main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who will the next US President be?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The Gatherer, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    God help us if Al Sharpton gets it (and he thinks he's trying). Whereas many liberals and minorities threatened to leave the country if Bush won (yet to see them do it), if Sharpton wins, then all who aren't liberals or minorities will probably be forced to leave. He seems too radical though (especially after that Michael Jackson thing)

2. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    *shudder*

3. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I would have sworn KnightWriter was right, but according to this site, Jimmy Carter was the last Democrat to get 50% of the popular vote, by .06%. Other than that you do have to go back 38 years to Lynden Johnson.

StarFire is correct that Bush Sr. got over 50% of the popular vote, as did Reagan in both his terms, and Nixon in his second.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's shocking to me. Carter just barely won the election. Had Ohio and another state gone the other way (and Ford just missed taking Ohio), Ford would have won.

That election aside, I think Johnson was the last president to truly achieve more than 50%, a few percentage points aside.

5. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I think that Bush will win in 2004 if he can combat the current finacial crisis and have a war against Iraq right before the election.

As for Democratic candidates, Gore is going to get a remach in the next election, and if he fails then who knows.

Hillary and Sharpton are both idiots, and that has nothing to do with their race or sex either. I am just thankful Jessie Jackson is out of the running, for now.

If you want a black female president, you know who would be good?

Condalisa Rice. Oh, but wait, she is a Republican so she isn't one you would want, now is it?

Actually, if Collin Powell ran, he would win.
    I think the best presidents are the ones who don't want the job.

6. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    I doubt Gore will get very far actually. He's going around like a Jack-arse saying "why haven't we caught Bin Laden yet?" "If I were president bin laden would be hanging by his toenails for New Yorkers to hit like a pinata" "Bush just dropped the ball letting bin Laden slip through his fingers"

I think idiotic statements like this and his other less impressive desisions will go on to haunt him in his quest claim that prize that Clinton ruined for him and Bush stole from him and any other excuse he might come up with. Anyone smart actually would wait till 2008 to run.

7. Lieutenant Tschel

Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 1999
    Yeah, but he invented the internet!

8. Dathka

Dathka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2002
    But right now Gore still has name recognition and in 2008 that will have slipped a bit, unless of course he keeps popping up in the news. But he'd have to pull a lot of stunts and would risk alienating voters. So 2004 is his best chance. But having said that I don't think that he will win. Gore has always somehow made claims or accusations that don't go over all that well with the majority of voters. Like the "inventing the internet" thing (technically he was one of the politicians that helped push the internet into more public use, but regardless of that fact his claim was laughed at as absurd).
    So unless Gore's luck changes he is going to have a really tough time beating a Republican President in a time of war and a President that hasn't made any massive blunders (yet). But then again I know many people who are getting tired of Bush's limited vocabulism (hehe) so if Gore starts articulating really well perhaps he can win this thing yet.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It would be a sad thing indeed if Gore (or anyone) won because of Bush's "limited vocabulary."

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It's not just Bush's limited vocabulary, it's his limited intelligence. The guy ain't that bright [face_plain].

SidiousDragon, PM me with your strategy and together, we will end this destructive two-party system and rule the nation as...well, you know the rest!

THE BUSH CRONIES DON'T STAND A CHANCE!! NEITHER DO THE GORIES!!! (or is that the dems?)

ALL HAIL PRESIDENT VADERIZE AND HIS SUPREME DEPUTY, SIDIOUSDRAGON!!.

V-03

11. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    Just a couple of comments on other people's comments before I tell you my pick.

Re: Ramius

Gore has shown already that he can't win

I really hate to keep bring this up (actually, I don't :p), but Gore did actually won the last election. ;)

Re: EnforcerSG

Will anyone venture a guess if Bush will be a 1 term president? He kept the country together durring 9-11 and after, but then again, the stock market is going down, which people dont like.

I will venture that guess. All President's that failed to get at least a plurality of the popular vote have been one term presidents. All of Bush's rehetoric isn't helping the stock market at all and a majority of Americans don't believe he is sincere when he talks about cleaning up Corporate America (have no cite for this except that I saw the poll of CNN). The only reason Bush's ratings aren't hanging out at the 50% levels they were pre-911 is because of the war on terror. But if we continue at our current pace, I think by 2004 the country will have tired of it. We really have nothing to show for it except we've proved we still have the ability to blow up a small country.

I think the next President will be Senator John Edwards of North Carolina. He is now "secretly" campaining hard (frequent visits to Iowa and New Hampshire). He's very well liked there, so he should do well in the Solid (Republican) South. Tack on a North Eastern liberal like John Kerry with his 12 million dollar war chest and I think the Democrats have this one in the bag.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The guy ain't that bright

By whose standards?

13. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    The media's, of course. And Hollywood celebs.

14. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    Didn't Bush graduate from Yale with an MBA?

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Yes. And a degree from Harvard as well.

16. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Can anyone else tell me some more about Senator Edwards?

I agree that Colin Powell would be a good choice, but he would have to wait until 2008, as no Republican will oppose Bush come 2004.

17. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    By 2008 Powell will be to old.

George Bush Jr. is likely to be re-eelcted at this point, IMHO. Gore will probably be the sacrificial lamb in that case.

In 2008, it could very well be between two women for the top job: Condi Rice on the GOP ticket vs. Hillary Clinton on the Democratic ticket.

And my money would be on Condi Rice.

18. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    Gatherer, you can find info abourt Senator Edwards at his offical website. Here's his bio from there.

Sworn into office on January 6, 1999, Senator John Edwards has emerged as a champion for issues affecting the daily lives of regular people in North Carolina and the nation.

Senator Edwards was a chief sponsor of the Bipartisan Patient Protection Act, strong and far-reaching patient protection legislation that passed the Senate in 2001.

Senator Edwards's bipartisan accomplishments also include a major investment in America's public schools, strong antiterrorism measures, modernization of the nation's banking system, and sweeping campaign finance reform.

The News & Observer of Raleigh described Senator Edwards as "smart, disciplined, [and] hard-working" with "a down-home manner." The Wall Street Journal called him a senator who "impresses colleagues in behind-doors deliberations." The Washington Post said Senator Edwards has "the ability to think on his feet...master complex issues and...communicate in plain language to ordinary people."

Senator Edwards serves on five committees: Commerce, Science and Transportation; Health, Education, Labor and Pensions; Intelligence; Judiciary; and Small Business.

As part of his commitment to North Carolina, Senator Edwards has been to all 100 counties in the state, from Murphy (where he went to a college) to Manteo (where he honored Andy Griffith). Every week that the Senate is in session, he hosts Tar Heel Thursday, town-hall style meetings open to all North Carolinians visiting Washington.

Born in 1953, Senator Edwards grew up in Robbins, a small town in the Piedmont. His father, Wallace, worked in textile mills for 36 years. His mother, Bobbie, ran a small furniture refinishing shop.

A product of North Carolina public schools, Senator Edwards was the first person in his family to go to college. He worked his way through North Carolina State University and graduated with an honors degree in textiles in 1974. He earned a law degree with honors in 1977 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

He met his wife, Elizabeth, when both were law school students at Chapel Hill. They married in 1977, and have had four children. Their first child, Wade, died in 1996. Their eldest daughter, Catharine, is a student at Princeton University. The Edwards household also includes a 4-year-old daughter, Emma Claire, and a 2-year-old son, Jack.

19. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Of course, CNN = Communist News Network

20. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    I thought it was Clinton News Network...or it was till 2000.

21. phantom31415

phantom31415 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    Unless something totally unforseen happens, Bush will win in 2004.

Now who will he beat? Gore? Daschle maybe? I've even heard talk of trying to get McCain to switch sides and run as a democrat.

But the topic is who the next president will be. The next president will be elected in 2008. If I were Gore (And I thank God I'm not), I would wait until then. But I still doubt he'd be elected.

22. Gutter_Monkey

Gutter_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    Who will the next US President be?

I'll tell you in two years.

23. Dathka

Dathka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2002
    Here are my predictions based purely on intuition:

Bush will win 2004

Gore will get his parties nomination but it will be VERY close

Hillary will run in 2008 but not secure the nomination

Powell will NEVER run and will permanently retire after this position

Condi won't run but she will continue to be a powerful figure in Washington

Edwards stands a very good chance of winning in 2008 barring any major political shifts

But just for Presidents:
    An old white guy will be in the white house for the next 12 years. Minimum.

Another guy with ethnicity other then white will become President before a women.

A women President is closer then you think.

And... a Star Wars fan will become President before a Trekkie (we're just more outgoing) ;).

24. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    The economy beats ANY issue you put to American voters, including terrorism. Clinton got away with sex and lies, and Reagan got away with Iran Contra, mostly because the voters were too busy smiling at their pocketbooks to care. If Bush doesn't convince people he cares about the recession and has a solid plan to get us all our jobs and money back, voters will be angry with him (today, the Dow Jones plummeted in response to his saying "the economy is fundamentally strong", which apparently made investors feel he was not going to be any help in making a recovery). If they're angry, they could end up supporting Gore as the Demo candidate AND electing him, partly just as a way of giving Bush the finger (I think he'd rather be beaten by any other Demo but Gore).

Kind of a sad way to decide a vote, but this is the kind of stupid "perception IS reality" stuff that really determines voting.

25. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    Funny thing is, the economy seems to be bouncing back fine - it's the stock market that's suffering. That's being driven by consumer confidence (lack thereof), and fortunately for Bush, he's still got two years for that to turn around. And it will, as soon as the "timid" investors are finished selling off their stock. Once that happens (i.e. hitting bottom), smart investors will start buying in large quantities, and that will drive prices back up. Although it will make all the people who sold at low prices quite bitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.