main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who would you like to see write the music for the TV show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tomtrek, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomtrek

Tomtrek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    I know it's a little premature, but this is just for speculation.

I think it would be a little costly, even for Lucas, to hire JW for a TV show, so who would you like to see write the music?

I am hoping that whoeber writes it, they can at least afford to have it played by an orchestra.

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Michael Giacchino. He is IMO the best television composer. His work on Alias has shown that he has a really strong grip of leitmotif and thematic music. And it sounds so damn good too.
    He has been highly praised for his Medal of Honor game scores and on JWFAN.net they refer to him as the '2nd John Williams' or something. He is an excellent choice, in my view.

3. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    I don't know how realistic this is, or even my number one choice, but I think it would be fun to see Joel McNeely write the music. He's already done one Star Wars "soundtrack", after all.

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
  5. DarthFootball

DarthFootball Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2001
    I second the nomination of Michael Giacchino. His work on the Medal of Honor scores is terrific, particularly Medal of Honor: Underground.

6. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Mike Giacchino. His work on "Lost' and 'Alias' is terrific. At least i think he does 'Lost' because it sounds similar to 'Alias' and its the same producer from Alias that does Lost.

7. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah he scores Lost too.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, when I first saw his name in the credits of the first episode of Lost I didn't quite know where I knew that name
    then I remembered. Incredibles. Which was a cool one. And Lost has really good music for a TV show.
    I sure wouldn't mind him.

I wouldn't mind McNeely either, of course.

But knowing LFL, we'll get someone unknown and/or unexpected

9. Estaban

Estaban Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2005
    Unknow or unexpected might not be bad so long as the music is treated as an essential part of the show. If it's turned into background filler (a la' what was done on pretty much every TV show) it won't matter who because it'll just be canned and recycled.

Think about how Jan Hammer was used on Miami Vice as opposed to how music is used on Star Trek: Voyager.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Christopher Franke

Babylon 5
    Tenchi Muyo "In Love" movie

I think he could do a great job.

Another possible:
    Michael Kamen
    Highlander
    X-men

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Michael Kamen is dead

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hans Zimmer

13. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Hanz would be great. His scores thus far have all been fantastic. Could he carry Star Wars to the television, though. This I wonder.

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Hans Zimmer does pop scores. He was originally a pop artists. He lacks the sensibilities and the training to convey the operatic, sweeping nature of a Star Wars score to anything, let alone TV.

15. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    of course he lacks training.... he doesnt DO any scoring. All synths and then gets his old dude buddy from mothers of invention to score for him. Zimmer doesnt use an orchestra - he's da dsample king - and very good at it. His best work is Black Hawk Down. Excellent.

16. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I think Christopher Franke and Hans Zimmer have distinctive styles that would show too much.
    The composer should continue on John Williams themes by creating new themes that blend well into the old.
    I think Michael Giacchino would be a good choice, but his previous work has often been a little bit pompous and he also has a recognizable style.

How about Jeremy Soule who composed the KOTOR soundtrack? I really liked that one.

17. Darth_Vaderous

Darth_Vaderous Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2005
    As long as they use an orchestra, yes indeed. He was quite good at making that music.

18. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    I would accept the following...

1. Tracked Williams music

2. Original Williams Music

3. No TV Show

19. AwesomeMe

AwesomeMe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    ^ ^ ^

That's just close-minded.

I know it would never happen, but if not Williams, then I vote Don Davis. He has a Williamsy style, and is a fantastic composer, imo.

But Michael Giacchino is really incredible, so I would take him too. Plus I love Alias! Lol.

20. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes because Williams is the only composer on Earth who can write good Star Wars music.

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Joel McNeely

I think he's the best possible choice. He already has experience with Star Wars music since he composed the soundtrack for Shadows of the Empire. Now that was a good soundtrack. John Williams can be the official big screen Star Wars composer and Joel McNeely can be the small screen. It would be perfect.

EDIT: He also did an episode of Young Indiana Jones. So he has a history of incorporating his own work with John Williams staple themes.

22. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Don Davis. He has already taken over Jurassic Park and added some nice themes. He knows how to handle Williams' work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.