main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who was Jesus Christ really?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Apr 2, 2007.

?

Who was Jesus Christ really?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Son of God

53.7%
  2. A prophet

4.8%
  3. Delusional cult leader

9.0%
  4. Unorthodox visionary thinker

19.7%
  5. Other

12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Son of God. Almighty. Author and Finisher. Beloved. Branch. Bread of Life. Bridegroom. Bright Morning Star. Carpenter. Chosen One. Chief Cornerstone. Door. Immanuel. Eternal Father. Faithful and True Witness. Firstborn. God. Head of the Church. High Priest, Apostle. Holy One. Hope. Image of the Invisible God. Jesus. Judge/Ruler. King of Kings. Lamb of God. Last Adam. Light of the World. Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Living Water Spirit. Lord of Lords. Man of Sorrows. Master. Messenger of the Covenant. Messiah. Prince of Peace. Prophet. Redeemer. Ressurrection and the Life. Savior. Shepherd. Shiloh. True Vine. The Way, The Truth, And The Life. Wisdom of God. The Word. YAHWEH.

And so much more.

2. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    I applaude your post. =D= [:D]

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Fixed.

4. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I thank you.:D

VadersLaMent. The truth can never be altered or fixed, my friend. But it's okay. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices in life. We can just agree to disagree, okay?[face_peace]

5. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999

The trouble is that some atheists are more antitheists (i.e., they hate God) than they are comfortable atheists, which implies some other pathology is involved (i.e., they blame God or religion for difficulties in their own lives). It doesn't end with disrespect, and history has proven it can get much worse.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [face_laugh]

You folks are way to easy to get all riled up. And you call me angry. Silly. [face_peace]

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Like you're showing respect for his?

8. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    [:D]

I don't think anyone here is 'riled up'. These issues of belief - on everyone's behalf here - that are touchy subjects, generally. I don't get perturbed at atheists that post here or that work with me in real life because we don't agree in matters of faith. It is of no consequence to my frame of reference, even though I disagree with the belief system that is atheism.

I would just wish that when someone posts something like that in a thread that asks "Who is Jesus Christ" that you could simply accept that they have a point of view. If it didn't matter to you because you don't believe in it, why then add such a thing to the member's post? It was an obviously derisive measure. It would seem that you would shrug stuff like that off if you were ambivalent about it.

---

The situation involved VLM inserting his belief opinion into another forum member's statement of faith because VLM does not respect the point of view, as he's sometimes demonstrated in the other forums.

I don't disrespect his right to think Jesus was a mythological entity, but I will not insert my own opinion as his own when he makes such a statement. I will respond to the statement with my own opinion, not change his opinion in a quote to my own opinion because I can't stand to look at it.

There are better venues for these types of in-depth philosophical discussions. This is simply a poll derived to gauge what members feel about Jesus. In VLM's case, he thinks it's entirely a myth. I don't agree with his formulation, but I'm not going to put my words over his to discuss the issue. Nor should he do the same to the forum member who expressed himself. It's just inherently disrespectful of someone's right to have their own opinion.

9. Darth was Mauled

Darth was Mauled Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Matthew 6:13-15

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets." "But what about you?" he asked, "Who do you say I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Guys, cool it. Respect each others beliefs and opinions, even though you're free to state your own.

11. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    QFT, only I reversed. Delusional cult leader with a hint of unorthodox visionary thinker.

Scummy

12. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    He was -and IS- the Son of God!

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Son of God.

14. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    VLM, curious, is there any reason you subscribe to the untenable Jesus Myth theory for any reason other than that it reinforces your particular worldview?

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Untenable? That's funny. Learning about the history of religions in general lead to atheism. I was not an atheist for the heck of it and then looked at religious myth for reinforcment. Jesus is a ripoff of Horus of Egypt, Christmas is not a celebration of Jesus; Christmas was Christmas before Jesus' birthday was moved there.

16. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I'm not talking about atheism. I'm an atheist, and I'm sure Christmas is indeed rooted in various pagan celebrations. I'm talking about the supposed non-historicity of Jesus. You're rather outspoken in your criticism of Intelligent Design and other creationist nonsense, and justifiably so, but then turn around and support a "theory" that's regarded as equally kooky by scholarly historians, atheists included.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There is no valid evidence for a historical Jesus, magical or otherwise. Evidence sure is funny. You ask for it and never get it, yet there is a church in every town.

18. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Then why are there numerous atheist scholars vouching for the historicity of Jesus? Again, don't steer this into the straw-man topic of Christianity, you certainly won't find me defending any of that.

Here's what secular humanist historian Will Durant, author of the 11-volume The Story of Civilization has to say about it.

C'mon VLM, you're better than this. If incontrovertible evidence of Jesus' existence turned up tomorrow would your atheism be wavered? I'm confident it wouldn't, so why do you feel compelled to bother with this nonsense?

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A hisorical Jesus does not = God or magic Jesus, so no my atheism would stand. Evidence, actual real evidence for magic Jesus and God would remove atheism but that does nto make on a worshipper, nor an adherant to a particular religion.

I did not read all that Durant paragraph but perhaps after the holidays I will look it over and put together some info and reply at length.

20. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    Unorthodox visionary thinker.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well I was gonna discuss this further but...

...but if people just want to be total and complete jerks about all this then what's the point? If you consider me hostile then you barked up the wrong friggin tree.

22. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006

Here is just the most recent example. Also note your belittling of Jesus Christ to people who obviously hold him in very high reverence on this very page and deliberate attempts to "rile them up". I'm all for attacking religion when the circumstances call for it(i.e attempts to wedge it into the government sphere or scuttle scientific breakthroughs in medicine), but there's a time and a place for it. Abandoning this particular debate serves you well anyway, since your position is untenable, which you will discover if you conduct even a cursory amount of objective research.

23. king_alvarez

king_alvarez Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2007
    What are your requirements for what you would consider to be valid evidence for a historical Jesus, or any historical figure?

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is the second time in two weeks I've had to give a warning to cool it in this thread. Next time I'm locking the thread for a few days. FRIENDLY ARGUING ONLY.

25. Oddball_62

Oddball_62 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    NYCitygurl's right. This is a sensitive topic, true, but we shouldn't get carried away. We can't make other people believe what we believe. Even though I, as a Christian, want people to accept Him, I can't really do much here.

Although it is encouraging to me to see the majority believing Him here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.