main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Who Wants To Help A Law Student?' (No cash prizes)

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Outbound_Sith, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outbound_Sith

Outbound_Sith Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    [I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate forum to post in, but I'm willing to post it wherever the mods feel is best]

Hello everybody,

outside my geeky live as a Star Wars fan I'm a law student (okay, I guess that might be considered equally geeky by some people), and I'm in the middle of writing my thesis on copyright law.

More specifically copyright law relating to issues dealing with whether fan activities such as fan sites, fan fiction or fanfilms can infringe on the rights of a copyright holder.

So naturally I'd want to exploit my knowledge of all things Star Wars and include examples from real life fans with real life experiences.

So if you had a web site, which landed you a cease-and-desist letter from LucasFilm back in the days, or if you feel you're walking a tightrope when writing gen-fic (or slash, for that matter), or if you have first hand knowledge about how LFL treats fanfilm makers, please post in this thread or send me a mail.

Even if you just know someone, who has had these problems, post here or send me a mail.

Heck, if you have any story at all even remotely related to Star Wars and copyright infringement, please let me know.

All responses will of course be treated fairly, and anyone who ends up being quoted in my thesis, will remain anonymous upon request (much like Will Broker did with his "Using The Force").

If you read the post this far, I thank you, as I thank anyone who responds in advance.

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I can help you out with fan films. Just send me an email or PM with some specific questions.

3. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Boy don't I WISH that The Fourth Moon of Utapau would get noticed enough for a cease & desist. As it is, it almost seems like a well kept secret. I doubt Lucasfilm even knows it exists.

"If there is a bright center of the internet, this is the website its farthest from"

4. Outbound_Sith

Outbound_Sith Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    With all due respect, AS, I think you would have to get material a little more controversial than that (although anything concerning the Holiday Special is controversial enough in itself!) to get LFL to notice you.

You might get the attention of Supernova, but then again they let Kevin Smith use "Chewbacca" for "Clerks", so they've probably got enough sense of humor to let it slide.

BTW, I had been to your site before you posted this shameless plug. ;)

5. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Outbound_Sith, was it really so shameless? Well I am trying to become the "I'm feeling lucky" google link for searches on "Utapau" which I lost last week (to something on the forums!) and am now only in fourth place.

Its been more of a cob-web site the past two years, but my "Star Wars fandom Biorythm" is on an upswing again, so I am dusting it off.

Lots of that stuff was funnier and cutting edge 7 years ago when it was new...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.