main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST who was more powerful the first order or the new repubic

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Christopher Blair, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    For two minutes before it got blown up.
    And was it stated in that this was the capital? I dont remember.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The demise of the Empire means the FO has to reorganize things elsewhere. They can't be overt. So, they go out into the wilderness and reorganize and rebuild.

They're so far away and out of sight out of mind, the New Republic doesn't take much of what Leia and the Resistance says about the FO's rising strength seriously. That's one reason the Resistance is separate from the NR and not just an official arm of the galactic republic.

Bacbacca, yeah they mention the Republic and 3PO mentions their fleet. The shots also show some of the republic fleet being destroyed.

It's funny because the movie makes it seem that Hosnian Prime is the republic, not just the capital. If anything, they oversell its importance.

3. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    i didnt tie that comment to the handful of ship orbiting the planet. I just thought it was about SKB being so big. They didnt have enough ships to take it down.

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well I just meant if we're comparing the strength of the two factions: NR and FO, there seems to be a bit of very big tit for tat in TFA resulting in maybe a bit of a severe setback for either power to be in dominance by the end of the film.

Sets the stage for a interesting backdrop for VIII.

5. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I think the point is, Hosnian Prime was, at the time, the political center of the Republic. That being said, don't any of the members of the Republic have their own militaries? I suppose the Empire usurped them in OT, but a Republic is certainly more than just a capital.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah they have a fleet but it was stationed at Hosnian Prime along with the Senate.

According to the canon LIT, each republic world is declared sovereign by Mon Mothma and encouraged to have their own planetary defense force.

I'm just not sure individually if that would be enough. Collectively they'd still need a joint force to fight the FO. And that joint force appears to be wiped out…for now.

7. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    You would expect, following the destruction of Hosnian Prime, that FO would start going after systems one by one slowly weakening what's left of the republic.

Of course, we don't know the extent of the First Order's powers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.