main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who would you have cast as (adult) Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Arthurius, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd say it's a win-win. Anakin is just as well written (probably better written) and as a set of 6 films combined the Star Wars saga represents one of the apexes of world cinema itself.

Sorry but what are you talking about? A 9 year old compared to a soldier who has killed and rather blithely acknowledges his criminal family to his prospective wife ( and people thought Padme should have run away screaming!).

Can't say I did. He wanted to for his father's sake and since Sonny was installed there was nothing for him there at that point.

Not at all. It's right there in the movies over and over again that it's a path that he doesn't lightly go down. Really it's a total no-contest between the headlong plunge that MC gladly takes compared to Anakin who fights it all the way knowing it's wrong until he doesn't care anymore.

Again if Lucas had done the quick and easy turn then I think many people would go on about how great it was but because it's challenging and not just served up for consumption but actually involves working things out then it seems many critics simply don't have the patience to follow the journey. Look at how Kylo Ren whose nothing compared to Anakin is being praised. It's evident and easy.

I couldn't disagree more.

Which is the point. He wants to become evil and has no problem doing so because his father is evil, his family is evil because utter selfishness is the family way. Anakin doesn't want to be evil like MC gladly wants to be.

Erm... No. That is more MC actually because he simply thinks everyone and everything is corrupt already. He doesn't truly believe in anything outside himself. He's a Sith already. He was trained as a Sith all his life.

Anakin actually wants to help people. He gives too much of himself and wants to control things to help everyone. This of course is doomed to failure to the point where it's about controlling everything not for others but himself.

If that's what you see then you do. I don't see that at all. Look at AOTC. Look at everything that happens with Padme. She's is the one with the power. Anakin does what she says in the end. Remember that their love happens not because of him but because of her. He would never have broached the subject again except that she revived it.

And I honestly think that might be THE best performance in Star Wars. If there are ones better than it's him, MH and some others.

That scene is rather awesome I think. So perfectly placed and acted. I don't see any problem with it at all.

Sorry but what is this "something that a real person would say" got to do with movies. They are not real people. They are constructs for telling stories. This is Star Wars A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away! Real people talk would be rubbish in Star Wars.

So he joins the long list of actors who say that. So what? AG said so and was great, MH said so and was great. HF said so and was great. HC said so and was great.

Honestly when is this myth going to end? The way Lucas did things on the OT was not the same for the PT. He was more specific with actors for what he really needed when he needed it. Considering how outstanding the performances in Star Wars are I think he knew what he was doing.

Fine but I place all six there no problem. I mean I think Citizen Kane is great and so is ROTS, AOTC, TPM and ROTJ. Alone and certainly combined they are awesome achievements in human history.

Yet those already have or will eventually be forgotten while Lucas' six movies will take a very long time to fade away.

Here's the thing I tell people. Are the prequels easy stories? No. Do they give away their narrative after one viewing? No. Is it way better the 5th time than the first? Yes. The 20th, 30th, 100th plus time? Yes.

People saw Star Wars "500" times because they had never seen anything like it. That effect still largely held for TESB as well but by the time of ROTJ the original experience was now "old" and so it didn't engage people the same way. It never could. Lucas upped everything for the PT but you could never startle the audience the same way again.

When you look at simply the story then it's fairly simple (though many layered) so anyone can choose to take it simply or look deeper. As fans we look deeper while for the regular audience it's just an entertainment.

Now the thing I find odd is the "serious" film critics who proclaim what movies are great who see all this depth in The Godfather but not ROTJ-ROTS. If we fans can do it surely they can do so as well?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Okay, if you're so good at picking up accents, identify specifically which parts of Christensen's speech differ from General American.

This is simply not true. There are a variety of accent traits which a majority of American English speakers have in common. Newscasters tend speak with an accent that is relatively uniform and perceived by a wide variety of Americans to be lacking in any identifiable features--that is, it strikes most Americans as generic and "accent-less."

This isn't a Trump thing. Come on, dude.

JEJ absolutely and uncontroversially speaks with a Mid-Atlantic accent as Vader. His accent as Vader is largely the same as FDR's in that clip you just posted.

I think it's the stark difference in vocal register that's throwing you off. I thought you said you were particularly good at identifying accents?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    On top of that he has the suit which would bulk him out. It’s not that hard to rationalize.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Stop. There is disagreement and criticism, and there is trolling.

Your behavior as of late is the latter. Last warning.

/heels

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
  5. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    I would cast Tom Hardy for Anakin rather than him playing a young evil clone of Picard in "Star Trek: Nemesis".

6. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Original trilogy maybe (Ewoks notwithstanding). The prequel trilogy stands alongside The Godfather: Part III as a rather disappointing follow-up.
    Who cares about Michael’s family? Michael breaks away from his family. Deliberately and repeatedly. He makes sure to tell her, “That’s my family, Kay. That’s not me.” The tragedy of Michael Corleone is that, in the end, he’s ironically right. He’s worse than his family ever was.

The minute we see Anakin as an adult for the first time, we see that he’s impulsive, temperamental, reckless, and stupid. We later find out that he’s incredibly bitter, angry, resentful, and jealous. By the end, we also realize that he has a violent, murderous streak to him.

Yes, Michael was always a bit cold, which in hindsight helped lead to his fall. But there were opportunities where Michael could’ve turned back, whereas Anakin was basically a walking ball of barely fettered hostility. Hospitalization is probably the only thing that could’ve stopped Anakin from turning.
    Except that he defies his father’s will numerous times, most notably by enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. He even wears his uniform to his sister’s wedding, thus setting him apart from the rest of his family. He marries a nice white Anglo-Saxon Protestant girl rather than an Italian. That’s the whole point of the story. Michael was the one who was supposed to be different from the rest of his family, yet he tragically ended up becoming the worst of them all.
    The difference is that Anakin is pretty clearly insane and mentally disturbed, whereas Michael isn’t. To the end, Michael is obsessed with making the Corleone family “legitimate”, whereas Anakin repeatedly refuses to seek the help he so clearly needs. After Tatooine, Anakin really should’ve checked himself into a psychiatric hospital, and if he was unwilling to do it, Padmé should’ve done it for him.

There’s an actual transformation in Michael, from the idealistic young college kid who renounced his family’s criminal enterprise and served his country in World War II to a lonely, ruthless, murderous monster. Anakin doesn’t transform as much as he finally just gives in to his insecurities and fears and stops trying.
    It’s not much of a journey. He starts off disturbed and then he snaps. Some journey.
    Except that Michael does NOT want to become evil. The films aren’t exactly subtle about it, either, hence why The Godfather: Part II ends on this note:

It shows just how far Michael has fallen from his once-stated ideals. He’s become the worst of his family, which a far cry from, “That’s my family, Kay. That’s not me.”

Anakin spends two films struggling with his true evil nature and eventually just gives into it because it’s easier. In other words, he already had it in him and he eventually just snapped. After the first film, we basically see nothing from the character EXCEPT for bitterness, resentment, anger, hatred, fear, insecurity, jealousy, rage, and violence:

Where do we see such similar displays of ruthlessness from Michael that early on? We don’t see it at the wedding. Even when he must kill Sollozzo and Captain McCluskey, he hesitates.
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl] Thanks. I needed a good laugh. Anakin wants to help people. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

The whole point of the story is that Anakin does NOT want to help people. He only wants to help himself. He goes to save his mother not to help her, but because he doesn’t want to feel the pain of loss. Just compare Anakin’s eulogy for his mother to Cliegg Lars’ eulogy. Cliegg talks about how he hopes she’s in a better place, how she was a great wife, and says goodbye. Cliegg talks about her because he actually cared for her. Anakin talks all about himself, the effect this is having on him and his insecurities because he only cares about himself.
    Try behaving the way he does towards a co-worker. See if that works out.
    Off the top of my head, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guinness, Billy Dee Williams, Peter Cushing, James Earl Jones, Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Frank Oz, Sebastian Shaw, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Pernilla August, and Christopher Lee. All better.
    It’s perfectly placed and acted if you like bad romance novels. If you don’t like bad romance novels, it’s pretty cringeworthy.
    Fine. I guess that’s why I don’t like these movies. Because I’m a real person, and these movies must not be made for real people. Maybe they’re made for extraterrestrials like you.
    Guinness was an experienced, accomplished, and widely-renowned Shakespearean actor long before Star Wars. Hamill’s enthusiasm makes up for his lack of acting experience in the first film. He’s not the most polished performer but he makes Luke Skywalker likable. And Ford regularly ditched the script and just wrote his own lines.

Christensen really didn’t have any of that going for him, through no fault of his own. Luke is a much more cheerful and optimistic character, whereas Anakin is basically morose, grim, and gloomy throughout the films. It’s hard to bring enthusiasm to such a character, and Hamill really skated on that quality. Christensen obviously wasn’t as experienced as Alec Guinness was, and Lucas really didn’t let him rewrite the dialogue the way he let Ford do it (probably because Lucas didn’t have the time or money to recast the character and Ford simply refused to do it Lucas’s way).
    He hired an acting coach on the third film because he knew that it wasn’t working.
    None of the films rank as awesome achievements in human history. Frankly, no movie does. The moon landing was an awesome achievement in human history. Star Wars…not so much.
    Will the first three fade away? No. The prequels have already started to fade away. To the extent they’ll be remembered, it’ll be like The Godfather: Part III- the disappointing follow-up to a great set of movies. And really, even more than Family Plot or The Serpent’s Egg, Godfather III is the perfect comparison.
    But enough time has passed for them to be re-evaluated…and that hasn’t happened. Other films that came out around the same time and initially received lukewarm-to-negative audience and critical reception, such as The Big Lebowski and Fight Club have been re-evaluated. Not so with the prequels.
    Well, it’s all fairly surface level. All six of them are really. These aren’t necessarily experimental art films like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Nor is The Godfather, for that matter. They kick around certain themes and ideas, sure, but so do all stories. And frankly, while some of the ideas, concepts, and underlying themes of the prequel trilogy are indeed fascinating, they weren’t conveyed very well. Roger Ebert famously said, “It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.” And the how of the prequel trilogy is severely lacking.

The fundamental flaw of the prequel trilogy is this. George Lucas came up with a story that’s uniquely ill-suited to his abilities as both a writer and a director. Even Rick McCallum tacitly acknowledged this. McCallum would have a reputation as George’s yes-man among fans, no doubt because of his unwavering public support for the films and Lucas, and that’s not to say that he didn’t have tremendous respect for his boss. McCallum had taken the job working on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles because after a slew of personal pictures that were well-received but didn’t take off, he thought doing a more commercial work would be good for his career. It wasn’t until after the job started that he realized Lucas wanted to do a commercial work, just not in a commercial way, in a way that was actually like the smaller personal films that McCallum had been doing. This had impressed McCallum and the fact that Lucas didn’t have an ego that matched his success, uncommon in film in general, and American film in particular. While Lucas would be regarded as egotistical for disregarding critics and fans, that wasn’t about ego. It was about his personal artistic vision. His view was never that they were wrong and he was right, it was that that’s a valid way of doing it, but that’s not how I wanna do it. Lucas never wanted to compromise his art, whether it had to do with money, studios or critical and fan feedback. That may still sound like ego and you can argue that it is, but in Lucas’s point of view, to do anything else than what his artistic vision says is the right thing is to sell out as an artist.

But however one wants to look at Lucas’s treatment of the series as a whole, his individual personal interactions with people was definitely where his ego was not on display. On the contrary, Lucas had developed perhaps a bit of confidence thanks to his success, but all that did was to help mitigate his innate shyness and insecurity. Thus, McCallum’s loyalty to Lucas didn’t stem from fear but the fact that he could push back against his boss without having to worry about bruising his ego and being fired. Because of that, McCallum had a great deal of respect for him and was, in fact, somewhat over-protective of him in public. For example, when an interview about the digital camera used on Attack of the Clones became unfriendly, McCallum was livid and rose to Lucas and the technology’s defense. So it’s easy to understand why people might get the impression that he was a rubber stamp for Lucas.

But whatever public face he put on, McCallum was far more aware of and perceptive to the weaknesses in both his boss and in the story. While some of the criticisms of Episode I and II got out of hand, there was one point that was unquestionably valid and could not be ignored. So when they were preparing to get started on Episode III, McCallum laid out the reality of it. These are films about character and that does not play to Lucas’s strength as a director. That wasn’t to say that Lucas should recuse himself from the job but that they needed to accept that reality and act accordingly. Denying it on two previous films had not done the franchise or Lucas’s reputation any favors. Episode III was Lucas’s last chance to redeem himself and the prequel trilogy. They had to deliver on this one or his legacy would be forever tarnished.

Fortunately, McCallum had an answer. Francis Ford Coppola had worked with a man named Chris Neil. Chris Neil actually happened to be the son of Coppola’s brother-in-law. Neil served as a dialogue coach on Coppola’s John Grisham adaptation, The Rainmaker, and so he’d suggested Neil to Lucas. While that would be the official designation for Neil on Episode III, dialogue coach, McCallum believed that they should expand upon that role, to have Neil provide the interaction with the actors. This would allow Lucas to continue his more technical directing style, while Neil would be on hand there to provide the character depth that was the heart of the film. That’s not to say that Neil was a director. It was that he was arranging more rehearsals and working with the performers so that when they were on set, they were where they needed to be with their characters so that the acting was that much stronger.

Now, you’re entitled to pretend that these films are glorious cinematic masterpieces comparable to Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Schindler’s List, Raging Bull, etc. But that gives others an opening to pretend that these films are atrocious cinematic abominations, on par with Plan 9 from Outer Space, Battlefield Earth, Freddy Got Fingered, The Room, Showgirls, or Lucas’s own Howard the Duck.

Or you can renounce extremism and come to much more reasonable conclusion that the prequels are films of great vision but that never really deliver on all their promise. A handful of bad story decisions and a director whose skillset is ill-suited to the story he’s trying to tell lead to the films falling well short of what they could have been. Were there reasons for all of this? Sure. Does that make it any better? No.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Obviously I totally disagree about that and the Ewoks as well.

He does and he doesn't break away. They are all awful.

We also find out he is kind, gentle, smart, polite, intelligent, loving and has a heroic streak and loyalty to his friends and loved ones is his strongest trait.

So in effect an incredibly complex character the likes of which is rarely seen in movies. He has selflessness and struggles with selfishness. Witness that great scene when Padme falls out of the transport:

Then of course possibly THE greatest scene ever in Star Wars:

A bit? He was like a hitman from the start of the movie. He pretended to himself that he wanted to be good while Anakin actually was good.

I'm sorry but to me that seems that you are not assessing what is in the movie where Anakin is clearly a good person who wants to help. Instead you are casting him as a mad person which simply is not in the narrative anymore than the creepy stalker is.

Like Anakin defied Obi-Wan? So therefore MC is mad and needs hospitalization correct?

Of course not. I like AP as MC. I think it's great in many ways but then so is HC as Anakin. I like both but prefer Anakin as the stronger role with more character, nuance and shading.

More later.

8. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Anakin didn’t turn evil in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005), because he was already evil throughout his entire adult life. He just changed his name that all. We saw him one movie of him as a sweet, innocent child and three movies of him as an evil adult.

Like I said, Newton’s third law.
    Kind? Gentle? Polite? Smart? Loving? What movie are you watching? I don’t see this guy as being very kind, polite or gentle:

It’s just him airing his bitterness and resentment. Smart? Oh, sure, it was smart when he charged Count Dooku and got himself thrown across the room:

Hahaha! What a maroon! Ha ha ha! What an ignoranimous! Ha ha ha ha!

C’mon. You’re just ****ing with me right now. You know just as well as I do that he was an incredibly disturbed, unbalanced, dangerous man full of resentments, anger, and bitterness.
    What selflessness? He never thinks about anything but himself. “I need her.” “I miss you so much, Mom.” “I can’t live without her.” Me, me, me! And whenever he doesn’t get his way, he throws a gigantic hissy fit. So complex. Even in his interactions with Padmé, he never shows a damn bit of concern for her or her needs. It’s all about him.

“From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything that you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.”

It’s all about his stupid feelings. And frankly, one of the best things Padmé ever does in the movies is put him in his place after this self-pitying nonsense. Grow up and grow a pair, Anakin!

Now let’s look at Han Solo, who I’m told is so much more selfish and poorly behaved than Anakin is. Han actually does repeatedly put the needs of others above his own. Just as he’s about to be frozen in carbonite, Chewbacca starts going mad with grief and attacking Stormtroopers. Han tells him to calm down, says that there’s nothing Chewie can do to help him, and tells him that he needs to protect Princess Leia from now on. Han knows that he might die. And he’s accepted that, and he’s willing to put the needs of Chewbacca and Leia above his own. Earlier in the film, he risked his life to go out in the cold and save Luke Skywalker. He was willing to put Luke’s needs above his own. When he believed that Leia was in love with Luke, he said that he wouldn’t get in their way and offered to step aside. When Anakin believed that Padmé was in love with Obi-Wan, he strangled her and yelled at Obi-Wan for “turning her against me!!!!”

Anakin only ever gives a damn about his own feelings, and has no problem lashing out (sometimes violently) against those who hurt his poor little feelings.
    Not even Top 20. Murderous, self-absorbed lunatic acts like a murderous, self-absorbed lunatic. So complex.
    Where does he behave like a hitman at the start of the movie? I can actually point to several examples from Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) where Anakin acts like an angry, bitter, resentful and insecure drama queen. Whereas if you watch The Godfather for the first time, there’s no reason to doubt that Michael wants nothing to do with the family business.
    No, he’s not. And all my life’s failures are your fault!!!! You and all the other members of this forum! You’re just so jealous of me!!! YOU’RE HOLDING ME BACK!!!!!

I need to become the most powerfulest man on Earth so that finally everyone will love me and respect me as I deserve, and I’ll never have to feel any pain or any other bad feelings in my life ever again. And if I ever do, I’ll blame it on you for HOLDING ME BACK!!!!!

I honestly had a tough time just writing that. But you probably, at best, thought that those were the words of an insufferable brat, and at worst, the words of someone who needs severe mental help. At best, he’s an insecure, paranoid, resentment-fueled mass murderer. That’s what the movie shows. He’s a very selfish person who wants to help himself.
    Michael defied his father because he wanted nothing to do with the family business, because he wanted to be a good person and serve his country. Anakin defies Obi-Wan because of his resentments and insecurities. World of difference.
    What nuance and shading? He’s insecure, bitter, resentful and paranoid throughout and eventually those qualities lead him to betray everyone who ever cared about him. It’s not that complex. Michael’s arc is of a good man who doesn’t want to get drawn into the Mafia life, but events drag him into his family’s business, and eventually, he becomes even worse than the people he once tried to distance himself from.

Here’s Anakin’s arc.

ANAKIN: Obi-Wan and the Council are holding me back and preventing me from being the greatest Jedi ever! It’s all their fault! Once they stop holding me back, I’ll never have to feel any pain again because I’ll know how to stop everyone around me from dying!
    PALPATINE: Obi-Wan and the Council are holding you back, and preventing you from being the greatest Jedi ever. Join me on the dark side, and I can teach you how to prevent others from dying and you’ll never have to feel the pain of loss ever again. Just serve me and kill all the Jedi.
    ANAKIN: Deal!

Some arc. Even without Palpatine’s prodding, it was probably only a matter of time before he snapped. I can just imagine some event pushing him to say, “Now I see it clearly. My whole life is pointed in one direction. I see that now. There never has been any choice for me,” and then just slaughtering everyone in the Temple.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm sorry but as much as I appreciate you going into great depth on your problems with Anakin it's really difficult for me to respond when you are clearly seeing a completely different version of the movie and a character that is barely recognizable to me. This statement that Anakin is insane and mentally disturbed really goes nowhere because he isn't. I might as well say the same about MC and it'd be just as valid.

Again there is a massive transformation in Anakin. The transformation in MC is fairly subtle overall. Anakin transforms from a good person to an evil person while MC's journey is about discovering that he was evil all along. A part of him might want to be "good" (as he perceives it).

Look at Anakin. His mother is killed by the Tuskens. If he had saved her and she was able to recover I don't think there is any way he would have gone back and slaughtered them. MC's father isn't killed but he has to kill the men who tried to murder his father. Now there is a difference to a targeted killing as opposed to a casual one but the character point is that he is already a killer for good so becoming a killer or being a killer is easy to do. Does he regret killing them afterwards? Anakin knows that as a Jedi he should be better than that. He cares that he did the wrong thing.

Kylo Ren you mean? Because you certainly can't be talking about Anakin. I don't know how more evident the journey can be. Again by that standard the journey of MC is totally non-existent.

Now that is something that I can recognize. Yes Anakin is that but also compassionate, happy and courageous. He has both of these sets of qualities. My question to you is why you only see the negatives (that I've already stated from the start are there) but seemingly none of the positives.

Which is my point. It's about him discovering that it is him and his family. He knows that they are evil but doesn't yet recognize it in himself. Part of him wants to be "good".

And there is the difference. Anakin's true nature encompasses BOTH good and evil. He's not evil that discovers he's evil while pretending to or wishing to be good. He is good who find the evil within himself. His selflessness and compassion turns to selfishness and greed. A desire for power to make things the way he wants them to be. He does give in because it's easier to get what he wants that way. He knows it's wrong to want that power.

Some great scenes there which show the struggle of Anakin between good and evil. These are among those I would choose to show all of Anakin's positive AND negative qualities.

Which is why he isn't as layered a character as Anakin. It's good, I like it, but it's not as good.

Which again makes my point and the story point. It's both. Yet for some reason many people assign only one thing to what Anakin does and not both that I and so many others see.

Anakin has both light and dark and struggles. He is a Jedi which means his inclination is to take the long and winding road that is difficult but he's starts to glance towards the quick and easy path of power.

Again it's so clear to me that it's both things. For whatever reason you assign only the negative to it while I assign both. That is the layered nuance of the story and characters. This goes on throughout the prequels constantly as people are more than one thing.

And I think they are all great but none of them not even MH has a more difficult,layered or nuanced role.

I don't cringe in the least at it. It's pretty hard to make me cringe. I would note though that all sorts of things in not only the PT but OT and ST that make people cringe have little to no effect on me. I find it rather easy to get into the mode of a story. For example nothing in TLJ really made me cringe but clearly tons fans were cringing greatly at the humor. I can't think of anything off-hand that did that to me. The only thing I can think of off-hand that was cringeworthy was the Poe to Ren "You talkin' to me?" and that was less cringe then it was just tonally odd a few minutes into the first non-Lucas Star Wars movie after the opening.

I guess after that I really shouldn't go on but I will anyway.

Really though I don't see the point of a personal insult.

HC was as I've said over and again excellent. BTW HF did not write his own lines. Compared to the script what he did was adjust the lines placement.

I don't know what there is to say since he evidently isn't. That is only half of the picture.

Not at all. He got exactly what he wanted. Why is it that if Lucas does something that people want him to do it's wrong and if he doesn't it's wrong? Why didn't he hire an acting coach for the OT then? Why wasn't it bad that he didn't then?

We'll disagree then.

Not at all. They are as strong or stronger than ever. In fact the new movies are making them stronger because while great entertainments of the moment the story weaknesses are making them fade quickly.

By who exactly? Critics? Does anyone really care about them? Fans? Well we know tons of fans love the prequels, like them , appreciate them and since the new movies many who didn't like them have said "You know the new movies are starting to make the PT look better."

There was nothing else to compare them to except the OT. Unlike other movies they are part of a set not one-offs. For so many who loved the OT so much that they didn't feel the same love for the PT was something unique to the PT because there was nothing else. Now many of those same people are finding to their amazement that they don't find the same love for the new movies especially TLJ. It's startling to them to find out that someone outside of Lucas can make Star Wars movies they don't like.

Plus the TONS of below the surface that we fans have been talking about for decades now.

They ARE experimental films. It's one giant 6 movie experiment of mythic storytelling. They are conveyed rather brilliantly but as with anything if one only looks at the surface then fine they work on that level but there is way more. Each one supports and renews the other's story and makes it better.

Again total utter disagreement. George Lucas came up with a story that’s uniquely strongly-suited to his abilities as both a writer and a director.

Which is why he was totally suited to the story he wanted to tell because commercially speaking the prequels are totally ridiculous and ludicrous.

Not really unless they were under the mistaken impression that Gary Kurtz was actually far more important to the movies than he actually was since he failed in his duties on first ANH and then again on TESB. The first time was understandable but Lucas should have reassigned him then. Having a producer who can actually get things done for a guy like Lucas who is constantly coming up with things is not easy. Your on the shoot and going to do another office scene then Lucas says "Yeah the office is out were are going to make it a night at the opera. Let's get that done."

Like RM said he drives down the same road to work that Lucas does but Lucas sees things that he doesn't and never could.

Where exactly are you getting this from? It just feeds off of those who actually believe that there was some deficiency that was valid. If RM thought that this is even more character based then fine but it's not like Lucas was unaware either. Here's the thing though. We can say that all of the Star Wars movies are deficient to many people on that basis including the much heralded TESB.

Again where is this diary-like insight into RM coming from? Also since you personally think that HC was awful (and just about everyone else it seems ) then clearly the plan didn't work. Lucas was very specific in his interactions with HC in particular. In fact many think it'd have been better if he hadn't spent so much time with him on AOTC or some even ROTS. This falls back to the old and constantly set aside notion of Lucas being only a "technical" director.

For them Lucas can't ever do anything right.

Again another useless insult. Please explain why you are doing this?

I'm not pretending that they are glorious cinematic masterpieces. They simply are as good (or better) than Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Schindler’s List, Raging Bull, etc

If they want to then great and add Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Schindler’s List, Raging Bull, etc.to that list then. It's entirely up to them.

How many insults is that now? I've lost count.

They totally deliver on their promise because Lucas IS the artist. No one is film history has had as much total control over 3 movies that masquerade as "Hollywood" blockbusters but really aren't that at all. They are personal, experimental independent movies. We can add the OT to that as well but it's a bit different because he simply was limited in his story choices whereas on the PT the story was virtually unlimited in what he could do because he gave himself the ability to do so.

Again we are seeing two entirely different trilogies. You've constantly insulted me for no reason I can understand and I really should have just not bothered but then maybe that was the point? I don't know.

Anyway once again TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, TESB and ROTJ are right there for me with Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Schindler’s List, Raging Bull, etc.etc. I have no problem whatsoever saying it or talking about it.

No one else could have or would have told these stories so saying he's ill-suited doesn't work. If Lucas hadn't made Star Wars no one else would have. The 3 new movies aren't at the Lucas level and they have 6 movies to copy from (and they have) R1 is about the closest but that is so set in Lucas' movies that it makes sense it would while the ST which tries to carry the story forward is really in the end a soft reboot/reset which is where the corporate mindset is and so I expected that and can enjoy them on that surface level. One of the reasons I can like the ST is because it's so totally dependent on Lucas' movies (and the PT in particular) for it's depth.

I wish they had their own but it's just not there see Rey and Ren to Anakin and Padme.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Let's just say... Anakin is not the only one who has a problem with self-control [face_laugh]

The struggle is why I like the character. It's that moment Luke goes through in the throne room but in case of Anakin, it's happening over the course of the three movies.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm a real person and my name is Kuro.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fun while it lasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.