main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who was the better Padawan learner?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darth_padawan_padme, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_padawan_padme

darth_padawan_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    Who do you think was the better Padawan: Obi Wan or Anakin?

2. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    is there really a question? clearly obi wan was.
    anakin complained the whole time. obi wan was not a very good teacher but I think he was certinly a better student.

3. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    IMO Obi Wan was the better Padawan learner. Anakin is/was great in his own right but he never learned to overcome his one main flaw: letting his emotions get the better of him.

4. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Obi-Wan.because he didnt show off and didnt winge all the time.

5. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    This isn't fair to Obi-Wan or Anakin.

Obi-Wan "enjoyed" life as a Jedi since he was 6 months old. Anakin was "messed up" by being allowed to know what real love is, what friends are, and what freedom is like (not much, since he was a slave, but then, Watto didn't tell him he couldn't make friends, pull him away from any fun activities, ect.).

I think maybe a debate over if Dooku and Obi-Wan were better Padawan learners is more fair.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Obi-Wan still wins that one.

Besides upbringing, there's the whole issue of personality. Obi-Wan just seems like somewhat of an overacheiver, very attentive, the kind of padawan who would end up being well-liked by his teachers. He's a bit of a suck up to the Council, but by no means is he an annoying brown noser. And he's also willing to disagree with his master, but still shows respect.

Anakin is much more I suppose your typical young person. He dislikes authority even more because he was formerly a slave. He did, however, put effort into being a padawan. I just don't think his heart was quite in it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Obi Wan: As a Padawan faced and defeated the first Sith to challenge the jedi in over a thousand years.

Never murdered Women and Children as a Padawan.

Anakin: Mocks his elders, disobeys his master, murders kids and their mothers, breaks ALL the Jedi codes and even gets married dispite the rules.

Its tuff but I think I will have to say Obi Wan. But hey, its really close.

8. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    Obi Won because Anakin always had his emotions get the better of him.

9. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I'm going to have to go with Obi-Wan. Here's my reasoning:

Obi-Wan: Followed all of the Jedi Code, Didn't murder innocent people, didn't show off, etc. The only thing that was negative about Obi-Wan was that he didn't turn out to be a great master until he trained Luke.

Anakin: Exceptional skills, mocked elders, showed off, didn't follow the Jedi Code, slaughtered innocent men, women, and children, thought he was more superior over others.

Another detail I might add is that Anakin had a weak mind. He played into Sidious' hands so easily it was like taking candy from a baby. Obi-Wan would more than likely never have done that.

10. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Have to say Obiwan. but ben did show off a bit with all that saber spinning,

11. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    Anakin never slaughtered any innocent men, women or children, he slaughtered a tribe of bloodthirsty savages who tortured a innocent woman to death for weeks for no reason.

12. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    You gotta go with Obi-Wan because of the choices he made. Anakin was the more powerful Padawan, but Obi-Wan was the better one.

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Anakin's the more powerful, skilled Padawan, but Obi Wan is most definitely the better learner. I think Anakin does try his best in many aspects, but...Jedi life simply just wasn't for him. He's a difficult, contrary, stubborn, histrionic individual...a tough case for *anybody* to handle, especially a Jedi Master.

14. padawan-yoda

padawan-yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    obi-was a better padawan and how many other padawans can say they killed a sith lord

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Obi-Wan was clearly the better padawan. He listened, he took instruction with no problem and he knew his place.

Anakin was good, but he had a discipline problem at times. Anakin had the ability to be a good Jedi but his maturity was questionable.

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    obi-was a better padawan and how many other padawans can say they killed a sith lord

How many Padawans can say they came into the Order late, manage to reach knighthood within 12 years, and in doing so, surpass even the most powerful masters in the Order? :p

Like has been said, power isn't really the best way to measure these guys. Obi Wan was more or less a knight already - Qui Gon even said as such.

17. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Anakin never slaughtered any innocent men, women or children, he slaughtered a tribe of bloodthirsty savages who tortured a innocent woman to death for weeks for no reason.

The children and women had nothing to do with it, that's why Anakin adds them in his confession ("..And not just the men.."). While NeoBaggins comes off a little harsh on Anakin, he's essentially right.

Anakin is a sympathetic, hardworking, trying and uneven good man, but he's a failing padawan/Jedi.

I find it amazing that he even manages/managed to reach knighthood.

- O_F

18. TogashiAikune

TogashiAikune Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2004
    Why do you assume that the women had nothing to do with it? And even if they didn't they still didn't help a screaming woman who was being totured to death. They all deserved what they got.

19. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Why do you assume that the women had nothing to do with it? And even if they didn't they still didn't help a screaming woman who was being totured to death. They all deserved what they got.

Because if the whole camp was guilty, Anakin would never have gone to the length of adding such horrible depth to his confession. Also, he says so in the novel.

So because the wives couldn't/didn't prevent it they deserve to be killed? The children too?

That's a pretty scary thought, i suppose Hitlers daughter should've been killed when his mansions were raided?

Anakin knows full well what he did was wrong, do you?

- O_F

20. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Hey, Frans. Havnt seen you in awhile. I see we are agreeing on a couple o things here.

"I find it amazing that he even manages/managed to reach knighthood."

Iv been wondering about that one too. I'm sure Yoda knows what happened or at least enough to ask some questions. But even creepier is that he tells Padme and she marries him after that.

21. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    I see we are agreeing on a couple o things here

Clouded by the darkside, my mind must be :p

Iv been wondering about that one too. I'm sure Yoda knows what happened or at least enough to ask some questions.

Yeah, based on the EU and trailers/ads for Episode III - he and Yoda have a pretty ackward relationship because of this. One where Yoda/the Council seem to let Anakin have his way at times, trusting in the profecy - yet not really trusting in Anakin.

Again, it seems to come down to Anakin the person and Anakin the Jedi.

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.