main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who was more powerful yoda or darth sidious????

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 28, 2014.

?

who was the true winner of the duek yoda or darth sidious?

1. Yoda

37.4%
  2. Darth Sidious

67.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I think Yoda is a better swordsman but think they're equal in their knowledge of the Force. I believe Yoda only lost because he underestimated Palpatine, and Yoda viewed this as a failure on his part caused by pride. That's why he imposed exile upon himself.

deadly jp likes this.
  2. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Yoda is more powerful but Palpatine is cheaper and luckier. Yoda's biggest flaw is his lack of size. That's what really screwed him over. During that final force lightning explosion, Yoda was sent flying, whereas Palpatine moved not even half as much. Were Yoda bigger, he may have indeed come out the victor.

deadly jp likes this.
  3. awefc

awefc Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2014
    I believe yoda was more powerful. he was better in the lightsaber duel and also when they were using force powers. sidious believes he is winning at the end until yoda gains advantage. only because of yodas size, sidious would have been killed, the affects of the force powers sends yoda flying away, thus unable to finish him off

4. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Obi-Wan and Vader duel on Mustafar while Yoda and Palpatine duel on Coruscant. Palpatine is too strong for the aging Yoda, who escapes with Bail Organa.
    --Taken from The Comics Companion

AusStig likes this.
  5. awefc

awefc Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2014
    I think its a matter of interpretation. my opinion is that yoda was winning regardless of a quote from somewhere

6. Spartan Kobe

Sep 7, 2014
    My opinion is that, even if you just take it as face value, I don't see anything to indicate that Yoda was gaining an advantage. Sure he got back into the fight in that lightning battle, but they were both launched away. Sidious was hanging, and if Yoda was the same size, he would probably be hanging too. At best, I believe that Yoda stalemated him, and simply could not continue because clones were coming.

Sidious running away makes no sense though. Oh noes I better get out of here, and then he ends up giving Yoda a fight for his life. XD

And just some more quotes if anyone wants to listen to them:

Although Yoda held his own for much of the duel,
    in the end the Sith bested him
    . He realized that continuing to directly confront Palpatine would mean failure.
    Defeated
    , Yoda slunk away into the shadow's of the Senate chamber's cavernous depths, leaping into a waiting getaway speeder piloted by Bail Organa.
    Source: The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia​

He'd never had it.
    He had lost before he started. He had lost before he was born.
    The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves. They had become new.​
    While the Jedi—
    The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war. The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away by any torch of the Force. The brighter his light, the darker their shadow. How could one win a war against the dark, when war itself had become the dark's own weapon?
    Source: Revenge of the Sith​

Yoda's knowledge of the Force makes him just as powerful as Darth Sidious.
    Source: Mysteries of the Jedi​

Sidious battles with passion and fury, only to be matched every blow by Yoda's calm, measured skill.
    Source: Beware the Sith​
    Given this and what we saw, I firmly believe that Yoda is at best equal to Palps.

AusStig and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine had blasted Yoda's weapon from his hands. Yoda may have been able to repel Palpatine's attacks - but without his lightsaber his ability to "return fire" was somewhat limited.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda. He even says "If so powerful you are, why leave?". Sidious knew that he couldn't be a match for Yoda. He only " won" the duel because he had the high ground.

9. Spartan Kobe

Sep 7, 2014
    *seethes*

10. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Overall, I believe they are close to equal in terms of power. I think in a "fair" fight Yoda very well could have won, but given the situation Sidious made sure he always had the advantage.

A lot of factors come into play with hypothetical versus matches, but I think there are a few things we can assume. In terms of Lightsaber skill, I was always under the impression Yoda was superior to Sidious. This seems evident from the fact Sidious appears to first run, then when forced to duel, ends up resorting to throwing objects at Yoda while keeping his distance.

In terms of Force ability, they appear mostly even, although Sidious appears to be willing to do whatever it takes, while Yoda doesn't seem to be at 100% mentally. We see he is very troubled all throughout Revenge of the Sith, and the novelization seems to support him having a bit of self doubt. In addition to that, does Yoda really plan to kill Sidious out right? How does he plan to reconcile that with his own beliefs? How will the public view that? He must have had some sense that even if he won the duel; what form of the republic would he be salvaging, would it even function? Or would it turn to chaos?

All the while, Sidious is fighting to hold on to everything he has fought for. He has finally achieved his goal, and the goal of every Sith before him. He is going to fight with everything he has to hold on to that. To the Sith, there is nothing beyond death. When you're dead, you're nothing. Given their motivations, it makes sense Sidious would have the upper hand from a psychological perceptive as well.

Another factor I would contribute to the outcome, is the fact Yoda was already getting older, and the Jedi's connection to the force had been getting weaker, while the dark side and Sidious appeared to continuously grow stronger.

So, I think under different circumstances, at another time, Yoda definitely could have had a very good chance of winning. However, in the circumstances given, it seems clear Sidious the advantage no matter who he faced.

11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    At the end of their battle Palpatine is still cackling and Yoda falls to ground with a thud and appears exhausted. So, it seems to me Palpatine won that round fair and square. He also seems to chuck those Senate pods much more easily than Yoda can. My sense is that they are basically equal though. Palpatine just got the better of him on that day.

I also get the impression that Palpatine is more powerful in ROTJ than he was in ROTS as at that point he seems above even thinking of using a lightsaber, while Yoda is so close to death that he's not all he used to be. So, Palpatine at his best in ROTJ seems more powerful than Yoda when he was at his best -- some time around ROTS (unless Yoda was at his best before the PT).

AusStig likes this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    But a win is a win, and Palpatine won and Yoda was forced to run and hide on a swamp world while Palpatine ruled the galaxy uncontested for over twenty years.

AusStig likes this.
  13. goofy79

goofy79 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2015
    Im fairl
    Im new to this but heres my two cents to coin a phrase/pun

I have not read the EU books and i accept Sidious supercedes Yoda in them by a wide margin my opinion is based soley on the movies George Lucas original vision.

The best analogy of this fight is like a boxing match in Germany " you have to get a knockout to score a draw ". This was the case here. Even if yoda wins the galaxy is at war and probably will continue and such borrowing from the books he s lost before hes begun. However lets continue the boxing analogy with some wild variations at the end. Lets bear in mind a boxer ( sidious) needs to adopt a far more conservative energy saving combat methods ie cover up etc to score a draw and wait for the clones to arrive. Yoda is at a massive disadvantage he has to kill him and within a set time limit. A difficult and counter intuitive task for any jedi.

1 point to sidious for his initial force lightning knocking yoda down
    1 point yodas force push
    1 point yoda sidious tries to run....... really
    1 point yoda disarms sidious ( debatable but implied by the movie)
    1 point yoda throwing the senate pod against sidious and gravity. If i have a cro-bar i could probably have loosened the pods and let gravity do the rest ala sidious. This is a very crucial one,its clear that high ground that sidious can escape to because thats his intention from the start of course and yoda cant gain the high ground sidious can just go lower and escape.!!!!. This high ground advantage as is made abundantly clear in the Obi wan Anakin fight is an alomost insurmoutable advantage anakin killed dooku but dooku dispatched obi-wan easily. Yet yoda nullified it.
    1 point sidious disarms yoda
    Force battle on the pods i think at the very end the look on sidious face and yoda is moving forward a fraction mean he won but ill score it a draw, the surroundings made yoda fall that was the difference, but as you should mind your surroundings ill give it draw.
    1 point sidious yoda flees

So thats a 4 to 3 win for yoda just for the fight of course.

The bigger picture...
    10 points to sidious for concealing himself from the jedi and turning them into a weapon of war...!
    10 points to Yoda as a legacy the Jedi ruled the galaxy for hundreds of years Sidious managed just 20 odd years.

10 points yoda, he trained Luke who directly caused Darth Vader to turn on the emperor, that concludes a string awful failures he failed to detect or stop vader he failed to sense Luke on Endor. Hes a coward he ran from yoda and killed plaguis in his sleep.

The deciding factor and clear ideological goal of star wars that Lucas presents is that the jedi certain ones live forever as force ghosts something the sith ie plaguis spend there lives try to master ie immortality.
    Yoda dies peacefully as he joins the force lives forever, sidios gets thrown down a hole by someone who has turned to the darkside, didnt do a good job of turning him really. 1000 pts yoda/jedi

The books can say what they may a good book is aways grey, the stars movies and more black and white. The light side wins in the end.

If the ground is flat Yoda a few hundred years younger i believe alot of his force powers are required to maintain his v v v old body then he takes sidious fairly easily.

14. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    This debate will long remain.
    Not even Lucas said whom from Grandmaster Yoda or Darth Sidious is more powerful.

15. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    It's very insulting to Sidious, to be compared to the much weaker Yoda. Yoda couldn't even beat his old Padawan (Dooku) 1v1.
    Against Sidious, Yoda was beaten very early when Sidious knocked him down with lightning... Yoda lay face down with no defence, Sidious should have ended Yoda right there. He didn't because Sidious wanted to play with Yoda the same way a cat plays with a rat. Sometimes the rat escapes (just like Yoda did). Sidious was a noble warrior, and he made the mistake expecting the greatest of the Jedi to be as well.
    As far as the "high ground goes"... That is the battle within the battle. Yoda was not anywhere near strong enough to gain the high ground. He tried his best to get the high ground. But he was inferior to Sidious in every aspect of the force and combat. Yoda ran away before he was killed by Sidious, plain and simple.
    One thing I will give Yoda.. At least he fought Sidious 1v1. Unlike Windu and his posse, who all were defeated and killed by Sidious. 4 Jedi masters being killed by 1 Sith lord in 1 battle of close quarter combat - 4v1. It is proven in the films, that no Jedi was a worthy opponent to Sidious. Sidious fought and defeated 5 Jedi masters - killing 4 and making Yoda so scared, Yoda runs and hides for the rest of his life.

AusStig likes this.
  16. goofy79

goofy79 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2015
    Im not really sure Sidious was insulted lol the last i spoke to him he mentioned he really had to try with Yoda.!!!

Is there any doubt Yoda couldn't beat dooku if he really wanted to.?

I agree Sidious surprised and could have probably finished him after that first attack, it shows poor knowledge of future that hes going to get up give you a very good fight and eventually triumph via the Skywalkers.!

If Yoda is rat then hes one of those big ones from papua new guinea.

Calling Sidious noble is risible just look up the definition of his name insidious. Killed his master in his sleep rarely did any work during the entire series his clones/apprentices did most, powerful yes noble no, he is a Sith

Clearly if Yoda gains the high ground does Sidious try to attack or just run off like at the beginning of the fight. If Yoda rises Sidious descends/escapes a draw is fine for him he rules the galaxy, this is the massive advantage as indicated by obi-wan mutilating a more powerful anakin that Yoda actually overcomes this with his reversing the pod thrown with gravity's aid shows his superiority with the force not enough to win in this exact circumstance, but under most others.

As for the killing the 4 masters, theres no doubt he is very powerful, however yoda has similar scale feats across all media platforms.

I am aware the books indicate Mace had no chance and only the vaapad boost allowed him to survive beyond a few moments.
    Going soley from the movies Mace does appear to win. There is the obvious question regarding awaiting Anakin and forcing him to save Sidious.

There can however be no doubt that Mace is very good not Sidious/Yoda good but good enough that he could (chance/luck deciding some fights) pull a win or two out of ten. The other 3 masters are essentially a non threat, Sidious could probably kill them without a light saber. So the super planning scheming Sidious would logic dictates ideally kill Mace first then allow the illusion that one of the others beat him to lure in anakin. If Anakin fails to turn sidious can just kill them both his reading of the future is good but not flawless.

Darth Sidious would not take unnecessary risks especially with his own life leaving Mace alive with anakin undecided is a risk together they are a real threat. On this basis i believe movie Mace did beat Sidious one on one flat ground, certainly its left open for speculation theres no clear answer bar the books/EU which are clear in Sidious s favour.

17. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    Short answer,Mace Windu.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yoda

Alienware and mihaitzateo like this.
  19. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009

20. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015
    Yoda is stronger than palpatine

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    If that is what you hope to believe, then I admire your loyalty to Yoda.

22. goofy79

goofy79 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2015
    I believe there could be some holes in your arguments.

Dooku ran from Yoda, Yoda ran from Sidious. If you allow Sidious the latter victory then you cant deny Yoda the former.???

Dooku was an extremely powerful jedi and sith apprentice, the sum total exceeding a normal apprentice.!

The fate of the Galaxy was sealed with decades of plotting, manipulation and insidiousness from Darth Sidious the Jedi destroyed the Galaxy at war democracy finished. As with many dictatorships history teaches us one leader can replace another, real change is far more complex, difficult and takes time to achieve. Yodas fight was possibly just his arrogance clouding his judgement, his hiding and intervention with the Skywalkers achieved ultimate victory. It wasnt a battle for the galaxys fate it was revenge/arrogance.?

I believe Yoda has fought many times perhaps not against sith, but his battles and force showings elevate his achievements to the top tier.

Sidious killed Mace but i believe cutting off mace s arm by anakin was rather handy for sidious pun intended.

The Grievous comment is pure trolling. I know a car scrap man with a huge magnet that could own grievous, he would make a wonderful piece of modern art. Its a shame Obi-wan destroyed him bare handed and Windu almost force crushed him.

An interesting fight would have been manufacturing a small army of Grievous-es against Windu and Yoda the price of scrap steel would drop.!

23. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    The way I see it is that Yoda was master of the light and Sidious was master of the dark. The only result that can come from that is stalemate.
    Mace Windu was a master of light but also used the darkside and this is why he was able to defeat Sidious.
    The Force is balanced between light and dark. The most powerful would be someone who is master of light and dark and that would have been Anakin if he didn't turn to the darkside.

Darkslayer and Alienware like this.
  24. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    Dooku left the fight because he had just defeated 2 Jedi, then he had to fight Yoda. For all he knew there could've been another 10 Jedi arriving to kill him. Remember all the Jedi were right there on Geonosis. Dooku easily defeats Obi-Wan and Anakin, then fights Yoda to a draw and leaves before any more Jedi arrive. Yoda couldn't even kill his old apprentice who would have been tired from fighting 2 Jedi just before. If Dooku was rested 1vs1 against Yoda, without the threat of all the Jedi turning up = Dooku wins easily.

If an entire Jedi order (hundreds of Jedi) couldn't defeat 1-2 Sith lords, then it was the will of the force and natural selection as the reasons the Sith prevailed. Good always conquers evil. This is clearly a perfect example.

A Jedi's true test is against their opposite equal (Sith). Yoda couldn't defeat his old apprentice (head Jedi master vs Sith apprentice). Then Sidious should have killed Yoda at the beginning of their fight, But Sidious didn't want it to be so easy. Sidious made that mistake and Yoda runs away and hides forever.

Sidious set up the entire fight so that he could turn Anakin into his new Sith apprentice. That is why he kept Mace alive until Anakin showed up. Even if Anakin didn't interfere, Sidious would have killed Mace with ease.

How is it trolling when the FACT is Grievous killed a countless amount of Jedi in battle. Grievous was a non force user, and Mace had to try and kill grievous, by using the force on him from a distance, rather than fight him 1vs1, which he couldn't.
    Obi-Wan was also no match for Grievous, and Obi-wan also had to resort to using the force and a gun (not bare handed lol) against a non force user in order to kill him. It sounds like even your artistic scrap metal man is more powerful than any of the Jedi. [face_laugh]

25. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    I can not believe that more people voted for Darth Sidious,than for Yoda.