main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who wil be the next Mayor of Chicago!?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Anyone else hear that Rahm may not be eligible to run for Mayor, because he rented out his Chicago residence since going to the White House, and Chicago law requires you reside in Chicago for the 12 months prior to becoming elected Mayor?

This is slightly old news, but it would come down to how election law views his house. As you mentioned, Emanuel still owns a home in Chicago, but has rented it out since joining the Obama administration in Washington DC. He obviously hasn't lived there. If a judge looks at the property as "rental income," Rahm would loose out. But it hasn't been decided or challenged.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Good riddance. Daley was a modern day city boss and ran Chicago with an almost dictatorial scope of power. The things Blagojevich did were mild compared to what Daley did.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    And he's walking away from a budget mess that will take a decade to fix. But that hardly makes him unique among big city mayors.

4. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Good riddance. Daley was a modern day city boss and ran Chicago with an almost dictatorial scope of power. The things Blagojevich did were mild compared to what Daley did.

The difference being that Daley was successful. Blagojevich was just a mess with hair.

5. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Blago's only problem was that he got caught.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, I know my post was a bit of humor, but that wasn't Blago's only problem by a long shot, especially in comparison.

Blago put his own needs first. Making overtures to sell a Senate seat to the highest bidder, despite the fact that the person is completely unsuitable. Wasting millions of dollars for highway signs that served no purpose other than telling people how great he was. Putting his wife on the same committees that funneled state work back to her own company. Balgo was horrible for the state.

On the other hand, sure, Daley did rule with an iron fist, but he also gave Millennium Park to the residents of the city, despite the fact that the city council wanted to nix it. He unified the great Chicago museum campus, which even required that Lake Shore Drive be diverted, which was no easy task. He bulldozed Mieg's Field in an effort to increase the city's green space. He revitalized Navy Pier. The list goes on and on.

You simply can't think of Chicago as it exists without thinking of Daley.

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Well, Daley definitely poses the central ethics question of government, "Do the ends justify the means?" There is no doubt that his time is Mayor was chalk full of political patronage and backdoor deal making.

8. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Tom Dart declined, so it looks like Rahm Emanuel's bid is going to be unopposed, except for any unknowns who want to throw themselves into the mix. Certainly a mixed blessing for Emanuel.

9. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Wow, no Dart? Who do you think the major challenger will be? Do you think this means there might be no run-off?

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Danny Davis says he's running.

Davis is my representative. He is dearly loved in my district, and we'd hate to lose him. I don't know how electable he is citywide, although I suspect not very. In the election thread I pointed out his huge margin of victory in the 7th district. He won more than 80% of the vote, might as well have run unopposed.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  12. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I was listening to Joe Trippy(former Howard Dean guru) on Hannity yesterday and he was saying he looked into it with attorneys for Tom Dart when he was considering running. Trippy said Emanuel has a real problem when it comes to proving he lived in residence for a full year prior to his filing.

And that video when Rahm mentions he went to DC to serve the president in a time of crisis....did you hear the groans in the audience? Who the heck was that? The camera didn't show them but you sure could hear them.

13. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    If Rahm doesn't have the juice to beat this challenge I don't think he's quite strong enough to be Mayor of Chicago. Everyone seems to agree that Rahm will have an easy time getting elected, especially with the african american vote split between three candidates, so there has to be SOME kind challenge for him. This is the first test of his mettle.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Rahm.

They would be crazy not to go with him.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Breaking News: Court rules that Rahm Emanuel is NOT eligible to run for Mayor of Chicago

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/24/breaking-appellate-court-rules-against-emanuel/?hpt=T2

BREAKING: Appellate court rules against Emanuel

Rahm Emanuel was thrown off the ballot for mayor of Chicago Monday by an Illinois appellate court panel, according to the Cook County Appellate Court's office.

The panel ruled 2-1 that Emanuel did not meet the residency standard to run for the city's top office.

Emanuel was considered the front runner to replace outgoing Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

In December, the Chicago Board of Elections determined he was a resident, but that decision was appealed. Emanuel served as President Barack Obama's chief of staff, a position he left last year to return to Chicago.

According to a recent Chicago Tribune/WGN survey, 44 percent of the city's voters backed Emanuel, 21 percent backed former Sen. Carol Moseley Braun and 16 percent backed former Chicago Board of Education president Gery Chico. City Clerk Miguel del Valle received seven percent and nine percent remained undecided.

16. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Now if something like that stopped him, he definitely isn't cut out for the job. :p

17. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    The easy answer is that the appellate court was grumpy over the Chicago Bears loosing their Superbowl bid the previous Sunday...

But the actual ruling is 42 pages long, and kind of admonishes both sides for taking things for granted. The crux seems to be that he moved with his family into a DC home from June 09, to Oct 2010.(moving his family from Chicago and moving himself from a "temporary apartment in DC) I see another round of appeals, but it is certainly going to cause his lawyers to take it a little more seriously. The dissenting opinion all but says "this should be decided by the Supreme Court."

What's interesting is that even if Daley didn't retire and this Mayor spot open up, he leased his home with a final date of June 30, 2011. So I wonder if he was planning on doing only one term of Chief of Staff?

18. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I think he will win when he goes before the SC of Illinois.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Aren't the ballots already being shipped out for early voting?

20. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It's a pretty grim election outlook, Carol Mosely Braun stands a chance at winning.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, the question now has an answer:

Rahm Emmanuel.

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, I didn't even know when the Chicago mayoral elections were taking place, and then I see on the headlines that Emanuel won.

So I haven't been following this story much....why was he so obsessed with being mayor of Chicago?

23. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Rahm it is. Only one real suprise in this election, which was the appellate court ruling. Fact that Rahm won 50% is interesting, it wasn't a given, but not a huge surprise.

I think Rahm wanted to be Mayor because after governign at all levels of power in this country, he knows that there is no modern elected official in American who has the potential to wield as much unencumbered power as the Mayor of Chicago. Even the Mayor of New York does not have the kind of control over the city as the Daleys did. Interestingly, my understanding is that by statute the Mayor does not have nearly as much executive power as you would think. The Chicago Mayor governs through sheer force of will, which seems to suit Rahm's personality.

Time will tell what kind of Mayor he will be.

24. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Rahm it is, indeed.

For my part in welcoming his new administration, I pledge to Mayor Emannuel I will continue to not care one iota who the mayor of Chicago is.

It's the LEAST I can do.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Chicago has so many problems you don't need to care about, Gonk--all the problems you'd expect from a large city coming out of the worst recession in more than half a century, including of course budget deficits, billions in unfunded pension liabilities, and our special status as the economic center of one of the least solvent states in the nation. I can't believe Daley was willing to just walk away from all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.