main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who trained Yoda?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Slobbing Rudyard, May 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slobbing Rudyard

Slobbing Rudyard Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2003
    Just curious.

2. TK-101788

TK-101788 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2003
    No one knows.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't think the EU has even touched on this subject yet.

Personally, I wouldn't want to know. I like how the majority of Yoda's past is a mystery. Besides, it would mean nothing to me to hear that "Jedi Master Whoever" trained Yoda. It'd just be a name, and wouldn't really mean anything.

4. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    Yoda trained himself. Ever heard of a self-trained Jedi?

5. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Maybe no one trained Yoda. Maybe he's just making it all up as he goes along. If anyone finds out he's really Dennis the Doughnut boy he's finished.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Supposedly Frank Oz has an entire backhistory about Yoda outlined but will never release it unless Lucas gives the OK. This outline was created as part of the preparation to voice Yoda in ESB. I believe there was an article about that here on TFN.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, Frank Oz mentioned that during a interview on the Michael Medved radio show. I think TFN has the interview available for download.

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I think it would be cool to see the outline and have a very talented writer turn it into a book. The only drawback I see is the book might kill Yoda's mystique.

9. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Somethings in Star Wars should remain a mystery and this is one of them.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I disagree. It's not a mystery. The information is there and has been there for a long time. It just hasn't been released.

11. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I disagree. It's not a mystery. The information is there and has been there for a long time. It just hasn't been released.

It's a mystery as far as the viewers are concerned and I hope it stays that way. Knowing about it wouldn't add anything to the saga and some characters are better if we know less about them.

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That may be true, which is why I pointed the same thing out when I mentioned the outline being turned into a book. It very well could destroy the mistique of Yoda. However, I think it would add a lot more depth to his character if we knew where he came from and what he went through. The same can be said for Palpatine as well. You just don't get that evil overnight.

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I think a backstory on Yoda would make him seem less awesome than he is, i like it better with him as a mystery.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think keeping who trained Yoda a mystery isn't nearly as important as keeping Palpatine's history/training a mystery...with Yoda, especially with the prequels, you can almost see in your mind's eye where he came from to some degree...so having a story about that isn't so bad.

15. Joeda

Joeda Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    So... search for the one who Yoda was by trained do you. My signature you will read.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I don't think we will ever know that just like we will never know who trained the Emperor. They are introduced into the saga as masters respectfully and their apprenticeship does not fit into the characters that they are. Even to know that information takes away from the credibility of their characters.

17. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    That all depends on how the information is prepared and presented. Lucas would probably mess it up, but I would love to see Oz's ideas.

YJ, MS.

If you want some technical history, this site is great. There's several parts, and I linked you to the funniest part, but you really should look around it.

Yoda, the Nogard's sacrifice, and the guy we nailed to the floor!

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It's obvious who trained Yoda. The only person in the galaxy older than him.

[image=http://www.drake.edu/public/dole.gif]

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Dole's not powerful enough to have trained Yoda. He couldn't even beat his own rival.

Judging by the way Yoda speaks Basic, it is very likely that he started out in another language.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::SNL skit::

Dole: "To better compete, Bob Dole will turn into pure energy."

Koppel: "And where would this energy form be stored?"

Dole: "Well, the Bob Dole energy beam would be stored in...in a crystal! And when congress needs to pass a real tough bill- Bob Dole can jump out of the crystal and materialize!"

Koppel: "Like Obi-wan Kenobi?"

Dole: "Yeah, whoever that is, sure."

21. Joeda

Joeda Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Yoda, a little green goofy guy, who could've trained him? Perhaps only another little green goofy guy that has been around longer than Yoda, who in turn introduced Yoda to his would be best friend, Frank Oz. I'm talking about of course Jedi Master Kermitt the Frog.

22. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    No clue, ask SuperShadow, he's the fanboy who has that comprehensive list of ancient and obscure yet importent characters to the GFFA and the movies themselves (i.e Jedi like Dezar Luger, Ce Ce Denowai, and Bontu Sitmus). :D

<[-]> Saber

23. Krayt_Wyrmrider

Krayt_Wyrmrider Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    I was under the impression that Yoda is a Whill.

*squelching noise, resembling something hitting a fan*

24. DarthLeia

DarthLeia Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Whoever trained has been dead for a long long time or else that person is close to 1000 years old.
    8-}

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'd prefer not to know about Yoda's background because I think it diminishes him to give the fans mental images of padawan Yoda, not even able to lift rocks with the Force, let alone an X-wing. :p

I'm even more strongly opposed to learning about Palpy's history, though. Whenever a character's backstory is exposed, they're humanized in the eyes of the audience because it's easier to relate to their character. It undermines the climax of RotJ if Palpy seems like a decent guy who could have been redeemed along with Vader if Luke had only tried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.