main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who wrote the prophecy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe this is more of a EU question.
    Who or were does the prophecy about someone bringing the force into balance, come from?
    A Jedi bible? I wonder how old the prophecy is? Or maybe it was written about the same time Anakin was born?

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It is an ancient prophecy.

Who wrote it, or even exactly what it said, are not known.

My guess - or rather what I choose to believe - is that it was first recorded by the Ancient Order of the Whills around the time of the Sith War suggested by the films.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Per the EU even the Jedi don't know who wrote it or when (IIRC). Just that is was a Jedi prophecy and it more or less describes Anakin's unusual conception and what said being is meant to do. IU, they don't know what is meant by 'balancing the Force', either.

Curiously, the one concrete thing we do know is that the prophecy doesn't say that the Chosen One has to be a Jedi.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The conflict with the Sith mentioned in the PT is meant to have occurred 1000 years earlier, I'm more inclined to believe that the Prophecy was considerably older than that, perhaps closer to the 1000 generations Obi-Wan refers to in ANH.

I do agree that it may have had something to do with the Whills, however. Qui-Gon seemed to have a better grasp on the nature of the Prophecy than anyone else, even if he didn't fully understand it, & at some point he may have encountered a Shaman of the Whills (it's not clear in his dialogue with Yoda whether he was ever in contact with the Whills or merely learned of them). Perhaps he learned more than the power to become a Force Ghost.

5. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Because it hasn't been thoroughly explained as canon, I choose to believe it was written by the progenitors of the SW universe, the Whills.

6. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Just some nut.

7. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My money is on Lando.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Whills would be an interesting choice concidering Lucas stated that the saga is a tale told by R2-D2 TO The Whills many years after ROTJ.

So they made a prediction, then sat back and waited for it to unfold.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Malbeth the Seer.

Oops, wrong franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.