunter we don't know about has the mighty Chewbacca? Bah! Get them away!!" It'd be more like him to congratulate this bounty hunter and tell the others that they'd best step up their game.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014

I think Jabba found it rather coincidental that Liea (as Bounty Hunter disguise) brought him Han's best pal Chewie. Then there is question, did Jabba even have bounty on Chewie, since it was really Han who owed him the debt (see ANH Special Edition and ROTJ both editions). Bringing Chewie into mix probably made things worse, and the fact that Luke Skywalker offered droids to Jabba, and Jabba probably knew Luke was friend of Han's made it even more likely something was up. Too many friends of Han contacting Jabba or appearing, and so I imagine Jabba being the cunning crime lord he is, knew something fishy was going on.

7. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I always figured Jabba was out partying in the back with a couple of his closest buddies, when he heard the Carbonite block dropping. Then he sent a group of his guys around back to wait while he spied the situation out and decided to make his presence known. I never particularly took it that he was tipped off in advance.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He was, because Jabba and his group are hidden behind the curtain and Threepio's mouth is covered, preventing him from warning Leia.

christophero30 likes this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That little laughing monkey lizard guy tipped them off. Silacious Crumb. [face_laugh]

10. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    There's precious little to laugh about there, I'm afraid. Larry Kasdan's 2nd draft script for ROTJ uses the phrase "fate worse than death" to describe what happened to Leia as a result of her unmasking. :(

11. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Personally, I don't think that Leia getting captured was part of the plan.
    I think that Luke's appearance, and R2-D2 having the hidden lightsaber was more like plan B, or plan C, which perhaps Luke saw the necessity of since he may have seen that as a possible outcome due to the Force.

Nibelung likes this.
  12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think you need to invoke the Force. I think he saw it as a possible outcome because he's smart and he can think logically: If they fail to retrieve Han from the palace and are captured, Jabba will most likely take them all to his favorite execution spot, out in the open, where Luke will have the advantage.

The Force isn't some cheat sheet that you can use at your leisure to predict future events down to the most minute detail. From what we're shown and told in the films, full-blown visions of the future seem to be both relatively rare and fraught with danger. People invoke the "saw it through the Force" explanation far too freely, IMO. The Force doesn't really work like that. Besides that, the explanation short-changes the intelligence and resourcefulness of the characters.

13. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    Indeed. The last time Luke saw something through the Force was in ESB on Degobah, he only vaguely saw his friends on Bespin were in danger. He went to help them and walked straight into a trap set by the Empire. And it's hard to believe his abilities to see through the Force imporoved this much in the year between ESB and ROTJ without training.

14. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Wow. They missed a trick there. They could have had Leia/Boussh pretend to have lost and arm collaring Chewie. It would have been a neat way to totally misdirect the audience.

If we consider the deleted scene from the beginning of ROTJ, Luke is able to sense Vader beseeching him from across the galaxy. It's not seeing, exactly, but it is a remarkable ability hes no shown to have in ESB.

Nibelung likes this.
  15. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

He was always a shifty little critter.

16. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    No longer canon, but in Heir to the Empire, it was revealed that Mara Jade had infiltrated Jabba's court as one of his dancers, with orders from Palpatine to assassinate Luke.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Heck, in the old EU there were like fourteen separate plots to assassinate Jabba in place during the time of ROTJ. (Though that's actually believable given that he was a galactic-level underworld figure).

18. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    This was actually an idea Zahn recycled from early brainstorming for ROTJ, where Leia would infiltrate Jabba's palace as a hired dancing girl. (Just one of the ways Zahn sets up Mara as a surrogate sister figure for Luke. Take that as you will.)

I believe it was Marquand who suggested that Leia should arrive as a bounty hunter and be unmasked by Jabba. Given the implications of this (which Kasdan's second draft made very clear), this may be one of the reasons Carrie Fisher thought Marquand was sexist & hated working with him.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Pretty much summed up my view. Jabba is a criminal genius in the EU. We don't really see that in the films, especially TPM. Lol.

Leia was adamant about plucking Han from Jabba's place. By this time, Luke had become more patient.

20. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    To be precise, Luke learned patience at the point of a sword. And Leia had to do the same... from a certain point of view.

21. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Oh definitely. A guy like Jabba is BOUND to have loads of enemies wanting to pop him for one reason or another. You don't get to his position of one of the most feared crime lords of the Outer Rim by NOT tossing people down the Saarlac/feeding them to the Rancor.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Leia learned patience because she was more mentally disciplined to begin with. Luke lacked that discipline which is why Yoda is disappointed.

23. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Yoda also thought that Anakin Skywalker could never be redeemed, so what Yoda thinks isn't always unassailable truth.

As for Jabba: he's a very intelligent, dangerous, and lustful slug. And unlike her composure when faced with Vader in the first film, one thing is different on Leia's side in ROTJ: she's in love.

Sarge likes this.
  24. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Why not? He seemed to learn the "Jedi mind trick" and the force choke just before ROTJ.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The mind trick is just a simple use of asserting your will over another. The Force choke is just a manipulation of the Force like levitation and pushing objects.