Who won the Vietnam War?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor_Billy_Bob Chosen One

star 7
    IF what the Northern Vietnamese did was called winning, namely losing over a million people, while only causing around 60,000 American casualties then I wouldn;t want to see what losing was.
  2. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    The canadians should feel proud. They're the only people to successfully raid our territory, burn our capital to cinders and come out as a separate world power. Kudos. On a side note: The canadians did not burn down the Marine corps HQ out of a show of respect, whether that's a lie or not, it does sound good for us. :p

As for Vietnam that's a bit tough. Technically we accomplished what we set out to do, and then we didn't. We basically repeated what we were gonna do in Afghanistan only this time the U.S. had the CIA do the work and let the natives do the fighting. We call that Russia's Vietnam.
  3. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    FID - Thank you for your kind words.

Na Wibo - I do not believe the domino theory. So, I don't think the war had any effect on that.

Bob - It's all about objectives.
  4. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Yer welcome, I show respect for any country that could do that to us. So basically what's the talley of countires that did that? Ohh yeah. One. Oopsie, guess one country gets my respect. ;)
  5. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Well i have to say that the Viet Cong definately came out on top, but not by far.
    I also think that all the trade embargoes with the Vietnamese should end. Times have changed...(if it no longer exists im a fool, sorry)

The domino theory IMHO was highly exagerated.
  6. eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Domino theory had some soundness in it somewhere, but was too simple.
    As for who won- Richard Nixon. ;) :D
  7. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Well i have to say that the Viet Cong definately came out on top, but not by far.

Unless my history teacher was lying to me, the VC were all but destroyed in the Tet Offensive. The winners were the North Vietnamese Army, which was independant of the Viet Cong.

And again, the domino theory was rather absurd. "Oh no! We cannot let this inch of soil fall to the evil communists! If we do, the whole world will follow! Suddenly, without warning, and Republican and Democrat parties will go Commie!" It just doesn't add up.

____" AT60 "____
  8. KansasNavy Force Ghost

star 4
    Yep, Domino Theory is a lie capitalists tell little children when they do something bad ;)

"If you don't clean up your mess once, then you'll do it again. First your dinner plate, then the bathroom sink, next the bedroom, and the whole thing will domino until you're sleeping next to a burning trash barrel in a railroad yard."

As for Canada, kudos to them. They're good Peace Keepers, and do alot in the UN. Though I think the British were involved in the raid as well, so they'd get some kind of 'runner-up respect'.
  9. DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Master

star 4
    Unless my history teacher was lying to me, the VC were all but destroyed in the Tet Offensive. The winners were the North Vietnamese Army, which was independant of the Viet Cong.

And again, the domino theory was rather absurd. "Oh no! We cannot let this inch of soil fall to the evil communists! If we do, the whole world will follow! Suddenly, without warning, and Republican and Democrat parties will go Commie!" It just doesn't add up.

Your right on. When you look at wars yes look at who won the battles and who didn't achieve what they wanted to do.

In the Tet offensive alone the enemy lost 30 to 40,000 troops due to the massive bombing which we carpet bombed a 5 mile area of Keh Sanh.

They lost the battle but guess what it did? It showed all the Americans over at home while watching TV that like Walter Cronkite said there is no way we can win this war now. This was supposed to be a sequel to the 1954 massacre at Dien bien Phu. It then turned most Americans from pro-war to anti-war in a matter of days. That was the real victory for the Vietnamese, and all the more reason why like I've stated many times. The press have no business in the combat zone.

The plan was to draw the Americans into the middle part of the counrty and while troops moved down the ho chi mien trail down south and launch major offensives all over the country which they did. Westmorland who knew of a build up of troops at Khe Sanh took the bait, because he wanted to launch a major invasion himself just after the holidays of Tet into North Vietnam.

10. KansasNavy Force Ghost

star 4
    Was any of it Westmoreland's fault? The only thing I know about him is that he was in charge of the troops over there and wanted more and more troops, but that's about it.
  11. DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Master

star 4
    Westmoreland was part of the problem, but at the same time he had his hands tied by civilians in charge in Washington.

He kept saying send more troops, send more troops. Well the problem was that for every 100,000 troops the U.S. sent over the VC would match the number. You see the VC lost SO MANY men and women in this war and they lost every single major battle they tried to take on. They would always loose lots of soldiers but would dig in and recruit new ones. The population in Vietnam was huge and getting fighters wasn't hard.

Westmoreland wanted to launch a major invasion of the north and cut off the ho chi mien trail, and cut the supply route to the south, but this was never greenlighted.

Oh and let me tell you another thing which kept us from winning the war. The U.S. would bomb the hell out of the North, yet never bomb Hanoi. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard or seen. The reason why was they didn't want China or Russia to get directly involved with the conflict, but you know if your trying to achieve victory why not bomb Hanoi?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.