main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who WIll Win At The Box Office: Spider-Man or Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by JediKnightPasJoDacle, Apr 29, 2002.

?

Who WIll Win At The Box Office: Spider-Man or Star Wars

Poll closed May 16, 2002.
  1. Spider-Man

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Star Wars Episode II

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  3. There Is Another

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Peter Parker's spider senses will be going off on May 16. Sure the web-slinger's movie is going to rock, but Star Wars is probably the most anticipated movie of the summer. And it has sheer numbers to back it. But we are in a fortunate time where this year's summer will be known as The Summer Of The Sequel (and prequels/spin-offs). Sleeper "Austin Powers in Goldmember" could also put a dent in the clones' attack. And the Men In Black are back 2. Let us not forget the Scorpion King, but that is already out, so it won't affect SW too much. But I think Star Wars will win the franchise wars this summer. May the Force be with us all!

3. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Star Wars may be our favorite but to be thruthful I think Star Wars and Spider-man will be closer then we think. Spider-man will win until the week star wars comes out but all in all I feel Spider-man will win.

4. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm going to tend to side with Padawan, and by the way Random, Spider-Man has been more antisipated, if you have been fallowing it's developement, you would know. Believe me, spidy is more antisipated.

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Learn to spell "anticipated" and I might believe you. People have been waiting 19 years for Episode II. I'd call that anticipation...

6. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    People have been waiting 35 years for Spidery to be made into a believable live action film. Sorry, but ur beat.

7. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Spiderman looks good and all, but comparing that to AOTC is like comparing a T-16 Skyhopper to a Super Star Destroyer...there's just no contest. When it comes down to the nitty gritty, Spidey is gonna get squashed, and it won't be pretty. Not even that awesome Kirsten Dunst rain scene (2 reasons for that, guys...no need to explain hehe) can save it from the impending doom of being trampled by the awesome ticket sales of Episode II...sorry Spidey. Bad timing for a decent movie...

8. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I've read both novels, despite the good inside jokes of novelist Peter David, the Spidey novel just lacks a good story. It takes a leap ahead in time for no reason. Tobey Maguire doesn't look like a high schooler (probably the reason for the time jump.) The character of Norman Osbourne is good but there are flaws in him as well. He owns, but doesn't run OsCorp? How's that work? The motive for the Norman/Golbin hating Spider-Man is also lame. And that annoying voice-over from the ads is in the movie. All this is coming from a fan of the Spidey comics as well.

The Star Wars novel is good. Salvatore has a firm grasp on the characters and expands on good source material. Fleshing out characters that, I expect, don't appear a whole lot on screen.

Clones will double whatever Spidey brings in.

9. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Spider-man just seems to have more of a base getting ready. They have been waiting a long time and AOTC is just the second one in 3 years. I think it will be like TPM but bigger for them.

Nothing against Star Wars or anything. :D

10. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    "People have been waiting 35 years for Spidery to be made into a believable live action film. Sorry, but ur beat."

Fallacy. I could be wrong, but I do believe there was a whole Spider-Man live action series and live action film made in conjunction with it during the 80s. Sorry, but UR beat...

11. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    You're right, you're wrong. There were two live action Spidey tv movies in the 70s, followed by a short-lived regular series.

12. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Ok, so I got the decade wrong, other than that, I was right...

13. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    "Raed the whole post" as u once said...I wrote "believable live action film". This is because all the live action stuff was pathetic and nobody really like it. It was almost an embarrisment. So there for ur beat and I retract ur "ur beat".

14. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    "People have been waiting 35 years for Spidery to be made into a believable live action film."

I wonder how much longer they'll be waiting, as from what I've seen, the current Spider-Man movie will be more of a "poorly animated CG film"

15. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Haha, nice ownage DarthZome. I agree. Spidey himself looks decent, but the Green Goblin's metallic appearance looks really poor in CGI. Spider-Man's special effects will be cool, but not nearly as good as Episode II's.

16. DarthPoke-G

DarthPoke-G Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2002
    Spider-Man looks awesome, but c'mon!

Did you really have to ask?

17. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
  18. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    We'll, it's officially in, Spidy broke 2 recods, and is now #1. Star Wars has to beat $114 million. WOW! I hate to say it, honestly, I really do hate to say it, but I dought it will break $100 million on opening weekend.

19. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Do all of the tickets sold on Thursday, May 16 count in the weekend total?

20. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Spidey Spoilers below

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

All I know is Spidey was a good movie. It really is entertaining, but DonC was right. First of all, the Green Goblin's flying scenes look fake, but that's not the animators' fault; it would be difficult for anybody to make metallic CGI look real. They did a crappy job of explaining the costume. I know Peter holds the drawing up, but did he make it himself? Did he go to a tailor? One minute he's wearing a red turtleneck and ski mask, the next he is wearing THE Spidey suit. Similarly, he can't control his powers one minute, then the next, he's awesome with them. Also, I was wondering the same thing DonC said about Norman running OsCorp and ownership? What was up with that? You built the company with your own bare hands but you have no control over it? WTF? That, and I know his vapor stuff made him insane, but I couldn't help but laugh at him talking to his mask for advice about killing Spiderman. I also thought the narrative was kind of lame, esp. how Peter says, this is my story, blah blah blah. That doesn't make sense if they plan on making a sequel... what are you going to say? This is my other story I forgot to tell you about? Oh well. Another thing that was lacking was Spidey's sarcasm. Yes, he was funny fighting BoneSaw, aka the Macho Man, but there was nothing like that while fighting Gobby. And as for the join me or die motive, isn't that a little direct rip-off of Vader and the Emperor with Luke? And that WAS stupid that that was why Gobby hated Spidey. And the ending was lame. Any straight guy in his right mind would not pass up Kirsten Dunst, even if it was for both of their good. What a cop-out to set up more movies. But now for the good things... Tobey Maguire was dead-on as Peter/Spidey. The movie didn't rely on Kirsten Dunst's hotness to sink or swim, but it did help. And the most shocking thing about it... she could actually act in the movie. She made it believable that Mary Jane isn't the ditz she is in real life. Actually, all the actors were dead-on with their characters. The way the movie stayed true to the comic for the most part also helped. CGI Spidey looked good, a lot better than CGI Gobby. The humor that WAS in the movie was funny, but there needed to be a little more, but I've already addressed that. And probably the best part of it... Sam Raimi did a hell of a better job splicing action in between character development than X-Men had. The length was also more satisfying than X-Men. Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a 4, which is better than the typical movie gets in the Sun Newspaper. Overall, a good movie that could have used some changes to make it better.

E
    N
    D
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

21. southbeach

southbeach Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    As a spiderman fan myself, I liked the movie but the CGI did it unjustice. Along with the hokey remark the Green Goblin says at the end before you know what happens. Just kind of cheesy for soemthing of that calibre. My money is AOTC squashing it. I believe thats a safe bet. But then again I havent seen AOTC yet. We will just have to wait and see.

22. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Darth-Zod, good question, I believe it does.

23. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    [image=http://home.att.net/~l.hymn/sp.gif]

24. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    If the May 16th tickets don't count in the opening weekend total, then I think your selling AOTC short. On the other hand, if they do count towards the total, then AOTC has a whole extra day to beat Spiderman's record. Now is that fair? I would like to see the presale figures for AOTC. I wouldn't be surprised if the presales alone beat Spiderman's opening day $40 million.

25. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    OFFICIAL TALLY!!!!: $114,844,116 !!!!
    And official stats:
    The Littany of All Time Records Set:
    - Opening Weekend: 5/3-5 - $114,844,116
    - Fastest to $100 Million: 3 days
    - Highest Per Theater Average Ever for a Wide Release: $31,769
    - Opening Day: Friday, 5/3 - $39,406,872
    - Single Day: Saturday, 5/4 - $43,622,264
    - Friday: 5/3 $39,406,872