main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who WIll Win At The Box Office: Spider-Man or Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by JediKnightPasJoDacle, Apr 29, 2002.

?

Who WIll Win At The Box Office: Spider-Man or Star Wars

Poll closed May 16, 2002.
  1. Spider-Man

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Star Wars Episode II

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  3. There Is Another

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    w00t w00t... I g0t the L337 5p1d3r-m4n DVD t0d4y...

L337 (LEET, or elite) translation: what what? I got the elite Spider-man DVD today...

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    If AotC opened on a Friday it would easily have kncoked off Spider Man, lower screen count or not.

AotC will not make more overall becasue it's a sequel and there are already a large number of people who will not go see it based on what they saw previously.

4. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Hasn't this already been settled? Web-Head kicked major Clone butt.

Picked up the DVD today, too. Walmart had it for $14.12, Incredible price for the amount of material you get. HIGHLY recommended. ;)

5. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Exactamundo on the price Grn... I got it from Walmart as well. I suggest you pick it up there ASAP while it's still that price...

6. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    It was that cheep? They didn't have any signs for the price at the Wal-mart that I was at, and I didn't get it.

7. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I dunno where you got that price Grn but it's $14.77 at Wal-Mart (I should know, I've been selling a billion of them). I still don't see what all the hype is about that movie...I've never seen it, although I have played the game. And if the movie is anything like the game, I'm sure I'm not missing much at all...

8. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    14.12 - 14.77 - eh. So i was off 0.65. It's still cheap!! :p

And are you serious, Reborn?! Spider Man was one of the most accurate comic book movies and most entertaining! I have not played the game - and don't intend to. I enjoyed the movie much more than AOTC.

9. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    K-Mart also has Spidey for $14.87 (our price cheap), plus you get a free set of four trading cards. As for the movie, I agree, it is outstanding. I am just mildly disappointed that it beat AotC since this has lead some of Marvel Comics' egomaniacs (who had nothing to do with the movie) to do some serious gloating. I won't mention any names but their initials are Joe Quesada and Bill Jackass, er, Jemas.

10. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Here's my take on it...

(First of all it was $14.77 at the Walmart I went to in Severance)

Spider-man was better than X-Men... and I liked X-Men...

I found it to be one of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year... although I didn't find it as entertaining as AOTC (of course I may be slightly biased. But still a wicked awesome movie nonetheless.) I CAN'T WAIT... ONLY 10 DAYS TIL CLONES DVDAGE!!!

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Ok, spidy won this bet, this was for the movie, not the dvd.

12. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    And speaking of Spidy, I was at Golden Comics's Spider-Man dvd release party today. They had tons of guests including the geeks from beat the geeks! We had a trivia contest with them and I stump the comic geek 4 times, the tv geek 2 times, and the movie geek once. I AM A GEEK! lol...

13. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    While I hate to admit it, Spider-man won at the box office, and will probably win in DVD sales (does anyone buy VHS anymore?).

I didn't buy into this competition between Spider-man and AOTC, the more great movies the better! And if GL isn't bothered with not being #1 at the box office...it's fine with me. I've always been a fan of Spider-man, and looked forward to it finally coming to the big screen. My one complaint was the "patriotic" overload (after 9/11) surrounding everything from posters, advertising, and cutting out scenes. Other then that...it's the best comic book adaptation since "Superman: the movie"

And the one thing it has over AOTC...is that it's not a sequel (or prequel)...but rather a long-awaited event. For years, Stan Lee has refused offers to bring Spiderman onto the big screen; until the technology could create real-life action that can be compared to what we've seen on the comics. And it's this anticipation for the movie that will spark DVD sales to go up.

Plus, alot of people can't get over that label of "sci-fi" that movies like AOTC have; but they can watch comic-book action movies

14. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    "For years, Stan Lee has refused offers to bring Spiderman onto the big screen; until the technology could create real-life action that can be compared to what we've seen on the comics. And it's this anticipation for the movie that will spark DVD sales to go up."

While I agree that anticipation will cause the DVD sales to go up... I do believe the REAL reason that this movie's taken so long to come out was that people kept joining and leaving the project (i.e. James Cameron wrote the original script and was once considered to direct it, but the Cameron script was the primary source for the script that was used for the final movie product), and the rights kept getting sold from picture company to company and a whole bunch of red tape needed to be worked out before it could be made.

And I could be wrong... but I don't recall seeing any copies of Spider-Man on VHS while I was at Wal-mart... And I do know that AOTC WILL be featured on VHS... so, if DVD sales for AOTC are down compared to Spidey, it could be due to that...

15. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    The official word from your local friendly Wal-Mart electronics retailer (Me): It is on VHS, also for $14.77. So AOTC will be in competition, yet again...

16. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Maybe, but the real question is: why were so many people signing on...then dropping the project? I think Stan Lee's expectations were so high (rightfully so) I hate it when Hollywood releases an adaptation of a comic book, and does a poor job of it ("The Punisher" those 70's Spiderman movies, Hally Berry as Storm :eek: )

And Spider-man stayed with the basics, none of this "re-envisioning" crap (Tim Burton). They stayed with the classic storyline fans were waiting for. I think much of the fans complaints about TPM and AOTC are because A everybody thinks they're an expert and B alot of what GL has done has conflicted with their personal expectations of what was going to happen.

17. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I thought Halle Berry was fine... and I do mean FINE, as Storm... the only thing is, is since when was The Kingpin black (Michael Clark Duncan from The Green Mile)? And I happened to think that the first Batman was fine (that was Burton who did it and who you referred to Geoff, right?) That movie was wicked cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.