main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who tipped off Jabba?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Leia73, Apr 29, 2017.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Examples? In ANH Leia is a snooty uptight snappy brat; and in TESB and ROTJ she's ruled by her emotions. "Hold me!!"

2. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Leia is extremely strong-willed, which is why she holds out against Vader's mind probe. (No! Not the mind probe!)

But being strong-willed and being patient are two different things entirely. And ones not found together a lot of the time.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In ANH, Leia mocks her captors because she is being defiant. Obi-wan and Anakin did the same thing to Grievous. She mocks the Stormtrooper that enters her cell because she can tell it isn't a normal trooper due to his size. She mocks Han and Luke because they're the Keystone Cops. They entered the detention cell without a plan to escape and are now pinned down by enemy fire. Han even throws Luke under the bus and Luke realizes that he did screw up. She's angry at them because they were almost killed multiple times because of their ineptitude. She mocks the Falcon the same way Luke did. This is the opposite Luke who has no reason to get angry when he's having dinner with Yoda and no reason to be impatient about seeing Yoda. Leia would have a better sense to be gracious to her host. Not just that, but she's been a successful senator for the last few years. She never craved excitement and adventure.

In TESB, she refuses to get involved with Han due to the war. She shows great patience with Threepio's antics and is gracious to be in Lando's care, before finding out that he sold them out. She mocks the Falcon because the ship is broken down and barely operational, which is in response to his so-called expertise in fixing his ship. The same way that Obi-wan would get on Anakin for his reckless behavior.

In ROTJ, she does get upset when she learns that Luke is her brother and Vader is her father, and that they will wind up killing each other. But then she puts her emotions away after a few minutes and is ready to go to the bunker. She also demonstrates a strong willingness to trust the Ewoks, whereas Han is hostile towards them right out of the gate.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hmm, I never thought about this question before. Intriguing how little details like this slip past your mind if you buy into a scene's overall sense of urgency. Although looking back at the scene now, I'm more amused by the simple fact that Jabba and his entourage are hiding behind a curtain. Even the band is back there with him and in on the prank. Star Wars is really absurd when you think about it. [face_laugh]

5. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Well in fairness to Han on the last point they were going to eat them.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He was already annoyed before then. Notice that Luke is the one who remains calm and more respectful, as a Jedi would.

7. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Chewie got them into that mess with his stomach.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    BTW, Carrie Fisher remarked on the incredibly uncharacteristic silence of Leia after she dons the metal bikini: “The thing that killed me about this setup was, Okay, you put me in this bathing suit -- but then I have to stop talking from here on? Strip me -- and I’m silent!”

Leia's lack of witty retorts is extraordinarily unusual for her character. But I think this iwas a deliberate choice on Larry Kasdan's part: the idea being that Leia is traumatized and in shock after being raped by Jabba, so that her usual protective shell of sarcasm is disabled.