main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Who will write The Last Jedi Novelization? Alan Dean Foster again?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, May 6, 2017.

?

Who do you want to write the TLJ novelization?

Poll closed Jun 25, 2017.
  1. Alan Dean Foster

10.6%
  2. James Luceno

29.8%
  3. Chuck Wendig

4.3%
  4. Somebody Else

70.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I certainly hope it's not ADF. The man has yet to write a good Star Wars book.

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    My fingers are crossed for Matthew Stover. The ROTS novelization is my favorite Star Wars book. If not, James Luceno or Alexander Freed would probably be really solid choices.

3. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Oh, that would certainly work too.

spicer likes this.
  4. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    The thing is, I think James Luceno is the best Star Wars author but I don't think he should write the films novelization. My reason is because he is very good at writing unique tie-in stories and based on certain characters (e.g. Catalyst, Tarkin, Darth Plageuis) and him writing the novelization based on someone else's story would be a waste of his talent.

spicer likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I know this won't happen but I wish they would just skip the movie novelizations. Seems like a wasted opportunity to tell a different story to me.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Thing is, I'd rather want Freed to give the aborted Star Wars Uprising storyline a proper closure (because the Lando interlude in Empire's End wasn't enough).

Stover would be a dream. Or James Kahn. How come they never asked James Kahn to write another one? His novalization of ROTJ had some very poignant passages.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Kahn is doing the Episode IX novel.

Grievousdude, Jeff_Ferguson and Grey1 like this.
  8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Is he?

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Of course. Why would I just lie on the internet like that?

Dawud786, BigAl6ft6, DelRiego and 9 others like this.
  10. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Matt Stover should do the Episode IX novel since he wanted to do the final adventure of the Big 3. Ep.IX could be the final adventure of Luke.

11. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It is honestly not all that different from how we choose authors for "regular" books. The criteria doesn't really change all that much though there is some consideration for adapting a screenplay. And some authors aren't interested in that. But that's about it.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE"

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I will read this regardless but hope it is someone other than ADF. TFA had a couple good parts not in the movie but the movie was superior. I'm game for pretty much anyone else.

14. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Freed would be my choice even if I didn't like the novel for RO but I don't blame him for someone else' script being... faulty, to put it diplomatically.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have no particular preferences. There are a lot of good SW authors in the new canon to choose from, including authors who haven't written adult canon novels yet. And as ever, I'm good with fresh blood too.

So long as whoever writes it does a good job, expands on what the movie gives us (context, character development, etc.), and fits the tone/story of the movie... I'm good.

Sinrebirth and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    James Kahn's ROTJ novelization is massively underrated. I wonder whatever happened to him.

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Jimmy's written a few novelizations in his day --- The Shadow, The Mask of Zorro, a junior novelization of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and twelve Robotech novels with Brian Daley that adapted the TV show. He talks about the process and the challenges of writing novelizations in the opening minutes of this interview --- sometimes producers just want you to put the script onto the page, but sometimes they ask you to go more in-depth and add new stuff to it. The process can be easy or it can be as difficult as any other project. He closes by saying that he would probably step out of a project if he were asked to simply put the script onto the page, though.

LelalMekha and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I know this is far fetched but since the fourth SW trilogy are almost guaranteed to be made sometime after Episode IX. Who should write the fourth trilogy novelizations? An older Chuck Wendig or an older Claudia Gray?

Also will Del Rey do adult bridge novels between the ST films? One good thing about the prequels is that there were bridge novels leading into at least two of the prequel films. I didn't like The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster that much but I liked James Luceno's Labryinth of Evil leading into ROTS with some cool space battles involving Obi-Wan and Anakin. Will DR do a lead in novel to Episode IX in early 2019?

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a lead-in novel for Episode IX. It wasn't really possible with The Force Awakens due to all of the secrecy surrounding it, and Episode VIII already has a lead-in (it's called The Force Awakens). But Catalyst is proof enough that lead-ins are still a thing, so yeah, an Ep IX lead-in seems possible if not probable.

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I can get that. As a reader, I have very little interest in a novelization that doesn't take advantage of the textual format to add new elements.

21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

WORD. I want Stover to return to the Star Wars universe. As of right now, due to James Luceno's two disappointments and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn, he may be the best Star Wars author around. If he writes it, I may actually consider reading it and I didn't read The Force Awakens novelization or the Rogue One one.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  22. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Why? Splinter of the Minds Eye was great!

Darth_Duck likes this.
  23. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Wouldn't the author chosen depend on the subject/tone of the movie? It's hard to say which author I'd choose without seeing the movie. But if I'm speculating, we'll be seeing a lot of Force stuff, and the middle chapter of a trilogy is generally the darkest. No idea where Finn's and Poe's stories will go, or if Leia's role will have anything to do with politics. So an author familiar with darker tones and mysticism in their writing, who'd also be up for a novelization? Maybe give R.A. Salvatore another shot (I'm not a big fan, but others like him)? A newcomer to SW? Stover would be a good fit too.

Or just to irritate the Lit fans here, wouldn't this be a perfect project for Troy Denning to enter the new SW universe?

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Careful, you're playing with heresy 'round these parts. [face_laugh]

No, honestly, I think Troy gets worse of a rap as an author than he deserves. His creative decisions are what dragged down LOTF and FOTJ, yes, but when he's given a road map, he's just fine (Star by Star and Tatooine Ghost were both good). It's his own ideas of what fits the SW universe that...don't actually seem to fit the SW universe. A novelization might actually be a good way to reintroduce him to SW writing.

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Stole mine...

Sent from my Moto X-Wing