main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who will carry the SW live-action series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediOverlord, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I did not know they did but I don't think they would cancel the Star Wars TV Series if it's good.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    When it comes to cancelling programs nowadays, it doesn't matter how good it is. All they care about is ratings. Just because a show gets bad ratings doesn't mean it isn't good.

3. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Well since the TV Series is Star Wars and if it is good I think it will probabaly get good ratings.

4. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes but the fact that Arrested Development remains on the air sdespite poor ratings gives me faith that maybe there is still good out there.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's another reason why Sci-fi would be the bst place for the show- they are ratings-dependent, but nowhere near as harshly dependent as a major network would be.

6. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Right cable has a smaller marktet. Maybe Sg-1 and Atlantis will be gone by that time. BSG can stay it's good tv.

7. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    If the Sci-Fi channel aired the Star Wars tv show, and it turns out to be even half as good as the movies, it will bring them in a ton of ratings. Plus, in a couple of years they are likely going to need something to replace Stargate SG-1 in their friday night lineup. What better replacement than Star Wars.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know about that- SG-1 has the staying power, especially given the "new start" feel of Season 9 (it was almost retitled to Stargate Command as a spin-off, in fact), and will likely be around for another 4 or 5 years at the very least.

I'd actually think it'd be more likely that, instead of simply adding it to Sci-Fi Friday, Sci-fi would use the opportunity to branch out and establish a new line-up on Tuesdays or Thursdays. As it is now, SF has their Stargate Mondays, the reality-centric/alt Wed lineup with Ghost Hunters, Tripping the Rift, etc and Sci-fridays, with a cheasy movie on saturday.

Having a Star Wars show to anchor a new night's lineup would be a wise choice.

9. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I don;t know how many times this has to be said, but the 1.8 million per episode really puts this out of the reach of the Sci Fi channel.
    They simply cannot afford the terms that Lucas will have to get for this show to make a profit if it is going to be that costly to produce. It's a matter of economics.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What are you talking about? They spend that now (and sometimes even more) on their current shows.

11. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I agree.

12. Hyperion51

Jun 11, 2005
    Sci Fi can afford this. I believe they pay 2 million or so an episode for Battlestar Galactica. Star Wars would probably be okay.

13. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    HBO might be way too liberal of a network for SW. GL, though having underlying political themes, will not want to associate SW with other sieries that have as much controversy, Sopranos, Sex and City (I know it's cancelled), Etc. He may want to distance himself from networks that some parents block their children from, a major audience. Sci-fi works well because if you have cable, you have it and more $$$ for SW. Plus, if you have a good show, it is proven you will do well on Sci-fi, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Stargate. On the flip side, if you have crap, you will know it soon enough (why does Sci-fi do so much B-movie crap, I mean CRAP!!)

Personally, Sci-Fi makes great sence.........or maybe Oxygen, I dunno!!

14. Hyperion51

Jun 11, 2005
    The main issue of HBO is that only a limited number of viewers would have access to it. I doubt even some of the more diehard SW fans would be willing to cough up five or ten extra dollars a month on their cable or satellite bill to get a channel that they may only watch once a week, for only a few weeks out of the year.

Not everyone has access to Sci-Fi, but it is much more accessible than HBO. On a number of cable and satellite companies, Sci-Fi is part of the standard channel package.

If he is feeling generous, and if he uses their facilities and/or personnel to do any work on the show, Lucas might let FOX, or their subsidiary FX, air the show. They did help with the movies. Plus FOX comes on basic cable and FX comes on satellite and some standard cable channel packages.

15. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. If the liberal george Lucas has no problem being associated with Republican Fox, trying to say he's afraid of being associated with a "liberal" network (first time I've heard HBO described that way) is laughable.

16. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    We can be certain that GL is trolling networks and cable channels as we type -- and much depends upon the initial scripts and story boards his yet-to-be-assembled writing team produces. These, along with the potential characters and cast are key to getting TV bidders to a fever pitch.

Star Wars has 'brand' associated with it -- very desirable for advertising types. GL merely has to prove that there will be sustainable quality in his small screen product and the price bid per episode will escalate accordingly. GL merely has to choose -- and choose wisely!

GL has the opportunity to appeal to those who saw the OT first releases in-theater, as well as their children and, in some cases, grand-children. SW is one of the few 'brand' products that have such broad appeal across such a wide age grouping. This broad appeal favors the major networks, who live and die on the Nielson's. Yet with cable and dish providers growing, and SW having global appeal, GL will likely exploit his live TV series globally. This favors non-network channels.

My bet is Sci-Fi for the live series, Cartoon Network for the animated one. Expect the live show to be darker, more adult. The animated Clone Wars will appeal to the younger generations more than the non-hard core fanboys and girls.

No edit -- just seeing things that were not there -- if they were, I missed 'em!

17. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    Lay off the crack. Fox is a very, very, conservative network, though it will sell out time and again for ratings (after all they are TV). HBO might as well be aborting babies. Trust me, it will not be on HBO. Too much of a loss of fanbase, and I mean children.

18. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    Lucas will definately get it out to as many people as possible, so I'm saying FOX for the live-action, Cartoon Network for the animated.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> HBO might be way too liberal of a network for SW.<<

Which would explain why HBO got exclusive rights to ANH: SE (bypassing video and payperview windows) initially. ;)

20. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
  21. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    Things have changed alot since then!

22. TheWookiee

Oct 8, 2005
    8 years.

23. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    Yes, even in 8 years. Look at the strife, controversy, and political fallout since just 2000. Hollywood is seeing the worst box office slump in history. Very few sitcoms, series, and shows are doing well. You almost need to smack people in the face with a shocking reality show to get any ratings. Oh God, and I don't see an end to the remakes. What was the last best ORIGINAL thing to come out. Matrix was very original, but they quickly milked that to dust. LOTR, great, but not original. Narnia, Harry Potter, and a few others will do well at the box office, but again, not original. Indie, nope. Superman, nope. More Pirates in the Carribean, more Jurassic Parks.........OK...Sorry...I am ranting. Got wayyyyy off on a tangent here.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though a good flick, Matrix was hardly original- it pretty blanently mixed in Terminator and various anime or kung fu elements. The sequels were more original, but were not as good a movie, thus the sequel connundrum...

25. Rubberdirky

Jan 14, 2005
    I should have elaborated a bit more. I meant the idea of humans in the future as batteries and a matrix as a form of control. Noone will ever be 100% original. It is impossible. You will always see elements you have seen before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.