main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who won the third presidential debate and why?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by darthtuttle, Oct 13, 2004.

?

Who won the third presidential debate and why?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Bush

28.9%
  2. Kerry

65.3%
  3. Tie

5.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
  2. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Bush owned Kerry.

3. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    My vote goes to a tie.

I agree with Mort Kondrake that it was a bit dirty for Kerry to bring up Cheney's lesbian daughter.

I found it to be a rather dull event, really.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Bush waffled and waddled throughout, I voted Kerry.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Draw.

More civil debate, and both made good points.

6. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    Senator Kerry absolutely won. I think that he won this as much as he won the first one. The second debate I think was won by Kerry tremendously.

This debate focused on domestic issues, and Bush's record on this area is terrible. The deficits have gone way up, and there are other examples, as well. Senator Kerry would do a far better job than Bush in domestic policy. His financial and national policies would be similar to Clinton's, which I think would be beneficial to the middle class and the poor.

7. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Now get get to listen to news guys talk about it, even though we decided who we think won.

8. Qui-Rune

Qui-Rune Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Wow. This debate, hands down had the best questions.
    I think they both showed strong points and weak points.
    Bush, once again displays his inarticulate communication skills. I loved how he admitted it though saying Laura spoke better English than he did.

Kerry did well...truely a better speaker, however seemed to be the same "robot" aristicrat we have seen in the other debates. I just can't help but think he simply rattles of statistics without actually knowing them, though. I loved the joke on himself though about marrying Teresa.

I give it to Bush simply for being more genuine.

9. liberalmaverick

liberalmaverick Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2004
    I too voted for a tie.

Senator Kerry started off strong but he seemed to get tired and sweaty towards the end of the debate; that definitely hurt his performance.

President Bush had a better performance tonight than in the last two debates; he was more clear and didn't seem to rely on tired platitudes as he usually does, but he still didn't come to the level that Kerry maintained (until the last third, when he got tired).

Bush's habit of pounding on the lectern is also a little annoying.

Couple of interesting things I noted:

1. I was very disappointed in how Kerry said his health care plan was not a "government-run program". It by definition is, and he shouldn't be ashamed of it; indeed, he should [i]embrace[/i] it. At the same time, he should let everybody know that while the government does play a key role, the plan still involves private insurance companies and does give people a choice on plans.

2. Bush went out of his way to attack liberals and Massachusetts, then at the end of the debate talks about wanting to unite the nation. [b]You don't unite a nation by ridiculing at least a quarter of the population and an entire state.[/b]

3. Bush also claimed that his tax cuts were primarily geared towards the middle-class. While this is untrue, the fact that he touted it as such shows how weak the conservative mantra, that the rich should get more in tax cuts, really is. [b]How do you conservatives who support Bush feel about Bush's abandonment of this principle[/b]?

10. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Bush won, hands down.

IMO if you think Kerry won this round you are in denial. Bush refuted the vast majority of Kerry's "statistics" with his own. Bush practically made Kerry look like a liar in the third debate. Bush also finally took Kerry's voting record to the forefront and showed us just how two faced Kerry really is.

I openly admit that Kerry won the first debate and I think the second debate was a tie, but this one definately goes to Bush.

3. Bush also claimed that his tax cuts were primarily geared towards the middle-class. While this is untrue, the fact that he touted it as such shows how weak the conservative mantra, that the rich should get more in tax cuts, really is. How do you conservatives who support Bush feel about Bush's abandonment of this principle?

I make just over $20,000 a year and Bush's tax cuts have made my take home cash after taxes grow even larger. I see the difference in my income each time I get paid. You absolutely cannot tell me that Bush's tax cuts haven't benefited me. Kerry likes to focus on the "rich" card as a tactic to get the middle class angry. It's a despicable trick and you shouldn't fall for it.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Vezner, it's odd to be calling Kerry a liar when Bush directly said he never said this:

"I don't know where he [bin Laden] is.You know, I just don't spend that much time on him... I truly am not that concerned about him.

March 13, 2002.

12. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Show me a link that gives the whole speech. It sounds to me like Bush was trying to impress on us that Bin Laden is trying to make us dwell on him and the terror he spreads when it fact we shouldn't fear him as much as Bin Laden would like us to. We are on the hunt for him and Bin Ladin is on the run. He doesn't have the power and influence that he wants to have.

So yeah, show me the link because I am not going to take a sound byte as proof that Bush is a liar.

13. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    Kerry likes to focus on the "rich" card as a tactic to get the middle class angry. It's a despicable trick and you shouldn't fall for it.

Bingo.

A collegue of mine is a multi-Millionare and has a substantial income. He didn't get a tax benefit.

14. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I don't think anyone can doubt Bush's resolve in bringing that guy to justice.

---

Part of the problem I have with this upper 1% nonsense, is that the richest Americans often pay less taxes because they have their money invested and live off the interest (like John Edwards did in finding that Medicare loophole to avoid paying Medicare taxes).

It is the small businesses that suffer when those tax rates go up, not the richest Americans.

15. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Part of the problem I have with this upper 1% nonsense, is that the richest Americans often pay less taxes because they have their money invested and live off the interest (like John Edwards did in finding that Medicare loophole to avoid paying Medicare taxes).

It is the small businesses that suffer when those tax rates go up, not the richest Americans.

Exactly. Kerry likes to leave out little details like that.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Vezner, I'm sure the web will be loaded with clips and transcripts of Bush's statement tomorrow, so I'll leave it at that.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Bush. Kerry is a good speaker, i can give him that, but his points were proven baseless.

18. whoblowsthere

whoblowsthere Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2004
    I agree with Vezner. Couldn't have said it better myself.

19. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    I honestly am at a loss at to how anyone can say that Kerry won this debate. Bush effectively refuted most of Kerry's calaims (especially on the area of healthcare and taxes, possibly Bush's best moments.) He also came across as more human and down to earth than Kerry.
    As Bill Kristol said, "a slaughter."

20. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm stunned that people are saying Bush decisively won the debate. I find that nothing short of ludicrous.

It was about even.

21. MoonTheLoon

MoonTheLoon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Bush won, hands down. The three yards and a cloud of dust offense that faltered in the first debate was so much more effective in opening up holes in Kerry's defense. When Kerry moved up to play the run, Bush threw the ball downfield and burned him for multiple scores.

And he beat him on his "home field", so to speak.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    And he beat him on his "home field", so to speak.

Home field?

Arizona is almost certainly going to Bush, so I'd say Arizona is Bush territory.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Just a note now that the debates are over. President Bush often seemed to ignore opportunities to hit Senator Kerry when he slipped up. I'd say he wanted to stick to the remarks and arguements he had prepared instead of following some inane comment by Senator Kerry into left field. Perhaps too much so since he could have won handily if he'd gone after kerry for a few of his statements.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It was a tie, and therefore an important victory for George Bush. It was Kerry's last chance to break out in this race, since the last few weeks will favor Bush, absent earthshattering economic news or a catasrophic event in Iraq.

25. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    Home field?

He meant Domestic Policy.

Part of the problem I have with this upper 1% nonsense, is that the richest Americans often pay less taxes because they have their money invested and live off the interest

Yeah but you still have to pay taxes off of interest.
    I mean their are some shelters but not many.

Here's something interesting...

Did you know that if you make more than $350,000 a year, you are not allowed to write off Mortgage interest?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.