main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who was the better Master?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darth_padawan_padme, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_padawan_padme

darth_padawan_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    Who was the better Master out of Qui Gonn and Obi Wan?

In my opinion, Qui Gonn was a better teacher to Obi Wan than Obi Wan to Anakin, but Obi Wans relationship with Anakin was a lot stronger than that of Qui Gonn and Obi Wans. Obi Wan taught Anakin good skills and was a father/brother to Anakin, except obviously Anakin didn't really learn control. Obi Wan is well controlled... Is this learned from Qui Gonn?

2. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Qui-Gon was the better Master and better Jedi altogether. Obi-Wan had just ascended from padawan status when he took Anakin on. As a Master to Anakin, Obi-Wan did things ideally under the Jedi Code. He never told Anakin anything wrong in my opinion, but he wasn't suited to instruct Anakin either. Qui-Gon was. Unforturately, Qui-Gon was killed before he had a chance to be Anakin's Master.

3. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    Since Qui-Gon was much older, and more experienced than we have seen Obi-Wan thus far, its not a fair comparison. Yes, I know we see old Obi in ANH, but its not the same thing.

My guess is that even though they have vastly different styles, they would eventually be even in the long run. Who knows, Anakin may have gone darkside no matter what. Or no matter who trained him.

Just comes down to who you think had the better overall focus, the rebel or the straight arrow.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Qui-Gon.

5. Lord_Morningstar

Lord_Morningstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    If we agree that Obi-Wan was the better apprentice and Qui-Gonn the better master, the question becomes; does a good master make for a good apprentice, a good apprentice make for a good master, or both?

6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I think that can't be answered easily. Being a good master/padawan depends not only on the training one get.
    In my view the training is a huge part, but also there is the character of the master/padawan, which plays a big part in being a good padawan/master (btw how do we define to be "good"?) And the character can't be changed easily. The older one is the more hardened is the character and it takes much time and much work of the person him/herself to change it.

So, in my view both are great masters. :)

7. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Qui-Gon was probably the better master, but I do prefer Obi-Wan as a character.

8. Brobu

Brobu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    Qui-Gon is the better master, but Obi-Wan becomes the great master of the OT. Eclipses Yoda as far as I'm concerned.

9. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I belive Qui-gon is.Since he did train Obi-Wan.

10. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    I think it was Qui-Gon as well. For reasons that appear in episode three, I think many people will think that as well. Not to mention the fact that Obi-Wan's apprentice turned to the darkside, and Obi-Wan stayed true to the Jedi Order. Many people will say that Yoda's apprentice also turned, however Master Yoda had more then one Padawan, and Obi-Wan had only the one.

11. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Well you have to take into affect that Anakin was "too old" to begin training... Obi-Wan started out when he was very young, Most of your learning habbits (self control respect, discipline) come from learning at a young age, I would say Qui-Gonn was a better teacher, but I would think Obi-Wan could have been better if Anakin had been younger, and he wouldn't have had to blame himself in the OT.

12. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    Qui-Gon was

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Both Qui Gon and Obi Wan are excellent teachers, IMO. I think Qui Gon simply wins by merit of age. Obi Wan was just too young unprepared to take on Padawan, especially one as unique and difficult as Anakin. Outside of that, although their teaching styles differ, they're still both quite competent.

14. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    Ob1 IMO is the better master. But not for Anakin. With Qui gon around I believe Anakin would not have fallen. If OB1 took another padawan the would have been great. Look what OB1 did for Luke in that short of time.

15. DarthConnoisseur

DarthConnoisseur Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    I think QG was the better Master, while Obiwan was the better student.

Obi did what he was told, as he was instructed by the Jedi. He was a model student.

QG allowed himself to listen to the will of the force when making decisions. And his instruction of his student reflected this.

16. KitFisto15

KitFisto15 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    i think that Qui-Gon was a better master than Obi-wan but Obi-wan was different. Obi-Wan was more of a role model to anakin and tough him well in the force. i also think that Qui-Gon new alot of the force and taught alot to Obi-wan.

17. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    You can make a case for both.

Qui-Gon because we really see him in his prime.

Obi-Wan because of the incredible job he did under the circumstances: forced into taking not just a Padawan, but THE CHOSEN ONE...fresh out of being Knighted for killing a Sith Lord, no less.

18. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Qui Gon was, but he clearly had the advantage. Obi Wan had the rotten luck of everyone telling him "watch out Obi Wan, that boy is dangerous, keep a close eye on him" so he became a strict disiplinarian, causing Anakin even more troubles than he already had.

19. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    I think that the question is too general.
    Each Jedi had their good and bad qualities as Master.
    :eek:bi-Wan as Master:
    -very patient
    -awesome swordsman
    -extremely wise, completely in tune with the Force
    :Negatives:
    -too strict with Jedi codes and regulations
    -too redundant as teacher, Anakin learns to ignore him

:Qui-Gon as Master:
    -extremely wise
    -has learned how to live in the Moment
    -completely in tune with the Force as well
    :Negatives:
    -doesn't obey the Council most times
    -So-So swordsman

In these regards, I belive Qui-Gon would have been a better Master for Anakin, his rebel type ways would of showed Anakin that not all Jedi have to be perfect all the time. Also, Anakin's love for the moment would of been applauded by Qui-Gon,thereby making him love the Light side even more.

20. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Its completely unfair to both to compare. QuiGonn is a great Jedi and was a great Master. As was Obiwan. But Jinn was never put into the situations that Obiwan had to deal with. Jinn had what appears to be a nearly perfect Padawan in Kenobi. Kenobi had been raised in the temple has been feed jedi disipline since birth. Jinn was also at least in his mid thirties by the time he took over obiwans training. Obiwans apprentice had been a slave on a harsh planet and knew his mother. Didn't join the order till he was ten. Was constantly supiously looked upon by the council. And on top of all this was more powerfull then nearly everyone else and was told he was. Plus Obiwan was only 25 years old when he was made a knight and given Anakin though he asked for Anakin as his padawan he probably wasn't ready.

21. qui-gon29

qui-gon29 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Qui-Gon hands down he knew more of the living force and was the most feared swordsman in the galexey. Also he was more feeling than Obi-Wan was and just a better all around Jedi. Qui-Gon made the sacrifice of himself when he kenw the boy needed to be trained if Qui-Gon had really wanted to destroy Maul he would have but he softened Maul up so Kanobi could finish him off. Qui-Gon was stronger in mind and in saber skill than Obi-Wan.

22. DarthOctavius

DarthOctavius Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    Before I used to say the same thing,im an avid Qui-gon fan and used to get mad at the fact that Obi-wan is such a medocre jedi,but now I come to realize and appreciate Obi-wan's character so much more.He may not be the greatest Jedi with a saber or the strongest with the force but Obi-wan Kenobi is the greatest character in Star Wars IMO.In TPM Obi-wan is very arrogant and young minded but is thrusted responsibility and is forced to become a man.In AOTC you see that he is having trouble keeping Anakin on the right path,but is doing the best that he can do.Hes not the best,hes an average Jedi but does everything that he can possibly do.In the Clonewars is where I think Obi-wan shines the most(besides ROTS ofcoarse).he is a hero in the Clone wars and has won many campaigns as a decorated General.Obi-wan in the situation that he was in did the best that probably anyopne could have done if they were put in that situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.