main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who was the Jedi really ordered the Clones and erased the planet from the archives?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by matthewevans, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewevans

matthewevans Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Who really ordered the clones and erased the planet from the archives? They name a Jedi but say he died 10 years earlier. Did that guy really do it, or was it someone else (sideus, dooku...etc.)

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It was Sifo-Dyas under the control and fear of Dooku. Best thing to do is read Labyrinth of Evil, because ROTS doesn't wrap it up.

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Apparently you have to read a book to find out. [face_plain]

4. Ghetto-Wookie

Ghetto-Wookie Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    After watching Episode III, I've wondered the same question myself...They never really conclude that...Was it Master Sifo-Dyas, was it a Sith lord, or someone else...I'm suspecting Palpatine did it, considering he turned the clone army against the Jedi in the end...Anyone know for sure?

5. Darth-Whill

Darth-Whill Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I haven't read Labyrinth of Evil, but that is still EU and not canon. I get the imnpression from the movies alone that it was Dooku who erased Kamino from the Jedi archives before leaving the Jedi order. Only a Jedi Master has access to the files, right? Dooku does even refer to the archives when he is talking to Mace Wendu in the arena...but true that the movies themselves don't come out and say who erased it.

6. Deadline247

Deadline247 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    According to Labyrinth of Evil Sifo-Dias was indeed the one who ordered the clone army, but Dooku and Sideous found out about it and decided to use it for their own purposes.

Dooku murdered Sifo-Dias and then erased Kamino from the Jedi Archives right before he left the order.

7. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Dooku did it.

Good Stuff

8. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I never read that book, but I came to the conclusion that Sifo-Dyas could possibly have been swayed to the dark side, ordered the clones, then been killed by Dooku, who then turned to the dark side.

Anyway, it's not necessarily a plot hole to leave the audience guessing about some things.

9. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    According to Labyrinth of Evil Sifo-Dias was indeed the one who ordered the clone army, but Dooku and Sideous found out about it and decided to use it for their own purposes.

...why did Sifo-Dias order the clone army to begin with?

-matt

10. darth_zeppelin16

darth_zeppelin16 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    exactly the question i was wondering, if he was the one that did it in the first place, why did he do it? why would a jedi want to order an army?

11. Deadline247

May 13, 2002
    According to the book, Sifo-Dias was the only Jedi on the council who really perceived the upcoming threat and the approaching darkness. So he took it upon himself to order the clone army without approval of the entire council.

From what I remember of the book, it didn't sound like Sifo-Dias had any evil intent when he did this...he was just trying to anticipate a future need of the Republic. But once Sideous found out what he did, he decided to hijack it for their own purposes. The murder of Sifo-Dias was Dooku's first real test of his commitment to the Dark Side.

12. DarthSon

DarthSon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000
    And the book is canon. The cato nemoidia reference Obi Wan makes in the film after the Invisible Hand crash landed actually happens in LOE.

13. DarthJersey

DarthJersey Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Are you referring to the AOTC novelization???

14. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I had developed the impression that Dukoo erased those files before leaving the Jedi order, upon Sidious' command I suspect.

15. DarthJersey

DarthJersey Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I guess I need to read the books. I just assumed (without knowing the spelling) that you could split the Emperor's name and turn Sidious into Sipher Dious.

16. DarthSon

DarthSon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000

No, he's referring to the book Labyrinth of Evil. It's a pretty good read. You learn that it is Sifo Dyas who orders the clone army, Dooku kills him and erases Kamino from the archives.

I think that was Lucas's original intention, having Sifo Dyas be a word play on Sidious, but he changed it to be a real jedi master.

17. Deadline247

May 13, 2002

No...the information is in LABYRINTH OF EVIL, which is a direct prequel to Revenge of the Sith.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345475720.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

18. thegauntlet05

thegauntlet05 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I haven't read the book, but if there can only be 2 Sith's, a master and an apprentice and Syfro-Dyas was killed by Dooku as his first task from Sidieous 10 years ago, wouldn't Darth Maul have been the apprentice at that point in the story? Timeline seems a little screwy.

19. Deadline247

May 13, 2002
    Dooku didn't become a Sith until after Maul died. In AOTC, the clone army was ordered 10 years prior to that...which was around the same time that Maul was killed by Obi-Wan.

After Sifo-Dias ordered the clones (we don't know exactly how long after), Dooku murdered Sifo-Dias as his first act as a Sith lord. Then he went to the Jedi Archives and erased all mentions of Kamino from the records...then left the Order.

20. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Hmm...that's pretty interesting. Thanks Deadline247!
    :D

-matt

21. AppleFan84

AppleFan84 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Is this Labryinth of Evil book accurate? I plan on sitting down to watch the movie later today or tomorrow, but my recollection is that when Obi-Wan reports to the council that Syfo-Dias supposedly ordered the Clone Army, they are baffled because the timeline of his death was such that he could not have personally ordered the Clone Army.

22. Darth-Whill

Darth-Whill Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Um, sorry Darth Son. LOE, while it may be a great book, is NOT canon. Check out starwars.com for the definition of canon.

Just because the movie makes a reference to one event of that book doesn't mean the whole story is canon.

The book was written long after the movie script, and that dialogue in the movie was the basis for that event in the book, not the other way around. That book was written after the movie.

The actual simple purpose of the dialogue was to convey the idea that these heroes have had many more adventures together in between the movies, very simiar to the "nest of gundarks" reference in ATOC.

I have wondered how Sidious seduced Dooku to the Dark Side though, so that's an interesting idea to hear.

23. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    It is explained in the visual dictionary of SITH (under the Dooku segment). It says:

"Dooku's turn to the darkside began with the murder of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, his former friend and confidant in the Order. Assuming control of the plans Sifo-Dyas had set in motion to create a clone army for the Republic, Dooku saw to it that all mention of the planet Kamino was erased from Jedi archives" (Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith: The visual dictionary, p. 13).

24. Jedi-freek

Jedi-freek Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I think if GL makes the prologoue still, we will find out why sifo-dias dies and why he orders them. Also I think we will find out who erases Kamino or what ever planet it was.

25. Deadline247

May 13, 2002
    I hate when people act like the EU is complete garbage and not good for anything.

Some of you treat it like fan fiction. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.