main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who wants to help head a meet up of JCers and FFers @ C4? It's never too early to plan.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Earwen_Lightrider, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    So it was, we couldn't walk down there so it made it packed by Indy!

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Dingo, I get in Wed night, too. That sounds good.

What about the Fan Force room, will there be one this time, like at C3?

Why don't we use the FF/501st/RL party to meet everyone? I agree that closer to time will be easier.

As for me, I know I'll be at the "rave" and the FF party. Anyone interested in meeting up the night we get there on Wed, let me know when you figure it out, I don't think my flight gets in until 4:50, but we can plan something for a little later. Happy hour!

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Is there going to be an actual FF/501st/RL party?

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

SD Zoo or Sea World is WAY too far. It's a good 2 hours south from LA, and not worth it, IMO. If you're going to blow your money on amusement parks, stick to Disneyland and even the LA Zoo. :)

I'm not sure about the FF/RL/501st dinner, but I assume there WILL be one.

5. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    As I said in my earlier post:

Just to let everyone know, in response to a message I sent to Adrian (rep at GenCon), she says that at this point there is something happening every night of the convention. This could change, of course (nothing is ever cast in stone), but there isn't a free night at the moment to set up an "official unofficial" event such as was held in Indy for the FF/501st/RL.

Perhaps we can try to plan a "get-together within a get-together" as the schedule begins to finalize itself.

This is disappointing, but it'll save a bit o' money LOL for everyone. The cost of duplicating what was done in Indy would have been considerably more in L.A. Just the nature of the convention business out here.

Now, if someone from the 501st or RL is planning on something, that's great, just haven't heard anything. But I won't be planning to attend unless I'm assured that it's on a free night (Sebulba-X, the C-III rep, said they totally lucked out on having a free night) because I don't want to miss anything at the convention if I can avoid it.

6. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Val, I know you've posted the convention hours somewhere, just not sure where. Would an early breakfast on Thursday morning be a possiblity? If not, I suggest we hit up Disneyland on Wednesday and/or plan a get together Wednesday night.

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The vendor's hall opens at 10 AM.

A breakfast might not be a bad idea. I'm still worried about what people are willing to pay, though. (And don't forget there's going to be a fan club breakfast....)

8. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    How are we going to prove your a fan force member? Is there going to be badges or something?

9. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The C-III party wasn't just limited to FF or 501st or RL -- it just has always been assumed that attendees were a member of one or more of those organizations. Attendees had to RSVP in advance (most of them paid that way, too) and then their names got checked off the list.

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I really hope we can set up a FF/501st/RL party somewhere. That was way more fun than the C3 party.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    The C3 party was lame in the extreme. Any party where you have to pay for your food isn't worth the effort -- especially after paying extra to get into the party in the first place. I don't know what evening activities CIV is planning, but I'd think twice about paying extra for anything. A FF/RL/501st party at one of the hotels would be nice, but that is tough to plan without knowing what CIV is doing, and it could be costly.

Uh, I have not seen anything on the CIV web site about what they have in mind for their schedule. I was hoping that artist and author guests might be announced by now; that's typical for SF conventions. The CIV site invites programming ideas from fans, but it's a bit vague, with no suggestions about that a successful proposal might be. Approval for fan tables isn't schedules until the end of January, too. 4+ months before the event, that's a little worrisome for CIV organization.

In the convention center itself, what are the good places for people to meet and talk?

12. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    I agree on the fact its like 4 months away and nothing is being annouced is not good. I hope stuff start coming in soon. Has anyone heard how the ticket sales are doing? Its going to really suck if its a flop. And what would be consider a flop?

If someone staying at the Holiday Inn, maybe they can find out if there is a ball room we can all gather in.

The C3 party was boring and wasn't worth the money. Any for the price they could of at least had some free stuff for us to eat or drink. It was my biggest disappointment of C3.

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Adrian at GenCon says Mary and Steve are still working on the schedule (think they were waiting for the Parade to be over to get really serious, at least that's what Steve told me).

The convention center is a huge facility, but except for the food court areas there is no one good place to gather to sit -- there aren't many seating areas around.

I have a request into the Holiday Inn to see if their banquet room is available. It holds a maximum of 200 people. We'll see if they have any space.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, yes. Mary said she's 3 months behind on all of this thanks to the Parade.

Be patient; they're working hard on this! :)

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    That's kind of what I was thinking. See if one of the Downtown hotels has an okay sized function room that is free on the Wed night. Depending on what they charge for things, you can just have either an actual dinner (buffet menus are simple) or just cocktail food so people can mix and mingle. Doesn't have to be anything big or fancy, and for those of us that want to I'm sure that there are some local places where we can go afterwards to continue the partying in more adult fashions.

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Let me know if you need help with the banquet room. I coordinate meetings as part of my job. Wednesday night might be a good night for an unofficial reception. I'm at the Westin, so if nothing else I can check there, and possibly get some kind of corporate discount.

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, I have RFPs into both the HI and the Bonaventure, so we'll see what's up and go from there. We might be moving on... LOL. Thanks for the offer!

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    What are RFPs?

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Requests for Proposal.

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    You're awesome!

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I have a few Starwood points left that would probably do for a suite for one night, if we decide to do something Wednesday night at the Bonaventure, or even some other time. We could book a room at regular price and I can use points to upgrade. At the meeting I did in Atlanta in November, we got the Presidential Suite and it was a two level suite with living room and dining room area as well as a bar. We were able to fit 125 people in it.

22. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    HOLY **** That sounds like an awesome room. I like the sound of a hotel party

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Something like that might definitely be a possibility for the Wednesday, except that 125 isn't very many people, obviously. I'd like to find something that can fit at least 200 comfortably.

24. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, the Holiday Inn get back to me and unfortunately space is not available. Still waiting to hear from the Bonaventure.

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Have you heard anything about the 501st planning something? I read on the RL boards that from what they had heard the 501st was just interested in something for themselves, and the RL doesn't have any plans at the moment, but if nothing is made jointly they are probably going to arrange a dinner or something for their members. A really good thing at C3 was the fact that it was one party for all fans. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.