main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who wants an expansive Star Wars RPG to be developed for a video game Console?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by EwokSlayer01, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EwokSlayer01

EwokSlayer01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    Don't you think that would be fun? Fulfilling a storyline while cruisin' round the galaxy in a pimpin' transport! Tell me what you guys think.

2. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I don't think that any console would be able to handle such a game.

As this realates to video games more than RPGs, it needs to be in the video games forum.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think this is okay here -- a theoretical topic asking us RPGers if we're interested in such a thing is different than talking specifically about an existing game (which definitely would go in the Games: Video section)...

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    That's cool.

I have serious doubts that a PC or console based game could ever be as adaptable as a human GM is, or that it would ever allow a character to do whatever the player can think of. No matter how complex the AI is, there will always be some limits due to the fact that it is impossible to program for every possible action in every situation. If I am playing a computer game and decide that my character is no longer motivated to continue on the quest, the game has no contingency for that. However, in a true RPG, the game would be able to adapt by creating a new adventure that my character could undertake or find some way of getting the character interested in the main quest again.

5. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    You mean like Star Wars Galaxies?

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No CRPG can beat the good old pen and paper game :cool:.

I'm not really into MMPCRPGs (I feel like I've really screwed up the achronym). I like more the idea of KOTOR (a good adventure with a good plot) than the idea of SWG.

7. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I have no doubt I will immensely enjoy SWG and KOTOR, but it won't be a substitute for having your friends over for an intimate pen & paper session where the only limit is imagination, not what the programmers put into it.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i love eye candy, it should be done :)

9. EwokSlayer01

EwokSlayer01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    I agree that the pencil and paper will never be topped, but our games are to infrequent!

10. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Well the mechanics are in place (how hard is it to convert D&D3e to SWd20), thanks to NeverWinter Nights. However were it done Fallout2 style (with what seems like damned near endless sidequests and stories), the end product may be something like 5 or more CDs! Now, you can put it online, so it would be similiar to AO or EverCrap, but then you've got a Hack & Slash with no real purpose, other than to get levels. If you think SW Galaxies is going to be any different, well, wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.