main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who was your favourite Superman?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Who was your favourite Superman?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Kirk Alyn (Superman serials)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. George Reeves (Adventures of Superman)

1.5%
  3. Christopher Reeve (Superman I-IV)

58.8%
  4. John Haymes Newton (Superboy)

1.5%
  5. Dean Cain (Lois & Clark)

5.9%
  6. Tim Daly (Superman: TAS)

2.9%
  7. George Newbern (Justice League)

4.4%
  8. Tom Welling (Smallville)

5.9%
  9. Brandon Routh (Superman Returns)

14.7%
  10. Other

4.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Christopher Reeve ... nuff said

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm weird because my Superman growing up was Dean Cain. I never saw the Chris Reeve films until after I saw SR. So I think all of this gives me a different perspective on the situation... I have become a massive Superman fan this year, much moreso than I was when watching Lois & Clark or the cartoons as a kid. So I don't have nostalgia to factor in, really.

Dean Cain, I loved when I was younger, but I haven't seen the show in so long. I'd like to see it again. I'm also planning on watching Smallville because I haven't seen that yet either.

I have to say, I absolutely adore Chris Reeve's work. The sharp contrast between his Clark and Superman is a testament to the talent he had. It's also a very funny contrast. His Clark is the single most entertaining aspect of any of the Superman films to date. His Superman is iconic, but of course the take on it (not really his decision, he just went with it) was a kind of winking at the audience thing... which, after Donner was fired, became out-and-out camp. This worked for his Clark. Superman didn't fare as well, through no fault of Reeve's.

But my vote went to Brandon Routh. His Superman to me is the most level-headed, mature, heroic. I like that he doesn't talk much. That's a credit to Singer's vision for the character, I think. He doesn't need to talk- he lets his presence speak for itself. That eyebrow raise after the amazing bullet-to-the-eye scene? Fantastic. That's what I picture when I picture Superman in action.

I have to say, though, that I also love Routh's Clark. I think that there was very much a desire to emmulate some of Reeve's comic aspects of the character while also making him a more realistic, whole person instead of just a disguise. We get to see both Clark and Superman "behind the scenes" so to speak in SR. They blend together more. Again, this is due to the more dramatic tone of the film. I think which version you prefer depends a lot on what you want out of Superman- action and comedy or action and drama?

So, yes... I've made this point about a billion times in Amph now but I couldn't resist :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Christopher Reeve

4. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    Christopher Reeve.

5. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Brandon is certainly a brilliant choice for the role, and played the character very well, hopefully he can continue to bring out the best in the next iteration of the franchise.

But my vote goes to Christopher Reeve, especially after watching the Donner cut of Superman II.

6. crash_slayer

crash_slayer Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2005
    Christopher Reeve, he made us believe a man could fly

7. obiwankenobilover

obiwankenobilover Jedi Master star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Christopher Reeve

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

QFT :D

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Bumping this because I just accidentally re-suggested the same poll :p

Just would like to say that I still adore Chris, it's just that he wasn't my Superman. Brandon Routh is the Superman of my time and will always have a special place for me as such :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Christopher Reeve, when I hear Superman he immediately comes to mind

11. piratedreamer

piratedreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2006
    I'll step into the minority here, and go with Dean Cain. I have never stopped loving The New Adventures of Lois and Clark and I always compare every other Clark Kent/Superman to his!

12. jedikitty19

jedikitty19 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 23, 2006
    Christopher Reeve (Superman I-IV)

13. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Christopher Reaves

14. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    Christopher Reeve[face_love]

15. Jedi_Lady21

Jedi_Lady21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2006
    Christopher Reeve

16. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    To me it's no contest....Christopher Reeve....but..a few opinions...

I"m sure many here would have no idea who Kirk Alyn is....but he was very good.

Tom Welling?? I"m surprised by this...that he has gotten some good votes. I like hi as "Clark" and love Smallville...(despite the mythos being changed a bit)

Brandon Routh: The new face of Kal El. I think he is fantastic...and look forward to more adventures..(hopefully)

17. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Christopher Reeve. Tom Welling and Dean Cain weren't far behind.

18. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I love Christopher Reeves' Superman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.